Marriage in Barnoldswick

gortonboy

Marriage in Barnoldswick

Post by gortonboy »

hi,,my ggg grandfather Stephen Lee married an Ann Lowcock on 14th January 1828,,,
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N22Q-NNT
would anybody have any idea which church they would have been married in ? they were not Catholic,,,so i would guess it would be the local Cof E ,,But not sure which churches were in existance then,,,,and if they still exist, Any help greatfully recieved,,,Mike.
Nolic

Re: Marriage in Barnoldswick

Post by Nolic »

Hello gb and welcome to the site. Others may correct me but the only church serving Barlick at that time was Gill (Ghyll) Church. Good luck in your search. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Or chapel?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Twinkletoes

Post by Twinkletoes »

I am sure there was also a church called St James but I did a bit of research and found this, and rules St James' out!
Brief History
1837 Church erected by Rev.Richard Milner. Unfortunately he forgot to register the church for the solemnization of marriages. This was not discovered for another 40 years so all the marriages which had taken place there over those 40 years were illegal and invalid. It gave rise to the saying that the people in Barnoldswick were all "living over the brush" and is still said today.
It was decided that all the marriages should be declared legal.
1851 Religious Census = Consecrated 1842 as Chapel of Ease to Gill Church
1911 Plot of land on Skipton Road to be used for a new church - the present St.James to be replaced by Holy Trinity (BWK.CE.03), but not until 1958
1960 Church closed 20.March.1960, subsequently demolished and site rebuilt with shops & offices

You might find some information here Church History
elise

Post by elise »

Gill church

Marriage 1828

Stephen Lee of Colne and Ann Lowcock

Original registers at Preston record office
gortonboy

Post by gortonboy »

Thank you for your replies,,,,,,does Gyhll church still survive? if so,,would they have the marriage record still in their registers? :grin:
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Sorry , locals just call the church Ghyll Church, its actually St Mary-le Ghyll and as stated and common with many OPR original registers have been transferred to Local Record Offices ( in this case Preston for Lancashire , Even Though when built would have been in West Riding of Yorkshire )

http://www.barnoldswick.parish.btinternet.co.uk/

Ancient churches of St Mary-le-Ghyll and St Michael’s, Bracewell and Holy Trinity Parish Church Barnoldswick built in 1960.

I think the pictures are in the named order , website appears incomplete
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

gortonboy wrote:Thank you for your replies,,,,,,does Gyhll church still survive? if so,,would they have the marriage record still in their registers? :grin:
Here's another link

St Mary le Ghyll Barnoldswick
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Looks like the C of E have let local websites die off in order to promote a web look of common there.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

It would be nice if C of E dropped in a marker and potted history of closed Churches with respect to St James' ( and Why is St James' Road / Square so named as there is a small distance to the former Anglican Church ) was St James' church have been where Post Office formerly was ?

Reading of St Michael. Bracewell.Originally built in 1143 to serve as a chantry chapel for the Tempest family, St Michael's became the parish church in 1153.
I understand this is the Parish of Bracewell , which seems today to have be an area of very low population, in the past were there more agricultural buildings with a higher population and would people have travelled out of Barnoldswick North in preference to travelling west to St Mary-Le-Ghyll?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Whyperion wrote:It would be nice if C of E dropped in a marker and potted history of closed Churches with respect to St James' ( and Why is St James' Road / Square so named as there is a small distance to the former Anglican Church ) was St James' church have been where Post Office formerly was ?
St James Road / Square within 50' of former site and Square would be around the back of the church. Post office has been in various places around town including Church Street but was on the opposite side of the road I believe. I think Stanley may have a map.
Ian
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

St James' Church fairly simply located on Church Street, view is from postcard-heaven website.

Its the building on the distant far left. The left hand building before it remains and currently houses at least the Skipton building society.

Still there in 1952 when photographer Francis Frith Visited ( As Holy Trinity Not built until 1960 )

I forgot there was more than one newer building in the town centre.

Its the building on the distant far left. The left hand building before it remains and currently houses at least the Skipton building society.

The new shops now beyond on the Church Site include One Stop and Age UK Charity Shop. Google's street view is from sometime 2009 and is a two snap montage here.

Given that the internet info on St James' Church is very sparse little bits of meaningful information help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Meanwhile forward to 1965 and Frith Visited ( or licensed the use of this picture postcard ) Post Office Buildings , Housing the Post Office in the years of Elizabethean Municipal Pride . Style of building reminds me of Oakhampton Post Office, Devon , Mitcham, Surrey and Moorgate, London all typical late 1950s to Mid 1960s Constructions. Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you look in the local history forum, rare texts, you'll find I have posted Warner's History of Barnoldswick which is essentially the history of the church. Good read for you and all you'll ever need to know about Gill Church and St James'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

emma2525

Post by emma2525 »

gortonboy wrote: 06 Feb 2012, 06:32 hi,,my ggg grandfather Stephen Lee married an Ann Lowcock on 14th January 1828,,,
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N22Q-NNT
would anybody have any idea which church they would have been married in ? they were not Catholic,,,so i would guess it would be the local Cof E ,,But not sure which churches were in existance then,,,,and if they still exist. I just want to know where the ceremony was held and maybe get photos as I am planning my own wedding and want to see if a similar wedding dress can be purchased from https://bridal-australia.com.au/.Any help greatfully recieved,,,Mike.
Hi Mike,

It looks like Stephen Lee and Ann Lowcock were married in Barnoldswick in 1828. It's difficult to know exactly which church they were married in since there could have been several churches in the area at that time. However, I would recommend doing some research on the local churches in Barnoldswick that were active during that time period. You may be able to find out what church they were married in from records from that time period. You could also reach out to the local historical society to see if they have any records or information that could help as well.

Good luck with your research!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Emma, the Response from 'Elise' is reliable and gives Gill and 1828 for a marriage with those names. Warner in rare texts is the source for the church history.
As for photographs from an 1828 marriage..... Impossible because the process didn't exist then.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Census and Resource Discussion”