A PRIVATE FUNCTION

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A PRIVATE FUNCTION

Post by Stanley »

A PRIVATE FUNCTION

In the week when I wrote this my attention had been caught by the fact that an old standby of mine, Majestic Discounts, is in the process of winding down because the lease ends in May and the nice lady who runs it has decided to retire to her allotment, I wish her well and have stocked up with essentials!
It won't surprise you when I say my mind went back to the days when the cinema was still open, my picture this week was done in 1983 three years after it closed. The parade of shops was always popular and if memory serves me correctly Mrs Thackeray had the end shop and it was a thriving lady's outfitters. Malcolm Spensley from Stainton House at West Marton had a tiny car accessory shop and Shambles Discounts were there before they moved onto the Square.
One thing I noted from the picture was the tarmac on the road, there isn't a pothole in sight! Contrast this with the state of Albert Road today, good road surfaces are a forgotten corner in Barlick now. Notice also that the railings on Fernbank Avenue hadn't appeared. These old pictures remind us that over the years we have added to the 'street furniture' to the point where I'm afraid to my eye, we have 'street clutter'.
Thinking about the Majestic reminded me that at about the time I did the picture the Majestic frontage had a makeover for the filming of 'A Private Function' written by Alan Bennett and Malcolm Mowbray, it was released in 1984. At that time I was working with John Miller at Pendle Heritage and often acted as his chauffeur, he didn't like driving. One day he asked me to take him to Settle and it turned out we were going to visit Alan Bennett who at that time had a cottage in Twistleton's Yard. John was at Giggleswick School with Alan. It was a nice visit and when Alan heard I lived in Barlick he told me how much he liked the town, indeed I got the impression that he might have had a hand in selecting the location. Whatever, Barlick got its moment of fame when the film was released and it was very popular.
The Majestic Discount premises are to let and I wonder if and when we shall see another tenant. I'm afraid that large privately run shops like that are on a sticky wicket at the moment. We have seen so many close down, a process that started when the supermarkets killed the corner grocer's shop and over the last forty years has seen old-fashioned businesses like ironmongers chemist's, tailor's and even banks replaced by nail bars, charity shops, betting shops and fast food outlets. I can't do anything about this beyond patronising the ones that are left and I'd urge you to do the same. They give the town character and if we lose them we have only ourselves to blame!

Albert Road and the majestic frontage in 1983.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A PRIVATE FUNCTION

Post by Stanley »

It's a shock to realise that the pic was taken almost 40 years ago!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Can anyone remember the filming?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I was aware of it at the time but worked out of town so missed all the action so to speak.
Ian

Return to “Stanley's View”