TIZER'S SCIENCE NEWS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TIZER'S SCIENCE NEWS

Post by Tizer »

I was depressed this morning when I heard that Trump is taking action against MMR vaccine and seems to support Andrew Wakefield. This after his action against the Environmental Protection Agency and his reluctance to believe in climate change. As well as his anti-science stance I noted his comment after the poison gas attack in Syria: "No child of God should have to suffer this." I wasn't a `child of God' and I'm not a `man of god' so would he regard me as a valid target for gas attack? He's anti-science and seems very religious and he's one of the most powerful men in the world; and yet he's not a tyrant who forced himself on the US population, 48% of them (hundreds of millions) voted for him. I'm worried about where all this is leading, we're reverting to pre-Victorian times. I'm currently reading Simon Winchester's book about William Smith, the man who gave us geology and set the scene and foundation for Darwin's work. A time when people with Trump's views went into decline, the educated flocked to hear scientists' lectures and demonstrations and even the common working man was taking an interest in science.That was when clergymen were often scientists in their spare time, practising botany, zoology, geology, anthropology etc. Knowing my interests it won't surprise you that I give as an example the Rev. William Gregor (1761-1817). As well as being the discoverer of titanium, he introduced vaccination into Cornwall. Here is a 1955 article about Gregor by Sir Arthur Russell, a distinguished British mineralogist whose collection of 12,000 specimens is now in the Natural History Museum, London. Gregor would be shocked and dismayed to see the attitude of today's public to science.... Gregor
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer wrote: 11 Apr 2017, 09:40 ... I wasn't a `child of God' and I'm not a `man of god' ...
There are plenty of sheep none-thinkers out there that still hold stone age beliefs. There probably still will be in a hundred years time except they will be sporting beards and reading the Q'ran, and that includes the men too!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

China, remember that the source of most of Western 'advancement' was the translation of 'Heathen' texts, we got many of the clues from Arabic writings dating from our 'Dark Ages'. We haven't yet realised how advanced China was because their language is still largely a closed book. Look at their great trading voyages in the 12th century, Western historians are still disputing their importance as evidence of an advanced civilisation. Our much vaunted Western Superiority started with plagiarism. The Crusades are a good example of our hypocrisy and are at the root of many of today's problems with non-Christians.
As for Trump, I have never seen any evidence that he is a well read man and indeed, believe many of his 'loose cannon' moments are sparked by disordered and chaotic thinking that is influenced more by Fox News than any deep study of science or history. Add natural arrogance to ignorance and you get Populism in the modern sense. I have often been told here on the site that many of my opinions based on deep reading of the history are not valid because 'times have changed'. So be it, all I can say is that I am in what I regard as good company! I heard his views on vaccination and have noted his appointments in that field. They parallel his views on climate change and global warming. There is no evidence that he has studied these matters and formed an opinion based on sound evidence. Too many of his surprises come in late night tweets and show no sign of any study or understanding, in other words he shoots from the hip. I still have the images from Dr Strangelove in my mind every time I hear him issuing his diktats. Problem is he has the backing of similar unformed minds..... This is one of the reasons I relentlessly advocate more and better Primary Education. This non-thinking based on evidence is dangerous.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 12 Apr 2017, 03:30 As for Trump, I have never seen any evidence that he is a well read man...
The ghost writer of Trump's famous book spent a lot of time working closely with him and says that Trump didn't read books, and even boasted that he'd never read a book. Half the population of America seem to think that it's OK for such a person to be their President. It makes you wonder, doesn't it?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The bottom line Tiz is that such people are shallow, no depth to them. That's why they behave like weathercocks, they have no internal mental discipline, the sort that gives you boundaries, principles and in the end, ethics. The only goal is power, nothing else matters. Once in post they tend to do whatever it takes to extend and demonstrate that power, hence aberrations like Watergate and Sideshow.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is mind-bending!
`Physicists observe 'negative mass'' LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Certainly takes a bit of thinking about, similar to bumble bees but a step nearer to a warp drive, good stuff. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Even more mind-bending is the Daily Star's front page headline this morning which screams `Real ghost caught on film for first time'. Alternative facts strike again!

Elsewhere there's a report that an Italian court is awarded £400 a month compensation to a man because `his brain tumour is linked to his mobile phone use'. This is despite the real fact that none of the peer-reviewed studies on hundreds of thousands of people has ever found a link. It's like the US court cases where women have been awarded millions of dollars because they claim that using Johnson & Johnson's baby powder has caused them cancer when, again, every robust study has failed to find a link. Why do judges make such awards when they run counter to the evidence? We live in a strange world!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"We live in a strange world!" That is certainly a true fact Tiz! The thing about Absolute Zero that grabbed me from the very first day I came across it at school in Physics was that if the gas laws are true, the gas ceases to exist at AZ! I have never understood this.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This should be useful!
`Plastic-eating caterpillar could munch waste, scientists say' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They are probably doing it even now Tiz!
I was fascinated by Jim Al-Khalili's guest yesterday. His take on the role of the food processors in stoking consumption of salt and sugar was heartening, nice to have one's prejudices confirmed by an insider! Loved what he had to say about salt levels and the spurious use of 'hydration' by the sellers of energy drinks and the link between high levels of salt and thirstiness, further increasing soft drink consumption. Why oh why aren't scientists like these in charge of a proper nutrition policy with powers to force the industry to change?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 26 Apr 2017, 03:51 ..the link between high levels of salt and thirstiness, further increasing soft drink consumption.
That's why salted peanuts and salted potato crisps were introduced in pubs! Manufacturers of food products add a lot of salt because the simple fact is that for a given type of product the brand with the most salt always sells best, other things being equal. The same for sugar. And for spices. People get used to the high levels and then consider products with lower levels to be inferior.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I read an article years ago from a Doctor who said restricting salt intake was counterproductive because, if reduced, the body 'hoards' the existing salt, and if the level becomes high it excretes it. He said it's one of the body's many feedback systems.

The news, only yesterday, is interesting. . .Latest salt/sodium research

PS further down the page I now notice this topic is also covered in 'We are what we eat'.
I think it's called a 'dichotomy'. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As in so many circumstances in life, you pays your money and makes a choice. I've suspected for a while that I was a bit too enthusiastic with my sea salt so I'll see how I go on. If I experience any ill-effects I will report but I very much doubt that there will be any. Another favourite dictum is 'Moderation in all things', not a bad rule to follow.....
See THIS for an encouraging BBC report on a new test for early detection of glaucoma. We have much to thank the 'pesky scientists' for!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Guardian report of yet another conflicting study on statins. It must be very confusing for anyone who hasn't got a clear understanding of nutrition and life style. It doesn't affect my view which is that as long as I have no evidence to the contrary I shall rely on my diet, walks and BP readings to guide me. [This morning it's 129/74 with 75 beats per minute, not bad for the mileage!]
See THIS for another Guardian health related report on the 'Exercise Pill'. I can see the possible benefits for those who can't take exercise but on the whole this depresses me. Yet another example of the modern obsession with the quick fix that requires no effort. As far as I am concerned file it with pro-biotics and slimming pills.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Interesting to note that the statin study was funded by Pfizer. :geek:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hmmmmm.... Well spotted Wendy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was a very good programme on World Service this morning. A discussion on science and the role of the journals. 'What's wrong with science', (LINK) Well worth a listen Tiz!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wendyf wrote: 03 May 2017, 08:08 Interesting to note that the statin study was funded by Pfizer. :geek:
That's not unusual now, Wendy. It's all transparent and funding sources have to be stated on all research papers. The researchers also have to state if they are employed by any company or in any way influenced by them. The reason is that the research has to be funded from somewhere and there's not much available from public funds.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tizer wrote: 07 May 2017, 10:25
Wendyf wrote: 03 May 2017, 08:08 Interesting to note that the statin study was funded by Pfizer. :geek:
That's not unusual now, Wendy. It's all transparent and funding sources have to be stated on all research papers. The researchers also have to state if they are employed by any company or in any way influenced by them. The reason is that the research has to be funded from somewhere and there's not much available from public funds.
Just pointing it out Tiz, I wouldn't dream of suggesting that the results may have been influenced in any way by the fact that the manufacturers of statins funded the study. 🤔
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

When I worked as an industrial bacteriologist one of my roles was to prove beyond any doubt that our product was better than our rivals. The recognised test showed it to be so, our rivals did not like that. What I actually proved, and wrote a paper on, was that the test was severely flawed. The outcome was that the test was re- evaluated. Neither company rejected the findings I made. However shortly after that I left the company for a more 'maternal'' role so I am not aware of the long term implications except I believe the company I worked for still has the main licence for that category of disinfectant in agricultural use.

The point I am trying to make is that research is often funded internally to try to resolve issues and improve products. As Tiz says, there is and never has been much government funding for science research. A lot of what we had came through EU, and is already disappearing (my son in law can relate to that) .
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How valuable to have evidence from people who know of what they speak!
What angers me is that our leaders spout the mantra that our strength is in the field of innovation but fail to recognise that R&D has to be paid for. Look at the state of research into a replacement for the antibiotics that are failing, it has failed because it is uneconomical. A perfect example of why, in some cases, public funding is essential.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

RESEARCH published by the BMJ which suggests that Nsaids (Non Steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can increase the risk of heart attack much quicker than was previously thought. The increase is small and applies to a small number of people at risk but it goes a long way to confirming what was already suspected.
So no need to panic but worth taking notice of the results.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes I read that too Stanley, though it did say it was difficult to be sure who or why people were affected. Indeed it could be the combination of the condition being treated and the drugs used.
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That struck me as well Sue, or whatever was causing the pain or inflammation could also be behind the heart disease.

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”