Yes...glycerine.
Some patients needed Nitroglycerin.... :laugh5:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by Tizer »

Haha, thanks for that Maz, you brightened my day! :laugh5:

That acidity of that orange juice given to kids during and after the war contributed to a lot of tooth decay, unfortunately.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Not quite as funny as you may think, Lots of people take nitroglycerin medication. re: Nitroglycerin, also known as glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) is a medication used for heart failure, high blood pressure, and to treat and prevent chest pain resulting from insufficient blood flow to the heart (angina pectoris). ... Nitroglycerin is in the organic nitrate family of medications. It goes down like a bomb.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hubby has some for emergencies, Plaques ( though he has never needed them after his triple bypass - likely they are out of date!)
But yes...I was referring to "a bomb up the posterior".
Of course, mostly anything inserted in the rectum will give some result, including the old remedy of a sliver of bath soap. ( much used by folk in the war years I am told.)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I could not eat them, they look revolting - like what they retrieve from drug mules on the Anything to Declare programmes !
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's one for Wendy. When hanging a field gate always arrange it so that when set level and closed, the toe of the gate slides onto a sloping stone which takes the weight off the hinges, a major cause of gates drooping and dragging on the ground.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'll remember that next time I'm supervising a gate hanging!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It works Wendy. I first saw it on heavy wrought iron ornamental gates and after that always used it on mine at home. Another benefit was that if someone climbed over the gate at the toe end it didn't strain it. When you think about it there is 12 feet of leverage at the toe end, no wonder gates gave way and drooped.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gadge

Post by Gadge »

plaques wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 11:13Not quite as funny as you may think, Lots of people take nitroglycerin medication. re: Nitroglycerin, also known as glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) is a medication used for heart failure, high blood pressure, and to treat and prevent chest pain resulting from insufficient blood flow to the heart (angina pectoris). ... Nitroglycerin is in the organic nitrate family of medications. It goes down like a bomb.
Quite true.
In fact I found out, a few years back now, that the only remaining Australian manufacturer of GTN [who also make military high explosives, and a large range of gun and rifle propellants for both the military and commercial markets], ADI Thales in Mulwala, NSW, are also certified to make it for pharmaceutical use!

They still run a 'Biazzi process' plant for GTN [there are later and safer processes, like the 'Nitroglycerin AB continuous injection process'], and I'd suspect that the pharmaceutical market would be the main reason for that.
Cheers,

Doug
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

From distant memory, hubby was to put one under his tongue if he had unresolved chest pain???
As I say, probably well out of date by now and have never been used.
Biggest damage they can do now is to blow up his underpants drawer :laugh5:

:geek: should I chuck them? Could his underwear drawer explode?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Interesting that Maz, storage in the underpants drawer, was it a case of in emergency always have a clean pair on for the hospital. One stop station, pills and clean underpants, I like it! :laugh5: :extrawink:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 09:40 From distant memory, hubby was to put one under his tongue if he had unresolved chest pain???

Take them back to a pharmacy for proper disposal if they are out of date.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you've bought a 10kg bag of dried peas and you are my age, don't risk carrying it home, be nice to Gulam at Chaudrey's.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

chinatyke wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 23:46
Marilyn wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 09:40 From distant memory, hubby was to put one under his tongue if he had unresolved chest pain???

Take them back to a pharmacy for proper disposal if they are out of date.
Or phone the emergency number and they'll send an expert to do a controlled explosion!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I used to know a bloke who bought a sunken liberty ship off Skye. He went up once a year and salvaged non-ferocious off it using explosives to cut things like the propellers off. He had Submarine Blasting Gelignite in his garage in Birmingham...... Not recommended!
Don't kick the dog's ball too hard, you might waken up a recent injury in your hip!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gadge

Post by Gadge »

Stanley wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 03:14 I used to know a bloke who bought a sunken liberty ship off Skye. He went up once a year and salvaged non-ferocious off it using explosives to cut things like the propellers off. He had Submarine Blasting Gelignite in his garage in Birmingham...... Not recommended!
It isn't really any problem Stanley, unless it's allowed to freeze [can make it highly impact-sensitive, while it's in the frozen state], or is around so long that it deteriorates and the 'gelatinous' component breaks down. That's when it will exude fluid Nitroglycerine...

My Oz [Victoria state] 'explosives use' licence permitted me to store up to 3.5kg high explosive + 350m Detonating Cord + 125 detonators [in a separate lockbox to the rest] in my garage, subject to certain provisos. Those were related to keeping it at least a specified distance from anything flammable, or sources of ignition such as 'hot work' or open flames. There were design specifications that had to be met by the storage lockboxes used, too.

However, I never personally stored actual gelignite, as the Australian explosives industry phased out the gelignites and blasting gelatines back in 1989. Have used some of it, though!
Cheers,

Doug
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Normally I'd agree Doug but he was a bit happy go lucky! I was used to the safety precautions at the Unigel works at Penrhyndeudraeth, I used to cart Barytes in there from Glasgow. Even they slipped up occasionally!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I met an old mate of mine the other day, I haven't seen him for a while and I was shocked by what I found. He had no go about him at all and was bloody miserable! As I talked to him I realised that he had nothing going on in his life. All the regulars on the site have interests and are entertaining people to talk to and I really do believe that this is the key to happiness especially in retirement. There should be pre-retirement courses for people to prepare them for the end of a structured working life with a purpose. My purpose in life is to keep connected to the kids and always have a target, in my case it's making things with my hands in the shed. I'm already thinking about the next engine!
So today's tip is to try to spread the message, that there is more to life after work than the sofa and the TV set!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I think it is mostly males who fall into that wasteland, Stanley.
Us girls have way too much we want to do...
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 05:14 Us girls have way too much we want to do...
....whilst waiting around for the men to open the doors and carry the shopping! Speaking from personal experience today! This afternoon I asked my wife if she could manage to press the lift button. Sarcasm is lost in translation, I might as well have spoken to the wall.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I admire women with such power, China.
It is not so in my world.
Often an older man without a wife becomes a little lost. But an older woman without a husband tends to do quite nicely and enjoys a full life.
( we can push our own lift buttons :laugh5: )
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 03:52 I met an old mate of mine the other day, I haven't seen him for a while and I was shocked by what I found. He had no go about him at all and was bloody miserable! As I talked to him I realised that he had nothing going on in his life...
So today's tip is to try to spread the message, that there is more to life after work than the sofa and the TV set!
I know what you mean, some 70 year-old men are "old men" and should be in the knacker yard. I hate to admit I'm over 70, I feel young, still ride my bike and run around without a thought to my age. Perhaps it is because I have a wife who is 17 years younger than me.

In China certain fun activities are prohibited for high risk people, those with high blood pressure etc or age over 60. I'm thinking of extreme sports like when we went white water rafting etc. I told them I'm 59 and they never checked my passport. One young lady in our coach party got a broken arm when her raft overturned, a regular occurrence. Next week we'll be having a more leisurely bamboo raft trip down a river and over a couple of weirs. Last time I did this was 4 years ago and the raft that was next to us overturned at one of the weirs and pitched everybody into the deep water. Definitely not funny for the holiday-makers with their expensive cameras around their necks. All part of the fun here, personal safety is your own concern and not a big issue.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My husband married a younger woman too. He is also young-at-heart and very active despite a few health issues. I never consider him old. We laugh a lot and enjoy life. He retired a few years ago, but that didn't last long (one day!) before he was offered a job working from home. He loves working, and I enjoy him working from home. He has no hobbies, so we will have to cross that bridge one day ( though I don't think anything shed related would suit!) :grin:
We have a neighbour who is alone and 70. He is an avid cyclist and a very fit man...but he strikes me as a pretty miserable sort of fellow. Perhaps he is just a grumpy sort and always was, but he never smiles and always seems to have a gripe about something ( generally local politics!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with you Maz about men being more likely to fall into the trap. Many have been institutionalised by working for employers all their lives, they didn't need to be self-starters.
Both my marriage and big relationship with Mary were with younger women....
In all my jobs I have had to think for myself and run my own sky, even when in employment, a driver has to think for himself all the time. So perhaps I had good training. The tip still stands, give retirement a bit of thought and investment......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As energy costs rise a new factor is having to be considered when food shopping. Ready cooked items like good meat pies or canned vegetables are perfectly healthy and now carry an added bonus of needing less energy to warm up. This only struck me yesterday, it has never entered into my calculations until now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”