WW1 Photographs & Postcards 1913-1919

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

WW1 Photographs & Postcards 1913-1919

Post by Whyperion »

Complementary to Thomo's threads, here is a little place (currently a topic, could be a thread) where I (and others ) can put some photos taken or mailed during WW1 and the years just before and after to give some context. As I have written elsewhere my current family histories include persons mostly from West Yorkshire, one of whom was passed unfit for military service, and another whom married into the family appears to have been in RAMC and thus appeared in many places around the world not necessarily related into one specific regiment.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: WW1 Photographs & Postcards 1913-1919

Post by Whyperion »

First Up, and some of these are common postcards (but priced up on the net at £30 each !) Are of a tram accident in Dewsbury. Oct 12th 1915. Two views published by Hartley, Dewsbury. Both my copies have no writing on the reverse.

I cannot find a reference on the net to this incident, a book British Tramway Accidents (mostly based on RAIB and precursors reports ) may have it, but my copy is in the garage under some piles of other stuff in Burnley. Its possible either the motorman was too old or young for service, or maybe by then women were being employed(they were as conductresses). I understand that tramway services in Dewsbury were provided by the BET subsidary, Yorkshire Woollen District Electric Tramways Co Ltd (http://www.birches.plus.com/page148/pag ... ge392.html) I note that there had been at least one previous tram crash in Dewsbury in 1904, and that a reference to Dewsbury Tram Crash Appears in Vintage Roadscene, March-May 1990 , Vol 6, No22, Pg51.

Postcard photos like these would have been the equivalent of today's instagram etc, the first I guess showing the advantage of plate negatives one per camera exposure, taken to the local photographers prob by his assistant and then printed up within a short time, maybe for sale same day. The gold writing I guess was done by another? assistant and I guess would be eiether per card, or maybe overprinted on a letterpress?

More views, not mine sold for £19 . Publisher unknown, No 8 Great Tram Smash Dewsbury. Oct 12/15. The writer on the reverse nicely explains what has happened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Whyperion on 17 Feb 2014, 14:13, edited 2 times in total.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

It takes me about a hour to scan and file 4 postcards (both sides), excluding trying to read pencil (some in blue and purple which does not scan well ), the sometimes cryptic messages on some of the cards.

Meantime either sent from or sent to Pte Sheard, RAMC. 'a little piece of Malta' (undated poss 1919).
Malta_Sheard_A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Wesleyan Chapel, Thornhill Lees (thats near Dewsbury) I think 1919. By Riley, Bond Street Studio, Dewsbury. This view appears possibly to be a flower festival or similar. The relevance is the Roll of Honour Of The Great War (the jpgs make this a little unclear) . Questions- when was the 14-18 war first referred to as The Great War' ? And were similar 'rememberances' done in other (Methodist Union?) churches more local to Barnoldswick?
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

PTE E Sheard, RAMC, probably 1918, maybe photographed in a studio (painted backdrop curtain?) or barracks prior to service, presumably North Africa or India, given the pith helmet.
Could have been photographed prior to his marriage, as I have a similar pose in my Mother's family at that time.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Southport Water Chute & Flying Machine Mailed 5.30PM Southport 21 Aug 1916 (? mark unclear could be 18) 1/2d Green Postage.

The "Philco" Publishing Co, Holborn Place, London, W.C. Series No 2109 Printed at Our Works In Germany.

Clearly the war had not stopped shops selling, or people buying, things from the main WW1 opposition.

Light pencil writing is difficult to read, let alone scan.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Town Hall, Widnes. Unposted,creased to one side. Published by A. Carrington, Widnes but the under the stamp area printing shows printed in Germany.
Wikipedia tells me this is a listed building and the former town hall, built in 1847. Indeed apart from some changes to the external fencing more current views show the building in exactly the same pose and attire.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

The Lake. Dewsbury Park, W.G. Machan, Wakefield. Black and White Posted Dewsbury 13 SP 13 8.15 PM.

Amy in Dewsbury is writing to her brother Lionel, who is on tour/ based at Widnes (I have his business card somewhere to scan on)

"Dear Lionel, I have just got into Dewsbury at 8 O'Clock, it has been a long journey well with 'Corfen'. your loving sister amy xxxx"

Difficult to read the pencil note, the 'Corfen'? reference could relate the George Formby (Senior) who toured the Northern Circuits with his catchphrase 'Coughin' Better Tonight'(He had a lung disease). Other ideas welcome.

These days with Texts and Mobile calls such mailings to relatives are going to be difficult for future ancestors to find. Maybe a good case for GCHQ and its monitoring and retention of phone calls. A phone call from a box or similar at 8pm would have been no good as unless Sunday Lionel would have been in the pit on second evening house.

Return to “Miscellaneous Historical Photographs”