Bobby Bear Club (Daily Herald) Membership Certificate 1934

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Bobby Bear Club (Daily Herald) Membership Certificate 1934

Post by Whyperion »

One from the wife's family.

I don't want to type the surname as the property exists but is in need of refurbishment and we dont have time or funds to spend on it in one lump so am wary of advertising its location, but I want to get the photos and cards up onto internet before I loose time, most relate to WW1 and the Dewsbury area, I hope they will inspire others in history or family history. (If I Can Find a Similar Site Covering Dewsbury I Will Post Some There).

Wikipedia has some notes on Bobby Bear (particulary the Australian syndication), I cannot post the scan there due to their licencing terms, A creation of the Daily Herald in 1919, predating Rupert Bear in The Daily Express by a year.

There were also members badges avalible (see wiki) and a a number of illustrators contributed to the paper and the annuals over the years.

I cannot identify a named illustrator for this, Possibly originally black and white for the reciepent to hand colour. Item is slightly damaged and torn to one top vertical. From the print code I think these were a batch created in 1928 but that is just a guess.

The membership I think was that the intended reciepient possibly shared a name of one of Bobby Bear's friends. Also I think the family father had worker's interests (we have found his 1920s union and co-op membership cards ) and the Daily Herald from memory I think had associations with the Labour Party.

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Bobby Bear Club (Daily Herald) Membership Certificate 19

Post by Whyperion »

A new image search today finds some of the annuals on sale at marchhousebooks. One from 1931 described as "Original paper wraps in red and beige, Oxo advert to back cover 8.5 x 7.5" with 64 pages. Stories about Bobby Bear, Maisie Mouse and Ruby Rabbit written by Aunty Kitsie with illustrations by Meg. A picture to paint and crossword-puzzle both partly done, puzzle pages clean and untouched, competition page also clean and untouched. Bobby Bear club song on page 33 with words and music. Illustrations on each page of text in shades of red, black and white. Gift inscription in pencil 'Molly from Santa Claus' otherwise very good." Kitsie Bridges as author.

Return to “Miscellaneous Historical Photographs”