TIME POOR?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TIME POOR?

Post by Stanley »

BUSY PEOPLE?

I heard a discussion the other day about the speed of modern life and how we all had to adapt or suffer the consequences and it started me thinking. There is little doubt that there is a problem and before I go any further I'll admit that this is a Crumblie's view of life! It seems to me that everything today has to be fast, from food through transport and even the way young people speak and dance today. For an example, let's look at the proposed high speed rail link, HS2, which is going to gobble billions of Pounds over the next ten years. We are told that it is needed to expand capacity and shave an hour off the journey time from the Great Wen to the North of Britain.
Leaving aside the question "How many of those passengers need to travel?" which is a separate subject, what will people do with the time they 'save'? Will they be less 'time poor'? We are told that thanks to the miracles of modern communications and wireless connections, they will be able to work using their laptops and smart phones as though they were in their office as they are whisked at high speed on their journey. They will be able to be 'busy' in just the same way as they can work from their sofa at home in the evening while watching their box sets. I am told that many people never switch their phones off and can be contacted at any time day or night and this is an advantage in this global economy spanning time zones. Well excuse me! I have a slightly different take on all this.....
One of the great advantages about my time as a long distance driver in the days before cell phones was that once I set off in the morning for the North of Scotland I was my own boss until I got back. I was trusted to get on with the job and could relax. In consequence I was very productive and there was never a single complaint. I was never 'busy', just quietly working away and getting the job done. Neither I nor my boss was disadvantaged and it was all quite relaxing.
So exactly what is this 'busy'? I have the feeling that what we are looking at here is the distinction between action and activity. How many times have you seen someone buzzing round like a fly in a jam jar and getting nowhere? In my experience the most productive people are the ones who work slowly with purpose and see nothing wrong with taking a few minutes out for a break.
Could it be that those passengers on HS2 would be more productive if they took the time to sit back, look at the scenery and do some thinking? So my advice is to switch off the phone, stop being busy and act like a normal human being. I promise you that the result will be not feeling 'time poor'!

The engineer hard at work! Bancroft 1977.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Re: TIME POOR?

Post by Sue »

Oh I so agree Stanley. My phone is an emergency phone, hardly anyone knows the number...including me. I forget to charge it, forget where I have put it, forget to put the sound on and thus forget to check it. When travelling I love to watch the scenery and watch the world go by. When I arrive wherever I am going I am refeshed, often after a little doze. Mind you motorway travelling is fast becoming anything but relaxing. How nice it would be to have an efficient transport service that takes you where you want to be without hastle.
If you keep searching you will find it
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Am I one of those "busy" people? My phone is on 24 hours every day. I pay double the money to take the high-speed trains and hate it when I have to travel on the normal speed express trains, yet I take the slow bus home from the station. Sue, you can still see the scenery at 130 - 200 mph! Stanley, don't worry about HS2 in the UK, it probably won't happen in our lifetime!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for the comments..... I don't do fast, or even brisk! Slowly and with purpose gets more done!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

chinatyke wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 11:43 Am I one of those "busy" people? My phone is on 24 hours every day. I pay double the money to take the high-speed trains and hate it when I have to travel on the normal speed express trains, yet I take the slow bus home from the station. Sue, you can still see the scenery at 130 - 200 mph! Stanley, don't worry about HS2 in the UK, it probably won't happen in our lifetime!
As most will know i live each day at a pace filling every second. Its nice to chill out on a train. I like fast trains i just don’t like continuous phone calls on them disturbing the peace. I have witnessed more than one persons private life via a mobile phone on public transport
If you keep searching you will find it
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

These days, whatever I am doing I tell myself "It will take as long as it takes" and if I miss a call or something on the Tele, I tell myself "That's OK , if it's important I'll catch it another time".
It's because my mind expects one thing but my body tells me another. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We've been ordering some curtains from Dunelm and having several conversations with the lady in charge of that part of the store. Apparently Thursday and Friday are her `days off' yet she has been taking our calls at home and replying, for example, `after I return from the hairdresser'. When we pointed out that it was on her days off she just said something like `Well, that's the job'. Companies are doing very well out of this sort of employee behaviour.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have full days like you Sue but also like you, I am very good at doing nothing like sleeping in the afternoon or just sitting in my rocking chair thinking, there's a whole world inside my head and it's completely sane and understandable.
Tiz, quite! Think of me climbing into the cab and being incommunicado for the day, being master of my fate and nobody worrying about it.... That's Freedom!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and once more, as topical today as it was then.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well, Graham was right about HS2..... :biggrin2:
This is as pertinent now as it was when I wrote it. So bumped again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Very interesting Stanley.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk

Return to “Stanley's View”