Looking for general advice

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Looking for general advice

Post by Whyperion »

When I have got some census details ( wheres the best free place to view fiches for colne/burnley ? ) , I might be calling on Stanley's files. I have noticed going over the family surname one derivative I did not previously bother with moved from Liverpool to those places in the late 1800s , so would be interesting to find details as I think they became involved in the weaving industries ( Strange as the rest of that surname were music teachers and publishers and retired in wealth to North Wales and another became a trader frequently visiting India { textile connection again ?} and retired to Birkenhead , Cheshire ( and in moving accross the river went out of county )
Of course so far as I can see the Lancashire on line project only covers the historic county of Lancashire and so does not directly cover Barnoldswick.
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Can anyone advise where Wethead is.

Eileen
mosie

Post by mosie »

Hi Eileen,

Knowing where you are searching could it be Wheathead? There was Lower Wheathead and Higher Wheathead and there is a Wheathead Lane that runs from the top of Stang Top Lane,

Mo
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Eileen, almost certainly Wheathead at Blacko. SD845420. I haytimed there in the 1950/60s when Hargreaves had it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Mo

Thanks for that it was a burial I found for a Rose Crawshey at St Bart's Colne and it said Wethead on the Lancs opc so yes I think it could be Wheathead.

Rosamunda Blakey de Colne married Thomas Crawshay de Roughlie 11.04.1726 at St Bart's so think the above burial is hers. I found her baptism at Clitheroe in 1705. She was the grandmother of Jennet Crawshey who married John Higgin. Still no luck in finding Martha Smith, Henry Higgin, or Grace although I think the Henry who died 26.12.1735 (Wendy checked it at Colne) is the correct one. Although the will wasn't read until April 1736? Nor baptisms of 1746 for Joseph Bracewell or John Higgin. Wendy found a baptism of a John Bracewell 25.10.1746 with father John but no Joseph could it be a clerical erro? Joseph named his first son John.

I am going to send for Christopher Smith's will I think then if he mentions Martha it fits in but if he doesn't maybe she was a niece what do you think?

Eileen
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Thanks again Stanley

Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have a lo0ok at the Bob Hargreaves transcript I have posted in Rare Texts. Not immediately pertinent to anything but of interest I think. Not on the archive as far as I can remember though it may be embedded in the LTP.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Census and Resource Discussion”