GAS 03

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

GAS 03

Post by Stanley »

GAS IN BARNOLDSWICK 03

I've come back to gas supplies for two reasons. First because of a mistake I made when I said that the reason why our gasworks closed in April 1954 was because of the arrival of North Sea Gas, I hadn't read my research carefully enough! The closure was then but the reason initially was because the gas industry was concentrating production in the largest and most efficient plants and our gas came in from the national trunk mains supplied by these. The changeover to North Sea Gas happened between 1967 and 1977 and whilst I can remember the advertising campaign, I can't remember the exact year.
Secondly, as I said at the time it had been a bit of a gallop and I feel I short changed you so I shall put that right. At the start of public gas supplies it was seen only as an aid to better lighting and the first use was in gas lighting but it was soon realised that there was an opportunity for a whole new industry, the invention and manufacturing of appliances to use the gas for heating by gas fires and cooking on what soon became the standard method, the gas stove in the kitchen. Even the old coal burning 'copper' in the wash house in the yard was swapped for a gas fired boiler. I remember Ernie Roberts once telling me that his mother rented her first gas stove from the Council for five shillings a year. Like the old coal burning kitchen range it was made of cast iron and had to be black-leaded to keep it looking presentable.
This low rent was of course the council encouraging more use of gas and to that end they built a showroom at the gasworks where you could view all the appliances available and order them, you could also pay your gas bill there. Emma Clark told me that when she was at school she was taught domestic economy and the cooking lessons were done at the gas showrooms using their gas stoves once a week.
The first refrigerator that Vera and I bought at Hey Farm was gas fired and worked perfectly well apart from the fact that the cooling effect of the refrigeration element wasn't strong enough to support the built in freezer that became standard on the electric ones. I remember that a draught could extinguish the small pilot light in the base that powered it and you had to keep an eye on it.
Much later of course we got gas central heating which is almost the standard method of heating the house today. At the same time, with the advent of the regional gas boards, we got the gas showroom in Church Street and that was where you paid your monthly gas bill before we got the benefit (?) of computerised systems. One last obscure gas-related fact for you. I recently found out that the WW2 air raid siren was mounted on the roof of the gas showroom at the gasworks!

This building at the old gasworks was the show room.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Bodger

Re: GAS 03

Post by Bodger »

I was working in Hyde, Cheshire, when they were converting to " North Sea Gas" , i remember going into a local paper shop, the gas workers were working on a gas man hole on the pavement from which water was pouring out, a nosy old bugger was giving out about the water coming from the gas inspection cover , the gas worker told him that "north sea gas" was wet at the start and they had to drain the pipes before connecting, nosy went away happy with his new info.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good: I like it..... Do you remember the jokes about prawns blocking the pipes?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and I found I had corrected the previous mistake!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Later, around 1959 or 60 to become my Uncle Bobs workshop and yard for joinery and building work that they did. My dad worked in the firm all his working life. The room above the office upstairs was where Bob French polished the coffins that he hand built. Robert Lambert Ltd, Tel: 2369 day 2080 night. I still have one of the triangular joiners pencils that he had made as promotional gifts for customers or enquirers. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Still essential history!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Oh and we a have covered in another thread that the flat plinth on the top of the gable was for one of Barlick's linked air raid sirens.
Ian

Return to “Stanley's View”