WATER 02

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

WATER 02

Post by Stanley »

WATER 02

Water engineering, the manipulation of springs and streams to direct the flow to where it is needed and save carrying heavy loads started very early on in history. Prehistoric sites have been excavated which show evidence of this but to most people, the example that springs to mind first in the Isles is the work of the Romans during their 400 year occupation. Not content with simply diverting flows, they introduced cisterns, gathering points for water, and used wooden and lead pipes to convey water from them in some cases directly into houses. Imagine what a boon that was, a constant supply of clean water running into a basin somewhere in the building. In many ways we haven't improved on that, we still do the same thing today with the sophistication of taps and valves to control the flow and eliminate waste but essentially, it's a 2,000 year old technology.
At this point we should mention the use of water as a carriage system for getting rid of waste. The Romans understood this and used it first in buildings but the best example I know is the reredorter or necessarium at Fountains Abbey which was a communal latrine that had a flow of water diverted from the stream running under the seats to carry waste away. There was also a separate small stream of water at the front of the seats which was used for washing. With the dissolution of the monasteries in the mid 16th century this technology seemed to vanish and we weren't going to get back to a water carriage system until the mid 19th century when, with the availability of mains water in domestic properties, it came into fashion again. We still use the water carriage system.
As the number of houses increased, so did the demand for water. The nearest we got to the early Roman water engineering was to identify springs in the town and install cisterns to collect the water and there were many such 'town wells'. Some houses had their own wells, at times under the kitchen with a simple lift pump. The Vicarage built by the Reverend Milner (Now the Masonic Hall) in the late 1840s had its own well. We know this because of a complaint made when Bracewell was building New Mill, later named Wellhouse. During the excavation of a sand bed near the vicarage for building material, the vicarage well dried up and didn't run for a few years. Harold Duxbury once told me that several of the earliest cottages on Park Road had wells under the kitchen.
Some houses relied on collecting rainwater from the roof. What is now the surgery on Park Road had a large cast iron tank made by the Bracewell foundry in Burnley to store the water. Before the building was altered there were two corbels on the side of Taylforth's estate agents for a water collecting tank. The town was growing and demand for water was increasing. Something had to be done.

The two corbels on Jepp Hill in 1983.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WATER 02

Post by Stanley »

Bumped. We will be glad that we have water today as it is forecast to be very hot.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We went to China about 20yrs ago and had lunch in a “Harrods” type store, on going to the loo I was met with a long queue of ladies, all taking toilet paper off large rolls at the entrance, on going through the door I was faced with four sunken troughs of running water, and squatting over them were women doing whatever they needed, there would be 4 or 5 ladies to each trough, all squatting down behind each other. It appeared perfectly normal for them, but I’m sorry to say it wasn’t normal for me, and I had to cross my legs all the way back to the hotel.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I would have been right behind you Gloria, heading for the hotel that is 😉.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Cathy wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 08:38 I would have been right behind you Gloria, heading for the hotel that is 😉.
I still can’t believe what I saw 😱😂
Gloria
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

This may be a little off piste but a similar thing happened to Mrs P in Hong Kong some years ago. We rook an ordinary service bus why out to some town well away from the normal tourist route. After being jolted about on iron seats nature struck. As you say a long trough but no paper unless you used your own. Fortunately Ms P's tardis of a handbag had all the necessary equipment mission accomplished, reported back that the Asian women are built the same as Westerners..
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

There was no way I was positioning myself behind someone else squatting to have a “whatever”.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We may be poor but we do see life..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We have waste disposal by the water carriage system in the news again with complaints about sewage discharges to water courses. The main reason for this is that we allow storm water and foul water to mix in order to flush the drains and in wet weather this means flows are too heavy for the sewage works to deal with. Hence discharges straight to water courses when internal capacity at the treatment plant has been reached.
We need to know how this came about so we can understand the debate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”