COOKING WITH GAS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

COOKING WITH GAS

Post by Stanley »

COOKING WITH GAS.

I came across a wonderful observation by Talleyrand this morning in the Manchester Guardian. He said that Russia is always simultaneously too weak and too strong; discuss. Whatever your views on this, I think that you might agree that President Putin has done at least one great service to Western Europe during the dispute with the Ukraine in that a lot of minds have been concentrated on national fuel strategies.

On R4 this morning we were treated to a ‘discussion’ between two ‘experts’ who had diametrically opposed views. This was followed by an interview with two cooks on whether they preferred gas or electricity for cooking. The cook who preferred gas said that it was better for the young chefs because the excess heat made them sweat. To be quite honest, I’m not too sure about how far exchanges like this can forward any rational debate. However, it did remind me of one problem that has puzzled me for years…………….

I don’t know what the regulations are in the rest of the world but in the UK it is illegal to operate a domestic water heater or fire fuelled by gas unless it is vented to the outside and regularly checked for safety. Here’s my problem; why is it that given the strict rules for these appliances it is perfectly legal to have a gas cooker discharging the products of combustion into the kitchen. The noxious gases are exactly the same, in fact are probably worse because the burners are almost always badly adjusted. That’s it, as simple as that and I have never managed to get a satisfactory answer.

I suspect that the core of the matter is that there is no way that cooker top gas burners can be made safe without the extra expense of an efficient hood and a large extractor fan. In practice the cooker would also have to be on an outside wall.

Carrying this line of thought a bit further, I can’t think of any other domestic appliance that has survived using the original technology for so long. There is no fundamental difference between the latest 21st century cooker and the first one ever invented. Apart from the emissions, could there be a more wasteful heating technology than a gas burner under a pan? My new wonder gas boiler runs at approximately 92% efficiency. A good standard. I wonder whether a gas cooker could get 40%. I doubt it. So the ‘obvious’ answer is to ban all gas cookers and make everyone use electricity for cooking. Here we hit another problem because by the time the electricity reaches your meter it has lost 70% of the original thermal content of the base fuel used to generate it. You then reduce this even more by using it wastefully. So, it’s quite possible that in terms of thermal efficiency [and this is the key to the whole fuel problem] a gas cooker is better for the world in terms of efficiency despite it being 19th century technology.

If you want an argument in favour of nuclear generation of electricity this could be it. The cost of the fuel is such a small proportion of the price of generating the power that the thermal efficiency doesn’t matter so much. So thank you Mr Putin, you made me think about all this again.
SCG/04/01/06
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: COOKING WITH GAS

Post by Whyperion »

Prefer Gas given the choice, have to wait too long with electric. I assume all the gas is combusted , efficiently.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 05:17 I suspect that the core of the matter is that there is no way that cooker top gas burners can be made safe without the extra expense of an efficient hood and a large extractor fan. In practice the cooker would also have to be on an outside wall.
Not necessarily, the gas hob at Park Street was vented just over 6 feet to an outside wall via an extractor and 6inch vent pipe. It certainly cut down on any condensation created.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My electric hob was ventilated like that..... Worked fine until I fired the chip pan and destroyed the hood and the ducting! :biggrin2: Good job I had a big CO2 extinguisher next to the hob. Needless to say it was re-charged immediately and is still in place just in case.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wrote this 16 years ago and little did I know..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”