Today I shall be Mainly...

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 07:57 No visibility here this morning Kev, hope it's better for you
Sunshine and showers at the moment, Wendy. Local weather reports a drier afternoon though. We'll be taking the cable car up into the Nevis range and it could be completely different up there.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The day turned out as predicted, sunshine and showers. Managed to grab a couple of shots of the Jacobite steam train on the Glenfinnan viaduct. We then headed for the Nevis range and took the cable car up to the restaurant for lunch. The wind was a bit lively and cold at 2100ft so we only had a short walk, we were back down in Fort William after 3 hours. A good day out though.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At least there would be no Midges Kev. Mary and I always had our first visit to Eigg in March for that reason. It has stopped raining here.....

Finishing this tiny flange and exhaust outlet this morning hopefully!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It was fine drizzle here all day yesterday. We are off to Gloucester today to see Bobs sister who has cancer and is in the hospice short term . We haven't seen her for a few months,
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well at least you will have had a dry day! And perhaps a bit warmer than up here. I have always said that 1000ft of altitude in the UK gives a far greater difference in temperature than in other parts of the world. At the moment, looking at reported temperatures from elsewhere our 550ft is dropping us back into winter and single figures again!
I shall be pressing on with slightly easier work in the shed in terms of size. I struggled yesterday, my fingers felt like bananas as I manipulated those tiny screws! I am reminded of the watchmaker's apprentice who, when he first saw a 1/4" drill said "I didn't know they made them that big!". (My bum right eye doesn't help either!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It's a trip to the cemetery today, I like to put flowers on mums and Dad grave on birthdays. Mums birthday is tomorrow.

Otherwise it's a sewing day, Bob being at the park with the model train circuit
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope he has better weather than us.... I have ditched the shed for today. Free leccy day so two loads of washing (bedding as well) and cooking. I might even run the vacuum round.... Sickening isn't it but standards have to be maintained!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I turned my 40 year old Vi-Spring Elite mattress.... A major operation, I reckon it weighs over 200 lbs! Still as good as the day I bought it and no bed mites in sight! I got all my jobs done but no shed.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Bob was back home by 2.00 not a person insight at the park. No surprise there then. Nearly finished my dress but I am not happy with the fit, I think it is the style. I will have to have a rethink.

Claire and Erin coming for lunch. This afternoon I will take a top back to Next. It fits but the sleeves cover my hands :laugh5: . At the price I paid I am not prepared to start remaking the sleeves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yesterday we went to a big Flea Market, 100s of stalls, both indoors and out, selling all sorts of stuff. It took most of the day to work our way around it. It's mind-boggling to see the different things people try to sell, and there were all kinds of folk there. We saw one bloke, a big bruiser of a man, tattooed, and with a large chain hanging from his hand. The chain looked about 4 inches in width and it was about 6 foot long! As he got closer we realised that the massive links were made from something like foam pipe insulation. Then it appeared to move of its own accord - and from behind the man, on the end of the chain, came a little doggy, all of a foot long and attached to the end of the chain. They gave a lot of people a great amount of fun! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That doesn't surprise me Sue, not a good day for outdoor model trains! I'd like to go to a good flea market Tiz. Call in for me next time you do it..... Your story about the man and the dog reminds me that there used to be a funny ornament on the side of the road on the Long Preston side of Newsholme, a hook on the end of a piece of heavy chain but welded together so that it stood upright. I liked it so much that I made a bird table supported the same way and it got a lot of attention at Addingham. I must have a pic somewhere but can't find it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Since the site updated I ram randomly have to sign in again. Does anyone else have this problem
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No Sue, I haven't had to sign in recently. If I do, it's when Windows 10 has updated itself.
I'm going to move the electric fencing this morning, time to shift the ponies to their spring patch with restricted grazing.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

No problem with the site here, Sue.

We're getting ready to start viewing houses. We want to move into Taunton to be nearer to shops and services and close to my young relatives there. After 20 years out in the Somerset Levels it's going to be a shock to the system, but best done before we get to the stage where it's too much to face!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Wow, that's a big and wise decision Mr and Mrs Tiz. Good luck with the house hunting.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Good luck with that Tiz.

Sue, the site does have a timeout setting and will eventually log you out.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Good move I'd say. (pardon the pun). I've been to Taunton - nice place. We had weekend break in the centre, and we stayed at a cottage in nearby South Petherton for a couple of breaks. Oddly enough I looked at it on google just a couple of days ago.. I'm sure it's a good move for you both. best of luck.

I remember Vivary Park being very pleasant.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

An ex employer of mine moved into a retirement village near Taunton where they are very happy.
Say only a little but say it well.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

...wiring in the dashcam. The front camera is in but I need a rethink on the cable route for the rear camera, there are a few airbags in the headlining so I'm reluctant to go that way. I'll measure the cable later so I can see what my options are.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's always a wrench moving Tiz but I am glad you and Janet are doing it now. I'm sure it's a wise choice. Make sure you have room for your mobility scooter.....
One thing you'll find is that if you decide to ditch the car it's like being released from gaol and getting another pension! Another big step but I never regretted it.
Moving quietly forward with my tiny bearings.....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 10:12 Good luck with that Tiz.

Sue, the site does have a timeout setting and will eventually log you out.

Well I don't understand it, it never did it before. Even now I was reading this page when I was suddenly signed out when I copied this comment but I had only just opened up one guy. It doesn't happen on any of my other functions on my iPad.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Interesting Sue that's different, could be security certificate related, try deleting the board cookies with the link at the bottom of the page see if that makes a difference. Next clear your browser cache. If that fails try another browser if you can.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My relatives have lived in Taunton for 20 years and it's only about 12 miles from where we live out in the sticks, so we know the town well. We're aiming to be in the vicinity of Vivary Park, Tripps, a good place for a daily stroll!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 08:12 Interesting Sue that's different, could be security certificate related, try deleting the board cookies with the link at the bottom of the page see if that makes a difference. Next clear your browser cache. If that fails try another browser if you can.
Done that. See what happens
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 02:55 One thing you'll find is that if you decide to ditch the car it's like being released from gaol and getting another pension! Another big step but I never regretted it.
I agree with you there, Stanley. I loved driving but China didn't sign up to the International Drivers Permit regulations, so my UK licence wasn't acceptable here. In due course I could have obtained a Chinese licence but decided against it. Like you said, once you have quit it is painless and the savings are substantial. I reckon most people could take a taxi for their local journeys and still be in pocket with what they save by not owning a car. I keep my UK licence up to date and hire a car only when I go to USA or UK. Best wishes with your move, Tiz.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”