Spring 2017

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2017

Post by Stanley »

It rained all day and was still raining at 22:00 when I went to bed. This morning it is very mild with broken cloud but dry. The glass has fallen slightly to 1013mb. The forecast is for a mixed day, mostly rainy this morning but drying later. The constant mild and moderate SW wind will give us a high of 17C and a low of 10C tonight. This is growy weather, just what was needed!
06:25. Lovely mild morning, the rain yesterday came just in time before the ground was baked and as it fell steadily and gently all day it soaked straight in. This is evident from the Corn Mill Dam in Butts. Yesterday we had a little trickle over the cill, this morning it's a slightly heavier flow but not much showing that the ground has soaked the rain up.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had more good rain yesterday, if anything heavier than the day before. At 21:00 last night it was calm, mild and dry with broken cloud. This morning it's the same, dry with a light 100% overcast and a light breeze. The glass is rock steady on 1014mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with rain from midday until nightfall. The high is 12C and the low 6C tonight. The wind is very light and variable but settling to a light westerly later in the day. The outlook is for similar bright showery weather for a few days.
06:10. A pleasant walk under 100% high overcast and almost calm. Mild morning and dry.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only light rain yesterday afternoon, everything is growing well! This morning first thing it was mild, calm and overcast but dry. It's still dry and the sky is clearing. The glass is down at 1006mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day, cloudy but good sun at times. The high is 14C and the low 8C tonight. The light breeze varies from SW to NW during the day but not much wind chill. Looks like another very acceptable day.
06:25. A very pleasant walk. The sky is clearer with scattered cloud but not enough to block the low sun coming in from the east. I'd say it is an ideal May morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday and at 21:00 we had scattered cloud painted red by the setting sun dry and almost calm. It's dry and calm this morning with a thin light overcast which looks though it is breaking. The glass is rock steady on 1006mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day with the chance of a light shower at teatime. The high is 12C and the low 7C. The wind is variable, very light and constant all day from the west but always tending towards WNW or north, settles down to WSW later tonight. A quiet forecast with no surprises.
06:50. A pleasant walk on a dry mild morning. The trees(apart from the late starters like Ash and Walnut) are in full leaf now and look to be enjoying the weather. The copper beech outside Forester's Buildings is particularly fine! Things could be worse and the outlook is settled.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday and at 21:00 it was dry, calm and mild with an almost clear sky. This morning it's the same. The glass is still on 1006mb. The forecast is exactly the same as yesterday but slightly warmer at 13C for the high and 8C for the low with a constant light to moderate SW wind and a light shower late afternoon.
06:10. A perfect morning walk. Fresh, dry, clear sky, sun coming in under clearing cloud in the East. Everything is growing well, the dandelions are seeding already. One thing I noticed is that the Walnut tree outside Barlic Bites is more advanced than the two in Valley Gardens, it's in full leaf and is shedding its flower cases already. The ones in Valley Gardens are not in full leaf yet.
BTW. From the shipping bulletin and the general forecast it looks as though once more we are getting the best of the weather. Lots to be said for Barlick!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday with the forecasted rain coming in during the late afternoon, heavy at times but it soon cleared away. At 21:00 it was mild, dry and scattered cloud, almost calm. Same this morning and early sun coming in under the light scattered cloud. The glass is up at 1015mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day with plenty of sun. It will be warmer at 16C for the high and 10C for the low tonight. The wind is constant light to moderate varying from SW to SE during the day. A warm day is forecast for tomorrow. This is good Spring weather!
06:30. A pleasant fresh walk under an overcast sky with a moderate breeze. The sun is absent at the moment but every promise of some breaks in the cloud soon. The ground is nicely damp, it has absorbed all the rain. This is demonstrated by the Butts Dam. Despite the, at times heavy, rain yesterday afternoon there is only a trickle over the cill, the ground has taken it in. The consequence is as near perfect growing conditions as we can expect in Barlick at this time of the year. Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Overcast day but It turned out nice and warm later. At 21:00 the sky was clear, it was almost calm and a mild evening. Same this morning..... The glass is down a shade at 1013mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday, dry but tending towards overcast all day. The high is 20C and the low 10C. The light to moderate SE to SW wind will cause no problems. Chance of a light shower at 20:00. It's another growy day......
06:10. A perfect morning, mild, calm, clear, sunny and Nature is enjoying it. The birds are singing and even the ash trees are showing signs of proper leaves..... This and better will do and the outlook is for it to improve during the week with talk of temperatures of 30C. We shall see.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain never materialised, a lovely day. At 21:00 we had scattered cloud, a very light SW breeze and it was dry and mild. Same this morning but a light overcast. The glass fell a touch during the night but rose back to 1012mb. The forecast is for a bright dry day with a light to moderate west wind. The high is 15C and the low 12C. Good outlook, even warmer.
06:30. calm, mild, dry and a clearing sky. What's not to like? This and better will do nicely.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Is it Summer yet :cool4:
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not in my book Sue. I reckon summer from when we can be sure of no early morning frost. That's usually the second week in June in Barlick.
Another good day yesterday. At 21:00 it was almost clear, mild and calm. This morning is the same but with a light overcast. The glass has risen to 1019mb. The forecast is for a bright dry day with sun from late morning onwards. The high is 19C and the low 10C. The wind is a constant light westerly all day.
06:05. Another perfect walk. 100% overcast, light breeze, calm and mild. The flow over the dam in Butts is once more down to a trickle and no meaningful rain in sight. The outlook is for it to get warmer towards the weekend.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Well our plants are packed ready for there European adventure, last frosts there are reportedly April 13 th , except the freak one late April that did for my runner beans.

Temperatures out there have been in upper 20 s for over two weeks. Here I agree things are later. We have a Timeshare in the Lakes the second week in June. If it hits 14 degrees we are lucky! I believe the meteorologists use June 1 st, whilst if we talk about the longest day isn't it June21 st. However I think summer is a state of mind. I like to think summer but this year I feel like we are still stuck in early Spring :laugh5:

Frosts of course are linked to clear cold nights. We seem to get stuck in a rut of cloudy days with skies clearing in the evening giving us beautiful sunsets. I want to get my paints out! In France morning mists are common lurking until nearly 11.00a.m. Helps the plants grow (I hope) in an otherwise dry environment.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 24 May 2017, 02:12 Not in my book Sue. I reckon summer from when we can be sure of no early morning frost. That's usually the second week in June in Barlick.
We all know the deal apart from the meteorologists who insist on having the seasons run on tri-monthly cycles beginning at the start of a month. Probably for modern day number crunching but irritating when they jump the gun.

It's no coincidence that Stanleys observation above more or less coincides with the Summer Solstice. Our annual transit round the sun dictates the seasons, always has and always will. We roll into Summer this year on June 21st as Sue correctly mentioned.

Bit of a clue also from the old saying "Nere cast a clout till May is out" :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Old farmers reckoned second week in June as 'Grass Day' when you could expect cattle to lie out at night in comfort. It's not changed a lot over the years. I can remember snow falls in June......
Yesterday was another good dry day. At 21:00 it was overcast, calm and mild. Same this morning with mist in the bottoms. The glass is up slightly at 1020 and rock steady. The forecast is for the hottest day this year, dry and sunny with some cloud building late this afternoon. The high is 24C and the low 14C. The wind is very light and variable, starts in the North and swings round the compass to SE this evening. Looks like a genuine summer's day!
05:55. Early walk after shaving my head! I decided this was the day to do it. Very misty but full of promise. I look forward to a good day, the outlook is good also.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

There is a debate as to whether May refers to the month or the flower in never cast a clout till May is out. In my experience up north there isn't much difference between the two :laugh5:

I usually abandon socks about the 15 th May and sort out my summer clothes that weekend. I always keep some lightweight jumpers handy for another couple of weeks. A cardigan or lightweight fleece is always kept handy.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

My socks were cast aside this morning....then put back on when I realized I needed them for a walk round the fields in wellies.
Breakfast outside looking at this view!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 25 May 2017, 07:52 My socks were cast aside this morning....then put back on when I realized I needed them for a walk round the fields in wellies.
Breakfast outside looking at this view!
My 'breakfast' view was just the mist :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I did spare a thought for you poor folk down there... :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Put me down for whatever breakfast you are having, Wendy. I'm not fussy. I will just sit and enjoy the view.

Though we cannot complain. Haven't needed our heater yet...and still walking around in afternoon sun in T-shirts/sunglasses.
Having said that, I've likely sounded the end of sunny days, but given that I've been sleeping under just a sheet since last September, I cannot complain. Hubby has been eyeing off his night time granny rugs. He knows where they are if he needs extra bedding at night.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Hardly wear socks and only had tights on once this winter.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely pic Wendy and it did strike me that you would be having that view! I still have my vest on......
Lovely day yesterday, hotter than Margaret in Perth, WA! Some unfortunate shorts on view in the town.....
At 21:00 last night it was mild, light overcast and almost calm. This morning it's clearer than yesterday and we have had full sun since dawn. The glass is down slightly at 1016mb. The forecast is for full sun all day with a high of 24C and a low of 14C moderated slightly by the constant light to moderate SE breeze. It's another good day!
I was back home at 06:45 after a shirtsleeve walk to the butcher's. Some light mist in the bottoms but nowhere near as much as yesterday. Lovely morning but I see a report in the BET of a tree that has been vandalised in Valley Gardens by stripping the bark off which will kill it. Words fail me..... Apart from anything else a large knife must have been used.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I love the sun but when this heat comes so suddenly it puts me out.
Regarding 'cast not a clout' - I believe in dressing for the weather, no point sweltering in winter clothes because you cannot 'cast' them. If it comes cold again I will dress accordingly.
Say only a little but say it well.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 26 May 2017, 04:35 Lovely morning but I see a report in the BET of a tree that has been vandalised in Valley Gardens by stripping the bark off which will kill it. Words fail me..... Apart from anything else a large knife must have been used.....
There's been quite a bit of activity regarding that tree, and others behind Silentnight. Names have been passed to the authorities and there is an ongoing Police investigation...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh, I can assure you I am not sweltering!
Lovely evening at 21:00 and the same this morning, clear and calm. The glass is down on 1007mb. The forecast is for a sunny start to the day but from 10:00 onwards we can expect rain, heavy and thundery at times for the rest of the day. The high is 22C and the low 13C. The wind starts light in the East but during the day strengthens and backs round through southerly to west late tonight. Classic finish to a hot spell!
05:55. Can't remember when I last walked in tee shirt and waistcoat! A lovely morning but it isn't as clear as first thing and though we have full sun there are wisps of high cloud appearing. The dam in Butts has no flow over the cill but that will change later! These are the classic conditions that can lead to extreme weather events like the 1932 flood so keep your eyes open later on just in case! I shall be unplugging the computer and router later this morning, better safe than sorry!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Moh wrote: 26 May 2017, 12:30 I love the sun but when this heat comes so suddenly it puts me out.
Regarding 'cast not a clout' - I believe in dressing for the weather, no point sweltering in winter clothes because you cannot 'cast' them. If it comes cold again I will dress accordingly.
I agree . In Brittany yesterday it was 35 degrees. Who wants 35 degrees. A summer dress was called for, a rare event for me. It was a very hot night too and unfortunately, we still have our winter weight duvet on the bed. That could change today.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have been in my Tee shirt the last two days and sleeping without the duvet......
We had some thunder rain at midday yesterday but the worst of the storms forecast never materialised, just overcast and showers. It was raining lightly at 21:00 last night and the same first thing this morning. The glass is up a touch at 1009mb. The forecast is back to normal this morning. Overcast all day with a chance of light showers. The high is 16C and the low 11C with a constant light to moderate west wind most of the day. Back to 'normal' late May weather!
06:00. Back indoors after a dry walk on a damp, overcast morning with a fresh westerly breeze. Much cooler and the rain must have been absorbed well yesterday because flow in Butts Beck is only slightly increased. Everything looks very green!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”