Postcards 1920 -> 1930

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Postcards 1920 -> 1930

Post by Whyperion »

An place where postcards from what I find a most interesting time, that of the first part of the inter-war era. Nearly within our parents' memory and a time of social and economic change (when has it been never thus).

The family interest is of the rather obtuse comments at times, mis-spellings, cryptic abbreviations, faded ink and pencil, childrens' over scribbles.

I realise this could be the interest equivalent of asking the neighbours round to look at the holiday movies, but we might find some gems, equally could be on threads in the collecting hobbies, but generally I am not a collector, and from memory I think copyright runs out after 50 years from the end of the year in which the (commissioned) creator died for commerical(and ones own photographs) postcard views and illustrations (1911 Cpoyright Act)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Postcards 1920 -> 1930

Post by Whyperion »

One that I think you might like. I have provisionally guessed this as post WW1 but could in the context of others I found with it , date from c1911 to 1913.
Bamforth & Co Ltd, Publisher Holmfirth (England) And New York Series No 2136. Printed In England.

As ever for me the reverse writing is interesting, aside from the lovely Art Deco style printed post card logo, and stamp holder place.

Like many in the collection I think these were sent in envelopes rather than general mail , possibly included in other mail or parcels.

"My Dear Uncle We got your letter this morning. You can see what this postcard says on the other side. We shall be glad to see you any time. My mother is going to write tonight, excuse the writer(ing) I have just come to my breakfast. I like my new job from your loving nephew Ernest"

The writer does not seem to like commas, we are not certain who the uncle actually is at time of my writing. I guess this card was included with the letter written that night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Mailed Bridlington 12 Jul 27. Red 1d Postage. Bamforth & Co Ltd, Publisher Holmfirth (England) And New York. "Comic" Series No 2065. Printed In England.

"Marjorie is enjoying hereself here, she won't paddle though, she is afraid of the water but she loves the sand, she didn't want to come back with her Daddie and she's settled fine. Love Lily and Marjorie."

I guess thats typical of Bridlington, I guess mother and child were left for the week while dad went back to work, I don't know what relation (if any - could have been neighbours ) they were to the people the card was mailed to (probably as the surname is spelled differently to how the family refer to it ).

QA I think is 'Quality Assured'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Earlier Card, looks like the writing could be split over a number of cards.

Kingsway Real Photo Card S6594, photograph is pre 1923 as depicts Covered Market and G N R Station, Dewsbury.

The background chimney we shall see again later when I get further down the pile. The plain and simple station and the bridge on the skew would make nice model railway subjects.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Different Sender on This One. 17th August 1922 12:30PM, 1d Red Stamp , From Flo to Maud (Wife of Lionel)

Thames Scenery , Reading , Berkshire "Jay Em Jay" Series

Of Course This area been just a little in the news of late

"Dear Maud, I Recieved Your R.L. (?Registered Letter?), thanks for some . We are all a1. We went to a flower show & fete yesterday. It is rather wet this morn, but looks to clearning(?). Love from Flo & Boys. xxxxx

Return to “Miscellaneous Historical Photographs”