JOHN CAPSTICK

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

JOHN CAPSTICK

Post by Stanley »

JOHN CAPSTICK

One of the problems with getting old is the fact that your friends start to drop off the perch and the longer you survive the worse it gets. I got word from Australia (the wonders of modern communication!) on Wednesday that my old friend John Capstick had died peacefully with his family at Lynne’s house on Friday the 22nd. He was 18 months older than me, 83 years old. This isn’t a proper obituary, John and I haven’t lived in each other’s pockets and so there is much I don’t know about his life. But what I am an expert on is the close connection between the Capstick family and the Grahams over the last 60 years.
My wife Vera went to school with Norma, John’s wife (who slipped away before John a few months ago….) and I first met John 60 years ago when I was working for Harrison Brothers and picked their milk up at Ash Tree Farm, Swinden Moor Head, where John farmed with his father Sid Capstick. I can still see them in my minds eye carrying a 12 Gallon kit of milk between them down to the stand on the roadside. I met Sid’s wife as well and it strikes me that I have known at least four generations of this family and quite possibly five!
Norma and her children were frequent visitors at Hey Farm, they lived in Barlick at the time. Our children grew up together and I got a message from John last year when he found out that our Janet had died, he was so upset. Of late my contacts with them have been occasional meetings in the town as they were doing the shopping but Ian Capstick lives opposite me in East Hill Street and the kids visit so the connection is still strong and I get all the news.
This isn’t the most exciting story you have ever read I know, many would see it as commonplace and nothing special but it’s more than that. It’s a very good example of the glue that holds our small town together. In one way or another we all share each other’s lives. As such it’s important and that’s why I wrote this, to mark the passing of a good man and to publicly recognise the family’s loss which is far greater than mine.
In sixty years I never had less than a smile and a friendly word from John and I have never heard a bad word about him. That’s not a bad record! My pic this week was done in 1978 at their silver wedding anniversary dance. I regret I haven’t one of him and Norma, they were both too busy attending to their guests! If you get an impression of a big, ruddy faced man who looks as though he enjoys life and a good laugh, I’ve done my job. That’s how I remember him and I treasure the memories. A good friend and I shall miss him.

John enjoying himself in 1978.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: JOHN CAPSTICK

Post by Stanley »

Ian called in yesterday and brought me thanks from the family for the piece on John..... Nice.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was buttonholed yesterday by Janet Capstick's husband. He told me how well the piece had gone down with the family. It's lovely to be able to touch people's lives and make a little bit of difference to them in their grief. John was a very much loved man!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The page reads for the piece on John continue to rise. I think I might have hit my target! Nice......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only a commonplace little story but it deserved bumping. Relationships like this are at the heart of why a small town like Barlick is such a good place to live.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped for exactly the same reasons as last year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”