Colourised Historical Photographs

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Colourised Historical Photographs

Post by PanBiker »

I was browsing the internet yesterday and came across these Facebook sites. I then spent the rest of the day browsing these images and other FB sites dedicated to the same process, totally captivating. Photographs are meticulously researched in order to get the details correct, then the power of Photoshop and a good deal of artistic skill is employed to bring them alive. Once the reworked photos are posted It's fascinating reading the comments, sometimes from people whose relatives are featured or had similar roles, particularly the during the wars.

Colourising History

WW2 Colourised Photos
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Re: Colourised Historical Photographs

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for the links Ian. They are remarkable indeed. I've seen lots of such pictures, but none which have brought it all to life in such a way. They are real people now.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not being a member or intending to sign up, they lock me out.... Probably saved me a lot of time!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Worth joining for I'd say. You can join and remain fairly anonymous if you choose to.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I was just about to say the same thing Tripps. I'm puzzled, Stanley's reluctance to engage with FB cannot be down to security concerns as he gladly publishes a lot more information about himself on here than would be required for Facebook?
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Fascinating. Much more subtle than the hand colouring my mum was doing at Leaches in Brighouse during the war.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Started a new thread to discuss social media.

Back on topic. I found some of the most evocative pictures were the ones of the kids in the dust bowl in the 1930's. Certainly brings home the meaning of "dirt poor". Another stunning image is the one of the two guys sleeping in the foxhole, the striking feature of this one is the amount of detritus of war and how the colourisation brings out the detail of the equipment surrounding their temporary world.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

WWI Colourised Photo's

Not far down the page, check out the "Observation Tree", talk about a high risk job!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Simple answer. Nobody can be totally private but the fewer people gathering data about you the better. See THIS for one opinion about Facebook. All the social media sites make money by collecting and selling data that's how they run a 'free' service. I'd rather stay out of their reach..... Besides, I have enough to occupy me without additional demands from these sites. It's bad enough to be still in limbo over my account at Talktalk without additional concerns. So don't be puzzled, it's just a personal preference. Rejecting smart phones and social media isn't necessarily an indication of eccentricity.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley, who mentioned eccentricity or smartphones? An irrational fear but not certainly not eccentric.

You have made over 25,000 posts on here on a whole range of subjects, quite a data set. Anyone visiting the site can glean a great deal of personal information from your day to day posts such as your sleeping habits, daily routine, favorite subjects, interests and even what you eat each day. A simple search on here will reveal your entire life story which you have conveniently provided for anyone who wishes to look. You are also a published author of a large number of volumes which are available to the world via the internet for a few quid apiece and a few clicks. With a data footprint such as this already in the wild so to speak, your anonymity has already been blown, no real point in trying to hide in a glass box.

You say, "the fewer people gathering data about you the better", I can't for the life in me think what else you could give, (apart from bank details) that is not (A) already on here or (B) what anyone would want.

I don't think you are adverse to shopping online though for the odd bit of kit so, if that is the case and you have used a credit or debit card to pay, coupled with your almost perfect data footprint you are just as doomed as the rest of us.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thank you for your concern.... I mentioned eccentricity and smart phones. There is a vast difference between what I choose to post and divulge and information gathered in a clandestine manner. I shall continue in my own sweet way.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This discussion makes me think of the current fuss about whether the police should have more access to browsing data. People are getting very worked up about it but seem to forget that private companies such as Google already have the data and will do whatever they like with it because they believe themselves `above the law'. If we ever have an extreme government (let alone a dictator) it will take what information it wants from where it wants, regardless of any decisions we make now about privacy.. The problems are not so much about who collects what but more about what they do with it. Many companies and institutions have our data already; the important thing is what they do with it and how secure they keep it from criminals. I've signed up to Twitter and Facebook so that when necessary I can use them to make contact with those companies that now seem only to respond complaints made on social media. I don't have to use my credit card on the sites or tell them my personal data. By having signed up I can now view photos etc that were not accessible to me before.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Wendyf wrote:Fascinating. Much more subtle than the hand colouring my mum was doing at Leaches in Brighouse during the war.
What kind of stuff did your mum do Wendy?

I have a standard studio hand coloured photo of my dad in his uniform from 1939, I think a lot of lads had these done.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I think it was mostly studio portraits at that time Ian, Leaches had a big art department, I just pinched this photo from their website. (I've found the "snipping tool" on my computer...brilliant!)
Leaches.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

More or less an industrial scale process then Wendy, fascinating, my dads will have been done the same. Must have a look to see if says where it was done.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Here's one she did of herself.
Tinted beach pic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote:Stanley, who mentioned eccentricity or smartphones? An irrational fear but not certainly not eccentric.

You have made over 25,000 posts on here on a whole range of subjects, quite a data set. Anyone visiting the site can glean a great deal of personal information from your day to day posts such as your sleeping habits, daily routine, favorite subjects, interests and even what you eat each day. A simple search on here will reveal your entire life story which you have conveniently provided for anyone who wishes to look. You are also a published author of a large number of volumes which are available to the world via the internet for a few quid apiece and a few clicks. With a data footprint such as this already in the wild so to speak, your anonymity has already been blown, no real point in trying to hide in a glass box.

You say, "the fewer people gathering data about you the better", I can't for the life in me think what else you could give, (apart from bank details) that is not (A) already on here or (B) what anyone would want.

I don't think you are adverse to shopping online though for the odd bit of kit so, if that is the case and you have used a credit or debit card to pay, coupled with your almost perfect data footprint you are just as doomed as the rest of us.
I think they might be looking for the subliminal coded messages the posts really contain, I mean, whom really creates engineering minatures in their shed, ( they have the luxury of a Shed - where do they think they are ? ), doesn't own a car and cooks their own dinner these days ?

I think I confused Tesco Club Card the day a large superstore opened within drivable distance of my abode, shopping all I could think of buying was megapack of Toilet Roll, a large bag of cat litter and a 44 box of Whiskas.
BillHowcroft
Donor

Post by BillHowcroft »

I think colouring these old photos really brings them to life.
Does anyone know which software the colourists typically use?

My wife has her maternal grandparents' wedding picture from 1912 which is hand tinted.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The first post on the WWII site has a video of the basic procedures that are used Bill. I think quite a few use Photoshop, expertly I would hasten to add.

WW2 Colourised Photos
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bill, I have an early pic of my mother which is black and white but it has been enhanced with black pencil shading.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

BillHowcroft
Donor

Post by BillHowcroft »

Thanks I'll look into that. Photoshop https://www.facebook.com/worldwarincolo ... 772442185/
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just had a read through this thread. Photoshop is great for colouring images, I quite enjoy it.
received_2161688850786968.jpeg
I believe I've posted these before on another thread, it's my parents' wedding day in 1959.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Miscellaneous Historical Photographs”