ONLINE FRAUD

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ONLINE FRAUD

Post by Stanley »

ONLINE DANGERS

I joined a club I’d rather not be in this week. I got my credit card statement on January 5th and found that someone had been spending hundreds of pounds of my money on gaming chips! I went on high alert and spent over an hour on the telephone finding the bank’s fraud team and reporting the matter. I was slightly disconcerted when the Indian lady told me it was “No problem”. ( Am I alone in having a problem understanding some accents?) I pointed out to her that as far as I was concerned it was a massive problem but she reassured me by telling me that they would cancel my card, investigate the fraud as it was still ongoing and that I would be credited with the fraudulent payments as long as the investigation didn’t reveal that I was responsible. I have no fears on that score, I am very careful to safeguard things like card numbers and access. So I think I am safe but won’t be fully reassured until I have my new card and can check the balance.
So far, so good but when I told my daughters I found that they had both been victims of similar frauds! Then I found that at least five of my friends are in the same club. It would appear that I have been lucky to get so far unscathed, it’s the first time it has ever happened to me. This raised further questions, how much of this activity is there and how could it have happened? The answer to the first part is that it is a massive problem and costs the banks a lot of money. As for the second, it’s probable that a rogue employee of someone with access to this data has criminally sold it to the perpetrators. One thing is certain, I will never know.
On a personal level it was a sickening shock to my system. I feel that I have been violated and have lost control of my life in exactly the same way as if I came home one day and found I had been burgled. My friends tell me that I must live with it but I think it may take me a while to get used to it. Previously I had been under the impression that the card companies had sophisticated systems running that would automatically pick up repeats of an identical payment every day for six days but evidently this is not the case.
From what my friends have told me, some of you who read this will have had the same experience. If so I commiserate with you, it’s a nasty experience. Can you remember the advertisements for the first Barclaycards? “Your flexible friend”. Until now I thought this was true and loved the convenience of it. Things will never be the same again! I have lost my innocence.

What price convenience?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ONLINE FRAUD

Post by Stanley »

No apologies for raising this matter again, like the poor, it is a problem that's always with us.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

New cards arrived this week, a £100 limit on wireless transactions. I know we have got rampant inflation but just fancy dropping your card in a store and not noticing it wasn't going back in the safe place where you thought it was going. You could be wiped out in minutes.

Scams are not limited to cards. Car park machines built with Star Trek displays, multiple options arrows and slots. Then the scam NO Change given, Unless you have a fistful of small change the easy option is to use £s. Immediately loss of 5-10% of the charge. Not much extra but when dealing with thousands of customers its a nice little earner.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

When I was targeted by professional pickpockets in Nice and had my wallet stolen. The team that robbed me, which included a 7 year old oŕ thereabouts little girl as a distraction, spent £2750.00 in 15 minutes! The €250 cash was an easy bonus. All my cards were cancelled with a single call. We got all the credit card transactions refunded and all the cash back apart from £50 excess on the policy.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Worth mentioning that I had an email purporting to be from my bank this morning saying that my credit card payment is late.... Really? Pull the other one kids.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I still haven't shaken the bad memories off. How many have had an example since I wrote this?
So bumped again....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

No direct losses but plenty of attempts batted on to the naughty step!
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My gmail spam filter seems to be working well, I occasionally check the spam folder to see what's in there. Some are so obvious I'd be surprised if anyone actually fell for those.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

P T Barnum was right Kev, there's a fool born every minute!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”