THE BIG 'C'

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

THE BIG 'C'

Post by Stanley »

THE BIG 'C'

I suspect that almost everyone who reads this has had their lives touched by Cancer, either personally or within the family. As many of you remember we have had our share, losing our lovely Janet two years ago to terminal cancer. So before I start to get to the meat of today's offering I want to assure you all that I do realise how serious it can be. You don't get much more serious than death.
When I was young the very word struck fear into everyone and it was only whispered and many times not even voiced. I am pleased to say that today this has all changed and in October when I was diagnosed as having bladder cancer one of the first decisions I made was to be open about it.
Briefly, thanks to an alert GP, Dr Hassan Manzur at Park Road, a minute trace of blood in a urine sample for the diabetic programme was picked up and I was sent to Airedale. After 3 operations and numerous scans I was given a clean bill of health on Xmas Eve, the best Xmas present ever! I have opted for the insurance of six weekly irrigations with the live virus Bcg, the same vaccination many of you had for Tuberculosis. It has been found to be very effective in the role of inhibiting cancer cells and is not at all aggressive.
So, I have been lucky, early diagnosis, an eminently treatable tumour, prompt action by the NHS and the best care anyone could have. I think you can well imagine what my feelings were as I walked out of the surgeon's office, suddenly life looked a lot brighter and I could start thinking about what I was going to make in the shed for my next project! Not everyone is as lucky as this but I wanted to reassure you all that despite all the bad news stories about the NHS and the shortages of funds, at least one part is functioning well.
My mind went back to 1948 when the formation of the NHS by the 1945 Labour government lifted the burden of the cost of health care of our shoulders. I had experience of the old system in what was then Stockport Infirmary (even the name was a reminder of the old Workhouse system) and at the age of twelve knew what a great benefit this was. We hear people like Donald Trump telling the world that 'everyone in Britain hates the NHS' but the man is ignorant. The NHS provides a service that is envied by all and is one of the cheapest systems in the world. I for one will fight to the death to keep it free at the point of delivery and will remember this the next time I am allowed to vote.
Cancer can be the worst news possible, but there again, modern medicine has progressed so far that it is more survivable now than at any time in history. Remember that if you join the ranks!

There will be at least one more engine built in the shed!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: THE BIG 'C'

Post by Stanley »

I was right, there have been several engines built since then!
I am going to get a phone call from my GP soon because Airedale have taken me off their list because I keep declining invitations to go in for more tests. Hassan is going to try to persuade me to go but I am going to disappoint him. I am enjoying life, have no symptoms and am in my 87th year. I think that the resources of the NHS are far better spent on younger and more serious cases than me. I am quite happy to die with cancer, I doubt if it will be 'of'!
I am frightened of hospitals. Let me tell you about my mate's friend who went in with a sprained ankle, was kept in overnight and is still in there in ICU on a ventilator because he tested positive for Covid. His future is very uncertain. Ask yourself whether he would be in that condition if he hadn't gone in.
As it is I am still at home looking after myself and not being a burden to anyone. The longer I can maintain that status the better. Wish me luck!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Good luck Stanley 👍
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think it'll be all right Cathy..... :biggrin2: Keep an eye on me......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Good luck Stanley.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The friend of my friend I referred to earlier never came out of hospital He died and since then my friend Steve who told me about him has been taken by a very aggressive cancer that killed him in six months.
As for me, I am still enjoying life with no symptoms even though they tell me I still have cancer. I am still refusing tests and treatment. I have taken a bet that this is one of the cancers you die with, not of if you see what I mean.
Anyone who has gone through the regime of regular testing and treatment knows that it takes over your life. My view is that quality of life is more important than longevity. It's a personal choice and one that so far I am happy with!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”