Kitchen Refurb

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Kitchen Refurb

Post by Big Kev »

How are the kitchen works coming along, Ian?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Ticking along basically Kev, not a lot to do now, waiting for a slot from Nathan to finalise the electrics. From my point I have fitted all the sockets and fused switch units, I need some 1mm T&E for a drop for the pelmet lights which I will get when Nathan tips up.

I have been continuing by border tiling and fitting the splash back which in itself involved moving the extractor fan slightly as it was too low, that's all sorted now. I grouted the tiles up the other day and went down yesterday to do the touch up painting, I finished off the wall by the door that was slow to dry out, that bit just needs another coat. I have run a silicone bead above and below the tiles and around the splash back and the gas hob.

There is a bit more gloss painting to do around the back door frame but it needs a bit more prep, a few holes to drill in the upstand to get the washing machine water feed and waste outlet in and out of the void, bits of jobs really. I can't fix the oven yet as it's electric and needs cabling. A few doors need fixing but I have left them off as there is still electrical work to do in the units. The CAD system has miscalculated on the hinges required, we are short of one set of 170 degree hinges for the corner cupboard, looking back on the graphic printout for the kitchen it put a straight cupboard into the corner rather than a corner unit, we haven't been charged for it so its just a case of buying another set.

Biggest job left for me is fitting the cornice and pelmet but I need a mitre saw. The moulding is the same for top and bottom of the cupboards and is finished to match the units. With the corner cupboard I have 12 mitres to cut, 2 external and 1 internal mirrored top and bottom. I used to have one of the manual precision mitre saws with the fine blade but lost it during my move from my premises when self employed. I used it a lot when I was installing surface trunking for network deployment. You don't happen to have one do you?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have a couple here Ian, you're more than welcome to borrow one. The combined crosscut/mitre saw is probably your best option if you're cutting fairly long lengths, it has extra supports and a built in clamp :-)
Last edited by Big Kev on 06 May 2017, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Kev, longest length is just over a metre. I have an eye test at 3.50 will you be around at tea time?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 05 May 2017, 13:15 Thanks Kev, longest length is just over a metre. I have an eye test at 3.50 will you be around at tea time?
I will indeed. I'll get the smaller one out of the cellar :-)
Last edited by Big Kev on 05 May 2017, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks, I'll call when I get back from Skipton.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a nice man...... The world is short of nice!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It's an interesting observation but I have often found that big blokes are often very nice, Kev is definitely big and no exception to this rule. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 06 May 2017, 09:41 It's an interesting observation but I have often found that big blokes are often very nice, Kev is definitely big and no exception to this rule. :smile:
That's very kind of you all, thank you. It's always much easier to be nice to people...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's the reverse of the terrier syndrome, when you are that big you don't need to assert yourself.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I like the "BROmance" :grin:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We're all in touch with our sensitive side here :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bloody hell! Can we please get back to power sockets and 170 degree hinges?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Remember my angst at not being able to find someone to fit some window units. I can now confidently say the the man who did the job, Chris Coughlan of Wheatley Lane did an excellent job and is worth remembering.
Thank you to all those who made their own recommendations.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

After 3 years I've finally fitted the flashings in the kitchen rooflights. The good people at Metalcraft in Barlick did a grand job, folding the galvanised sheeting, with only my sketches to work to.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tidy job Kev.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 25 May 2017, 02:27 Tidy job Kev.....
Thank you. The self tapping bolts you gave me came in handy too, they shouldn't blow off in the wind :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oh Good! I knew there would be a use for them one day. I'll bet they cost a bomb today. A hurricane won't shift them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Surprisingly enough they're not that expensive :-) £4.99 for a box of 50...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The speakers in our kitchen have finally been connected to "the system", so Saturday night cooking has been accompanied by random oldies from my playlist. It's all coming together. :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 27 May 2017, 18:11 The speakers in our kitchen have finally been connected to "the system", so Saturday night cooking has been accompanied by random oldies from my playlist. It's all coming together. :smile:
Great stuff. I have the whole ground floor 'wired for sound'. I've uploaded my music collection to Google Play Music and can access it all through the Sonos player.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I like listening to music but not as much these days. I tend to like peace and quiet. I am usually so absorbed in what I am doing I don't hear it anyway. I put it down to trying to work, mark, and prepare lessons in a staff room of 25 , people coming and going all the time and several phones on different extensions constantly ringing. I learnt to cut out the noise. I like music in the car it helps pass the time on long journeys.
If you keep searching you will find it
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I agree with Sue - peace & quiet every time.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Spring Bank lull in exams activity so I was back down at Jacks today. I thought I would continue with something that has been vexing me slightly. This was the corner wall cupboard and more specifically how the doors are hung and the interaction between them. We have two corner cabinets in the room one above the other. The corner base unit has an articulated door arrangement so is only hinged on one side at the left, the right hand door is connected to the left with an articulating bridging hinge which allows it to swing partially in two directions from the centre. One door on the base has double hinging positions down each side to allow one door to connect to the other.

The corner cupboard was only supplied with one set of 170 degree hinges, the doors supplied are standard double hinged doors 300mm wide, the CAD system also supplied a corner post. Two things were puzzling me, either we were short of a pair of hinges or if the intention was to articulate like the bottom unit the doors were wrong. It would have required one door to have hinge mounting points down both sides of the door. I pulled the CAD generated 3D printout of the kitchen and could see why they only supplied one set of hinges, the cabinet selected by the CAD system was shown as standard wall cabinet butting into the corner but not round it! This did not explain why I had two doors though. Its as if the auto collating bit of the CAD software had got its knickers in twist and supplied us with half the bits for one type of installation and half for another.

Simplest way out was another set of 170 degree hinges so I picked up another set the last time I was at B&Q buying a few other sundries. I have the doors hung now as I wanted to see how the handles would look and which was the best side to attach the corner post to. The door with the corner post on its opening side is a captive door when closed. We have the same arrangement on our corner base with the carousel in, you have to open the side without the corner post first and close in reverse. Which way this operates is a matter of personal choice so I have left the final hanging arrangements and handle fitting until I have had a word with Jack, it's his kitchen and he has to work in it. It's easier to visualise the options with the doors hung. I have attached the corner post to one door and hung it on the right with the free door on the left. After more thought I think it should be the other way round, anyway I'll ask the lad what his preference is. No handles fitted yet so it's no problem to flip the doors round if I have to.

I came away a 2pm, I had a late breakfast but was falling through myself by then, right side of a cup soup and some chia toast now. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Jack gave me his preferences for the cupboard doors and concurred with me that they should be the other way round He asked for handles on both doors, I had previously marked up the positions on masking tape and offered the handles up with the doors closed and all looked OK. I took the doors off, flipped them over redid the masking tape from the new bottom edges of the doors, measured, marked, double checked, drilled and fitted the handles, Job done or so I thought. I put the doors back on in the open position in order to locate and fix the hinges to their cabinet mounts, all well and good, just one problem, they wouldn't close! The handle on the captive side stood too proud to allow the free door to close, bugger. Take the handle off the captive side and the doors operate as they should. I should have realised this as that is how our base cabinet with the carousel operates, no real need for a second handle as you can open the captive door with the corner post. Only problem now is that I have a door at eye level drilled out for a handle I cant use. :sad:

After kicking myself internally and a few expletives I decided to move on to the top of the cupboard cornices. It was a nice day so I set Kev's mitre saw up in the backyard Jack has an old glass topped garden table in the yard so I screwed the mitre saw down to the back of the worktop cut out for the hob, an ideal heavy lump to hold it steady. I had 6 mitres to cut for the top and I will have the same when I mirror on the bottom of the cupboards for the pelmet. I cut the sections as accurate as I could but there is a very slight discrepancy from each side of the adjustable mitre table which you can't avoid when doing both internal and external angles, nothing to overly spoil the job though. I have screwed the sections on for best fit and will remove them and make mirror copies for the bottom based on the measurements of each section from above.

This digression to another task has allowed the fairy that looks after drunken men and idiots to provide a get out jail free card for my earlier cock up.

I have another 300 door to fit on the base cupboard next to the oven, so I can used the now pre drilled door from the cupboard flipped over on the base and put a new virgin door with no holes on the captive side of the cupboard. I will have to swap the corner post onto the new door which will leave three screw holes on the edge of the door but they will be out of sight in the normal closed position. I have since found an elegant work round for those holes as well. I have some PCB mounting posts that I bought as a £1 bag of sundry plastic fasteners at a radio rally, they have a plastic cap on the end of a central post designed to fit flush to a chassis, these should be ideal for the job, I can drill the holes out to suit and glue them in place. To use one of Stanley's sayings, you'll not notice them off the Ribble. :extrawink:
Ian

Return to “DIY”