SEX

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SEX

Post by Stanley »

SEX

This week my mind is on sex.... Like many of us I have always had a healthy interest in the subject and my attention was caught when a friend mentioned that the publishing firm Haynes, famous for their workshop manuals for cars, have published an owner's workshop manual entitled 'Haynes explains Babies'. What a splendid idea and my first thought was "I wish there had been one of those 70 years ago"!
I suspect my experience mirrors many of my contemporaries, in those days sex was never mentioned in the home, a veil was drawn over it and a lot of us grew up with the idea it was 'dirty', even, if our priests were to be believed, sinful. My only public contact was the large notices in every public lavatory warning us all against something mysterious called 'VD' which were a complete mystery to me. I can remember when I was 10 years old looking in the window of a small shop in St Petersgate, Stockport, opposite the public library. There was a tired looking display in the window that consisted of copies of a magazine called 'The Naturist' which puzzled me because I couldn't understand why a book about bird-watching should have pictures on the cover of ladies in swimming costumes playing with beach balls. There was another book on traffic lights called 'The Red Light'. It was many years later before I realised that the latter was one of the first publications about birth control! What I was looking at was what was then described as 'a dirty book shop'.
They say ignorance is bliss but I can clearly remember a conversation I had with my friends in the cloakroom at school when I was 12 years old in which we were discussing where babies came from. I was mortified by the discovery that what I believed was totally wrong! I think that's why it has stuck in my mind. I think you get the picture, I was a typical 1940s child.
Of course, I contrast this with today. It seems to me that 10 year old children today are engulfed in a tide of sex. The internet, the media, education and advertising push images and opinions in their faces and like many people I wonder if this is doing them any harm. I see that now they are being encouraged to question their gender as well. I am all in favour of more education than I had at that age but I question whether we have gone too far. The problem is that the genie is out of the bottle and as a friend of mine once said, "You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube". It's the modern equivalent of Pandora's Box.
It's clear to me that my childhood was an age of innocence but I don't think it did me any harm, after all I was party to producing three daughters. I tend to think we have done our children a disservice and I am sorry for that.

The publication that triggered this article.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SEX

Post by Stanley »

Bumped. Still pertinent I think......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

When I was at Blackburn Tech & Grammar School there was a row of ancient shops with tiny frontages opposite one of the school entrances. One of them sold model railway stuff and that was my hobby at the time and I often went to see what was new in the window. There was one of those sex book shops next door and I always felt embarrassed while visiting the model shop - and there was the anxiety of knowing that if one of the teachers saw me they might come to the wrong conclusion! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good: (Or the right one!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Six years ago I was sounding a warning about children being encouraged to question their gender. I think I was ahead of the curve. Bumped again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”