Kitchen Refurb

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Kitchen Refurb

Post by PanBiker »

Wendyf wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 09:58 Do you use full size sheets of plasterboard for the ceiling Ian? We have a couple of useful props you can borrow if you like.
I missed your post earlier Wendy. In answer, no, 1200mm x 900mm are the largest I can fit in my car, the ceiling is 3m x 2.4 so I only needed seven. Two across and three down with the last to fill the 300mm gap at the cooker end and the ducting channel. Thanks for the offer anyway but you can see we managed OK.

One thing I am glad of, I can start to see an end to the muck. A bit of brick to knock out and then the plastering but a whole lot better than the old lime plaster we have knocked off. Disposing of it has used all my yearly allowance for inert waste. I have a couple of voids to fill in the solid floor. A doormat recess and where the old built in cupboard ran floor to ceiling in the corner, which must have been put in before the floor was levelled.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Ah yes the dirt. This is a similar job to the one we did in our 200 year old cottage in Anglesey. I remember the dirt well, but it was all so worth it in the end. Can't wait to see the finished job
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When we opened up the fireplace in the front room at Hey Farm to reveal the original 4ft square fireplace Vera barrowed all the excavated rubble out as I cleared it and there was enough to make a base for a garage!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Monday, I knocked out the channel in the brickwork for the five cable run up into the ceiling space then clipped all the cables down, I had to a bit of reorganisation in the ordering of the cables into the dual gang back box. I knocked on at lunchtime and then did a materials run for mortar for the ducting outlet and concrete to fill the floor voids. Delivered these up and then knocked off for the day.

Tuesday was finishing off the ceiling plasterboards, which took another full sheet plus useful sized offcuts from the other boards. I spent a while cutting a round hole for the round flexible ducting to exit into the round to flat ducting adaptor above where the chimney will be. The odds and sods finishing off here took from mid morning to knocking off time in the afternoon but I did all the scrim taping as well.

I still have the last surface mounted double socket to disconnect and remove from the wall but this is only 20 minutes of a job in the junction box under the landing

Jack rang Glenn our plasterer last night and he is coming tonight to have another look before he sets about the job.

I called at Briggs an Duxbury's today and picked up all the architrave I need, Scott cut it all to the lengths I need and that would fit in the car. Day off today as I am straight unless Glenn needs anything else.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sounds like good progress, Ian
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack must be pleased.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, we are getting on. Glenn came last night and is happy with our knock back efforts and my ceiling construction. He was impressed by my very meagre pile of plasterboard waste, he can get to us on Tuesday next week.

Plenty of time for me to finish off the bits I have left. I will mix up my mortar at some point and point up the ducting pipe where it emerges on the back wall. I'll mix the whole bag and use the spare for filling a few of the larger holes in the kitchen walls. All the old fitted units were nailed together and fixed on massive plugs in the wall. Quite a few of these are nearly a half brick in size so I can reinstate these flush to the wall, any excess mortar can then go into either of the floor voids. Probably not today though as it looks like we might have rain. I'll get shut of the socket supporting the boiler and put a temporary extension in for it
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Not sure if you've got a consumer unit yet, Ian. There are some offers on at Screwfix Screwfix
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We have access to the wholesale prices Kev via my son in law who is supplying the expertise also via Nathan who is one of his electricians. All work being done to current regs.

I have been down today to disconnect the last socket and remove the dual gang surface socket. We have one functioning socket in the skirting on the stairs wall remaining. This will come out eventually and be blanked off, its on the short wall under the kitchen radiator position, (also removed for the duration). I have used an extension to maintain power to the boiler in the other corner.

I did final tidying around the edges if you will with odd bits of plaster that were still hanging around the door frames etc. Were ready for Glenn now who sets to tomorrow. Jack has disassembled his TV setup in the corner of the living room to gain access to the floorboards, just his router in the corner now which he has to maintain as he sometimes works from home. We need access to get all the feed cables under the floor and routed back out into the pantry where the electrics live. Solid floor in the kitchen and a door in the way so its the best route as it will leave access for when the rest of the rewiring is done, we have already run a new lighting feed for the centre light before the new ceiling went up in the kitchen.

A bit of water ingress through where the ducting exits. It's not been fit to point that up since it went in. Nothing to worry about just a bit of damp on the brickwork. I'll see what it's like tomorrow, it will give me something to do out of Glenn's way.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wholesale prices are always a bonus :-). You got cable pulling rods, Ian?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes thanks Kev, my tame electrician Nathan comes in a big van and fully tooled. :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 20 Mar 2017, 17:58 Yes thanks Kev, my tame electrician Nathan comes in a big van and fully tooled. :extrawink:
I thought he would have done but you never know :grin:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It took Glen over an hour and a half to get to Barlick yesterday after the massive hail storm over Nelson and Burnley, roads were were pretty gridlocked. Once on site though he cracked on, he managed to get 100kg of bonding on the walls before he had to knock off for granddad duties. O ver half of that went on the living room wall to get it levelled off. I'm happy with how its ended up as its a lot straighter than is was before and down in the bottom corner its about half as thick as the rendering that was on before. The rest went on the two shorter walls. That just left the window wall and a section of wall at the bottom of the stairs that needs re-plastering as well. Glenn knocked off at about 1.30, I went home and got a bit of dinner and then went back down to start pointing up the ducting outlet, it was fine enough yesterday to get the first lot bedded in, I will add more when we get another bit of fine weather. I had a bit of spare mortar so I chucked it into the corner void which will shortly be levelled with concrete.

He came back today at 8.30 and has finished the rest of the bonding. A brew and a biscuit and then he set about the ceiling, two coats of finish and then an hour to polish it off. I came away at lunchtime as he was mixing his next bucket full to start on the living room wall. He is going to continue until he has used all the finish he has, he will need a bit more so he reckons it will need a couple more hours tomorrow to finalise the job.

It's all looking a lot better although we now have a peach coloured floor! Once he has done, next job will be to lift the old vinyl which will get rid of most of the muck. The muck is actually getting cleaner, sounds daft but that is the case. I'll be going back down, but I'll give Glenn the key so he can start whenever he wants tomorrow.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I popped back down just as Glenn was finishing off. He has completed the living room wall and the party wall which will have the oven and hob, he used the last of his finish plaster on the wall at the bottom of the stairs. Just the stairs wall to do and a small section on the front wall and above the door. He needs another bag of finish and reckons it will be a couple of hours tomorrow. I have given him the key so he can start when he wants, I'll go down around 10am and pay him for his work.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

On the downhill stretch now, Ian.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes Kev, vinyl up next and a good clean up.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I understand and appreciate 'clean muck'!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I went down this morning and Glenn was finishing polishing off, all done by 10.30. I made a start taking the vinyl up after a good scraping and sweep up. I have got half of it up, taking it out in sections and clearing as I go. I've taken out the doormat well frame which was corroded and dropping in bits anyway, a good sweep out in there and its now ready for filling in. I have cleared the end from the back door through to the living room so there is no more muck being trailed in there. The floor itself is black bitumen and sealed with floor paint, it's in good condition apart from the two voids, the corner one needs filling as there will be a unit on top of it but it will be fully out of site.

The shell is now looking a lot better and its a case of waiting for the plaster to dry off completely before proceeding with any units. Plenty to do before that. We need all the new power cables out of the kitchen and under the living room floor then back into the pantry. Pipework to alter on the sink side and stop cock to reorientate. Window bottom needs to come out but I think I will leave that until the base unit for the sink is in place, there's a lot going on on that wall and its hard to visualise it without it being populated. Lots of pipework to make a decision on as to what gets boxed in etc, not decided yet about whether to put the boiler in a cupboard or more precisely to put a cupboard round the boiler. I'll get a better idea when the units and worktops are in. As the exact placement of the base units is going to be critical on the width I will build them all and offer them up loose when we get to that point. The job is getting cleaner though, I'll shift the rest of the old floor covering tomorrow.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'd highly recommend hiding the boiler, You don't really need a cabinet, just a door, hinges and a couple of bits of melamine coated chipboard for the vertical 'sides'. Leave it open top and bottom to allow a good airflow. Any pipework that's underneath can be boxed in with a removable panel for easy access :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

That was my thinking Kev, already decided to put easy access to the pipework below the boiler. The problem is, I have little/no room at one side due to existing boxing and latest addition pipework that runs up one side of the boiler. It may need a "cunning plan", not critical for the kitchen build which has priority. I will look at this when I see what the corner looks like when al the units are in and the worktops offered up.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 15:45 That was my thinking Kev, already decided to put easy access to the pipework below the boiler. The problem is, I have little/no room at one side due to existing boxing and latest addition pipework that runs up one side of the boiler. It may need a "cunning plan", not critical for the kitchen build which has priority. I will look at this when I see what the corner looks like when al the units are in and the worktops offered up.
You could hinge on the side with a bit o' room and just fit a small block as a door stop on the 'busy' side.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It would have to hinge on the side with access (opening to the wall) but the other side with just a block would be open and is the side which would be in view so not much point in having a surround. There is existing boxing for the original water feed to upstairs on the busy side with new pipework running up the side of this and at the side of the boiler. I might be able to organise something building on the existing boxing. I may even be able to fashion a complete lift off system using V slot hangers. I'll take a photo and you may see the problem. I'm thinking down the lines of using the likes of the push and grab latches often used for cupboard doors, these would work on providing access to the the pipework boxing underneath the boiler.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A picture is always useful. Get a couple of minds working on a solution and you never know what might come up :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

What dad did was to have those double plastic or wooden channels with painted hardboard sliding sections, a small brass bolt could lock in place.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When I did a quick and nasty job of boxing in the pipes below my boiler in the bathroom 20 years ago when we were rushing to get me in East Hill Street I hid the pipes below the boiler with a set of shallow shelves that are only held by one screw and lift out completely. They have been very useful over the years for small items, deep enough for a toilet roll for instance....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “DIY”