Minor glitches

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Minor glitches

Post by PanBiker »

I have just noticed when visiting the Logo Poll page that it displays the results rather than the poll. Is that because I have already voted?

If not it could be a problem for first time visitors. I notice Stanley has voted in his post. Is this because he could not get to the poll?
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Ian
This particular poll was set up to allow only one vote per user, after you have voted it displays the results. It doesn't show you them until you have voted
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Doc, I've posted my first image in the Practice forum but it shows not only the image but the camera's EXIF data too. Did I miss something? I entered the location of the image (on my PC) in the attachment upload box below the Post dialog box. I looked in the FAQs and the BBCode pages but couldn't find anything more about images - it seemed to only cover images on the Internet linked in to OG.
Last edited by Tizer on 25 Jan 2012, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I just sent a PM to Cathy as a test. It said it was sent Ok but it does not show in Sent Messages. There is one bracketed entry in the Outbox.
Re-opening message confirms it was sent though.
Last edited by PanBiker on 25 Jan 2012, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Tizer wrote:Doc, I've posted my first image in the Practice forum but it shows not only the image but the camera's EXIF data too. Did I miss something? I entered the location of the image (on my PC) in the attachment upload box below the Post dialog box. I looked in the FAQs and the BBCode pages but couldn't find anything more about images - it seemed to only cover images on the Internet linked in to OG.
sorted it, i have turned off the e-xif feature
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Don't mind if my witchy can't jig.
I am doing something wrong with the arcade--I have had a few private messages from it telling me someone has beaten my score. Not worried about someone doing that, but cannot fathom how not to get these messages.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Gloria

I can turn off the arcade PM's across the board but I'm not sure if I or you can turn them off individually, I'll go and have look and get back to you

Edited: Refer to this topic How To Turn Off PM's From the Arcade
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Ta Doc.
Gloria
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

Doc wrote:Catty you were right they were not in the gallery, the vet snipped em off and left them on the table after he had gone

my Cat was playing with them, but I rinsed em before posting them here.
You were right kind sir. I found them. Thank you very much.
Still quite a snug fit despite the attentions of you moggy.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

From the Portal or Board Index pages, there does not seem to be a link to activate the Advanced Search facility.

Advanced Search only seems to become available from some topic choices as a "Return to Advance Search" hyperlink.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

There are a number of ways to search

The Search on the Main Header - Searches all the forums
The Advanced Search Under the Search Box on the Main header - User Selectable Search Options - It's a dark link that I need to change (When I can Find it in the code)
The Forum Search that appears next to the top "New Topic" Button when your actually in a forum - this will search that forum only

When you visit a topic from say "View Unanswered Posts" it will display the advanced search box because that is where it came from The link "Unanswered Posts" is just a complex search query term wrapped up inside a link.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Although I can't see it, it does announce when you point in the area below the ordinary search. You have to know where it is though. Thanks for the information anyway, probably of use to more users than just me.

As an aside, with the multitasking that you have been doing on the site, can you turn off your head when you eventually hit the sack?

I know when I used to have particulary heavy technical days it was sometimes a bit of a trial.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Yes I've been there, sometimes your that tired mentally and your head is so full of things to do, your mind is just turning over that much that you can't get to sleep.

Nowadays I leave it all in the computer and once it's turned off, It leaves my head clear and can sleep like a baby. It took a lot of practise and many sleepless nights but I've mastered it now.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Newshound Feeds : Could be useful but in the latest postings they tend to take over , can they be deleted out of that area so they dont feed in ( could have there own latest news feed section ? ).
Arcade Games , dont mind the email telling been beaten , but can it come from a user other than webmaster otherwise I think it is important I have to look/reply.
Calendar - Any chance of coming back , I was starting to plan my life around it ( and would find register of attendees useful too )
Missing old site users , Stanley I dont think you need worry people will register as they have the next bit of information they want to post , though viewing and registering was a bit of a task in the first couple of days of the new website , it is settling down now.
Do we need site goals on the home page ( are many that interested in numbers for the sake of them , its a bit measuring quantity and not quality.
Other than these non critical points many thanks I am sure the new site will become as loved if not more so than the old one.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Doc, not a glitch but a question. Is there a way of linking to a specific OG post rather than simply to the page upon which the post is shown? I ask because it would be very useful and I notice that the Search function can find specific posts containing keywords, not just threads.

And while you're at it, can we have something that dispenses drinks and sandwiches to keep us sustained? :grin:
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Tizer wrote:Doc, not a glitch but a question. Is there a way of linking to a specific OG post rather than simply to the page upon which the post is shown? I ask because it would be very useful and I notice that the Search function can find specific posts containing keywords, not just threads.

And while you're at it, can we have something that dispenses drinks and sandwiches to keep us sustained? :grin:

Hoepfully this link will take you to one of my previous posts in the calendar topic My Post Halfway down on page 2 In Calendar Comp

The Url for this is http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/view ... rt=25#p795

Where I got that Url from was above my post in that topic I clicked on where it said "Re: Monthly Calendar Competition" then copied the url from the browser Nav Bar
screen1.jpg
Then I pasted it into a new post on this topic using the {url=http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/view ... 25#p795}My Post Halfway down on page 2 In Calendar Comp{/url]}
Please note I substituted [ for { to stop it producing an actual Url on this post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

I thought I couldn’t see the “Thanks” button but I’ve just discovered it appears as a thumbs up icon on the post of the person you’re thanking (not in your own input area - doh!)
:thankyou: :thumbsup: :thumbsup3: :good:
I’ve also just discovered there’s more than one page of Smilies to choose from ...
:mexwave:
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Ah Callunna I have just noticed the thumbs up thanks to you.
Gloria
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Doc, thanks, that's a very useful trick that I hadn't known about and will make it much easier to direct people to past posts.

Now then, here's another thing. I'm using Firefox 9.0.1 on Ubuntu Linux and find that tabs are titled differently compared with the old OG site. On this new site, every OG tab I open is titled `OneGuyFromBarlick' and I can't tell one from another without clicking them open - tricky for people like me who tend to end up with half a dozen tabs on the go! On the old site the tabs showed the thread title which was much more useful. Any chance of setting it that way on the new site please? (No hurry, you can have Sunday off!)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Same version of Firefox here Tiz and just noticed that now you have mentioned it. Like you I usally have quite few tabs open as I go down the list of new posts and "middle button" all "last posts" to open in new tab. I open them in order but its a bit like Forest Gump's box of chocolates, "You never know just what your'e gonn'a get"!
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Tizer wrote:Doc, thanks, that's a very useful trick that I hadn't known about and will make it much easier to direct people to past posts.

Now then, here's another thing. I'm using Firefox 9.0.1 on Ubuntu Linux and find that tabs are titled differently compared with the old OG site. On this new site, every OG tab I open is titled `OneGuyFromBarlick' and I can't tell one from another without clicking them open - tricky for people like me who tend to end up with half a dozen tabs on the go! On the old site the tabs showed the thread title which was much more useful. Any chance of setting it that way on the new site please? (No hurry, you can have Sunday off!)
I'll see if I can get it to display the actual topic title in the tabs, I'll have to have a furtle in the programming oh what joy :grin:
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

I've managed to change the code so that the tabs indicate the topic title first. I hope that is what you wanted.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Spot on Doc, just the job.
Ian
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Just a minor glitch, on logging on my last visited date is out of date, ie i was on earlier today, but last visit shows 23/jan/please note it is no relevance, other than i know Doc. likes things to work.
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Acknowledged Bodger, I to like things to work has they should. I'm on it.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator

Return to “Feedback”