William Anderson

Jules Forrest

William Anderson

Post by Jules Forrest »

I am researching my family tree and have finally found William Anderson death born 1860 Gargrave and died on 3rd February 1908. He was married to Elizabeth and had 5 children. He was placed into The High Royal Royds hospital on 23rd February 1983 and died there in 1908. I have been in contact with the West Yorkshire Archive website and awaiting his medical records. It was not stated why he originally went into the asylum? They have confirmed he was not buried there. How can i find out where he was buried? Would anyone be able to shed any light as to where to look please. Does anyone remember seeing his grave next to their family members? Anyone know what was likely to have been the case for putting into a lunatics asylum other than the obvious, maybe he had an accident or a bang on the head.
Many thanks
Jules x
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: William Anderson

Post by Wendyf »

Hi Jules, and welcome to the site. I have been having a quick look on Ancestry and see that the family lived in Barnoldswick...you forgot to mention that!
Elizabeth & family are still in Barlick in the 1911 census so I suppose it is possible that William was buried there.
Jules Forrest

Post by Jules Forrest »

Hi Wendy
Yes sorry the family was in Barnoldswick. They first lived in 16 St James Square and then 13 Wellhouse Road, opposite Stanley. I came for a look around a couple of years ago but didn't have his death date then. Elizabeth moved to Cobden Street then in the 1911 census she has moved to Calf Hall Road. She later goes on to marry Thomas Harrison in 1920.
His father is down on the hospital records as being nearest to him, Robert Anderson who was a dentist in 1 king Street Barnoldswick, but he dies before William dies, so someone would have buried him but i don't know who or where?
James Anderson born 1889 was my Great grandfather and was one of Williams sons. William must of been well, for he married and had children but a year after his last son Richard born 1882, he is placed in Menstons.
I am a member of ancestry and my family tree is on public view.
many thanks
Jules
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site Jules. I can't answer your specific questions but this might be of interest.

ANDERSON INDEX ENTRIES AS OF 04 February 2010

1851 census
John Anderson, Crooks House, Bracewell, 28 years, farmed 45 acres. Same name and address on 1835 electoral roll. Same entry 1871 census, 70, 133 acres. 1881 census shows John, 49 years at same address with a son John aged 29.

1871 census
Richard Anderson, Coates Village, 50, bobbin turner. 1881 same address but 60 and no occupation. 1891 gives ‘Coates Cottage’, 70 no occupation. 1881 census also gives Nancy Anderson at Coates aged 83.

1871 census
Robert Anderson, wood turner, Church Street, 43, born Stavely, Westmorland. Wife Rosehannah, 49, born Pately Bridge. Thomas, son, 18, woollen weaver, born Pately Bridge. Jane, daughter, 16, cotton operative, born Pately Bridge. Grace, Daughter, 15, cotton operative, born Gargrave. Nancy, daughter, 13 cotton op. born Gargrave. Hannah, daughter, 13, servant, born Gargrave. William, son, 11, scholar, born Gargrave. Mary Ellen, Daughter, 7, scholar, born Gargrave.

1881 census
James Anderson, 20 Townhead. Same name in Barrett for 1896 as clothes dealer at 1 Church Street.

1881 census
Thomas Anderson. Newtown, 28 years.

Barrett directory reports Robert Anderson, dentist, Commercial Hotel, 1 King Street. 1891 census gives same name King Street, 63 years, also Rose A Anderson 68 years. (wife?) In Barrett 1896, same name and address at 1a Newtown, Temperance Hotel. (Same address as above, also known as Craven House at one time) 1890 electoral roll gives same info. 1899 qualified to act as a director of the Calf Hall Shed Co.

1891 census
Mr Edward Anderson, 58 Rainhall Road. Same name in Barrett directory for 1902 at Park Road.

1891 census
Mrs Sophia Anderson, 34, 16 Railway Street. Barrett 1902 reports her as Grocer on Wellhouse Road.

Craven Herald mentions a firm, ‘Anderson Ltd’ at Union Shed, Skipton.

C1950s
Various mentions of ‘Neddy’ Anderson a butcher. I think he lived Park Rd/Beech Street area. He had the cooked meat shop on Frank Street that eventually belonged to the Muffs. Dorothy Carthy told me this and she kept his books for years.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There is a topic on the old site about a Harrison family at Craven House, and Robert Anderson is mentioned in that. There is a Link here.
Have you looked at the burial registers for Ghyll church Jules? The library in Barlick have the local papers on fiche, there may be a death notice or an obituary.
I had a look at the Menston web site last night, its quite impressive isn't it? I see what you mean about somebody with money coming forward to take him away for burial elsewhere...he would otherwise have been buried on site.
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

I wonder if William Edward Anderson, one of the Barnoldswick medical orderlies on the shipwrecked Rohilla in 1914, had any connection? He was one of the lucky ones who were saved.
He lived at 20 School Terrace.
Jules Forrest

Post by Jules Forrest »

Hi Wendy
Thanks for reply. I will have a look on the Ghyll church records website, I've done the usual searches on google and ancestry sites. The Menston website creates a good picture of what it was like, i have been in touch with the West Yorkshire Society and they did confirm that William was not bury there and was removed. I have checked the Gargrave cemetary as thats where he was born but to no joy. I did come up and have a look around a couple of years ago and went to the library, however i was looking at the wrong death dates, as his wife Elizabeth had put that she was a widow on the 1901 census and he didnt die until 1908, i can only persume that she had to move on, being alone with a big family to care for. One grandchild is still alive and remembers going to his nanna Harrisons. She remarried in 1920 but died 10 years later. So your link should be interesting to read.
It was sad for me to learn that the family had had such a cruel blow and she was left with a big family to raise and was only 31. Williams parent Robert and Rose hannah seemed quite successful and helped out but they both died, within a couple of years of one another and William dies a year later. MY great grandfather was Jim Anderson and he was not a very nice person by all accounts. He gambled and was horse race fixing with someone down the south. He made a lot of money and his family was poor but wouldnt share any of it. The family sent him packing and he left to look for his run away son who was called Dennis. Dennis aged 11 jumped a goods train and got off in Coventry, which is where my family still lives now. James was married to a Frances Kelly who was born on the Union workhouse floor, said to be a Midgley who fathered her and the Midgley family brought Frances up as there own. She was called Annie as a child and lived with Nancy and Joseph Midgley until she married Jim. They all lived in 13 Wellhouse Square. I have very little knowledge of Elizabeth Jones? not sure thats the correct surname.
This ancestry has become addictive and years later im still hooked.
Thanks for your help and i hope you enjoy the family tales
Jules
Jules Forrest

Post by Jules Forrest »

Thanks Stanley I had seen your post, some of the member on the list belong to my family not sure about John Anderson?
Many thanks
Jules
Jules Forrest

Post by Jules Forrest »

Callunna wrote:I wonder if William Edward Anderson, one of the Barnoldswick medical orderlies on the shipwrecked Rohilla in 1914, had any connection? He was one of the lucky ones who were saved.
He lived at 20 School Terrace.
Hi
My William Anderson was placed into a paupers lunatic asylum in 1893 and remained there until 1908 when he died aged 48 years. William Edward may be same family and a relative im not sure, will check my family tree. The Rohilla sinking was very sad as they were nearly home and dry.
thank you
Jules
Jules Forrest

Post by Jules Forrest »

Wendyf wrote:There is a topic on the old site about a Harrison family at Craven House, and Robert Anderson is mentioned in that. There is a Link here.
Have you looked at the burial registers for Ghyll church Jules? The library in Barlick have the local papers on fiche, there may be a death notice or an obituary.
I had a look at the Menston web site last night, its quite impressive isn't it? I see what you mean about somebody with money coming forward to take him away for burial elsewhere...he would otherwise have been buried on site.
Have just read the old forum, all about 1 kings street ect, if you also look on the old site you will see my post about William Anderson about 2/3 years ago. A lot of people commented and added all sorts of info.
From what i know, my relative Robert Anderson had owned the Commercial hotel, the pub and the herbalist etc The building had many uses and by all accounts Robert had his fingers in many pies. As ive stated Robert dies and then Rosehannah, so by 1907 the family would no longer live in the premises. The out houses which are still standing, had workshop type rooms,which i believe were let out. James had horses in stables there appantly. Ann and Stanley did a lot of research regarding M's M2's and how one man, could do so many things? Its all on the old site under William Anderson in Ancestry.
Regards
Jules

Return to “Graveyards and Gravestones”