WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Perhaps they will learn a lesson about moderation Kev..... I hope so!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A lot of the young talent who were performing are from the current and last year 11 at WCHS, nurtured in their skills by Andrew Gilmour (Giz). I spotted a lot of their peers on town who were no doubt there to give support, some of course at that age don't know when enough is enough. Some fairly dodgy smokes being passed around also, I have always considered day one to be a a bit of a crèche day. Hard to counter when the event is in a public place rather than a gated affair, someone over on FB suggested ID after 9pm, hows that going to work then? They will have had time to recover before the next time I have them for an exam, one or two more added to my "usual suspects" for this year.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to see the volunteers picking litter when I went for my late walk. They are doing a good job, even tidied the steps down into the Pioneer Car park at the end of Cooperative Street, it was a terrible mess first thing this morning.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 28 May 2017, 07:57 Some fairly dodgy smokes being passed around also
David Whipp's party say they will make this legal. Not sure what to think about that, but I'm fairly sure the law of unintended consequences would come into play. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't like the idea but I was knocking back my five fag packs of Woodbines at that age and am still addicted to nicotine so who am I to judge anyone.....
I noticed that BOTS was quiet yesterday, I see this morning why......
Sofa loose covers and cushion covers are the hardest things in the house to wash and dry!
Later at 07:00. Our morning walk revealed another bad morning for litter. The Town Square itself isn't too bad but the surrounding areas are worse than yesterday even though a lot of litter picking has already been done as evidenced by the full black bags dotted round the town. The difference this morning is that the dog bin on the Green near the old folk's home has been kicked over, the litter bin outside one stop on Church Street has been overturned and litter scattered about. A pavement bollard outside the Trustee Bank has been uprooted. The general picture is of the morning after the night before....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A lot less litter in the town this morning.
I see that Allan Parkinson's name has been made public.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

My attention was attracted by my DNA results - I am 51% British; 34% Europe West - Belgium, France etc.; 8% Scandinavian - Sweden, Norway, Denmark (Vikings!!); and 2% West Asia - i.e. 1% Caucasus, 1% Middle East.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I suppose that makes you a classic Celt Moh!
How gloomy the last two days have been. Thankfully we will have sun today! It was coming daylight at 03:30 this morning outside......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The dithering of President Trump over the Paris Agreement. If he decides to renege on it he commits the US to isolationism. I suspect he will have to do a U-turn. I hope so as this is the most pressing problem of our time.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Trump has done the unthinkable, he has withdrawn the US form the Paris Climate Change agreement. The US and Syria are the only countries in the world not participating. (Some reports add Nicaragua but they have not agreed because they don't thing Paris goes far enough so they don't count)
This is, as the Guardian says, more damaging to the US than climate change itself.
This man is deranged.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In a perverse way I'm pleased that he's chosen to withdraw because it could be the turning point for him. There are now leading Republicans who are supporting efforts to tackle climate change, so Trump is causing his own party even more distress.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm not too sure he is a 'Republican' Tiz, he used them as a vehicle for his own ends. He's going to be as mad as a wet hen when he finds he can't withdraw or re-negotiate, that isn't how international treaties work..... So it's another spur of the moment election promise broken.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We nearly wet ourselves laughing today...
On Saturday mornings we always listen to the "Buy, Swap or Sell" on the local country radio, as we unpack our groceries and stow stuff away. Sellers ( country folk mainly) can ring the radio station and advertise up to three items for sale ( and it can be anything from a tractor to a roll of barbed wire - but no firearms or drugs allowed). We have had a few giggles over the years with stuff people want to sell. They can be quite amusing. Such things as chickens, pups, cars, goldfish, lawn mowers, car parts, caravans....even Grandad's chair because he died!
An older gentleman came on today. I can't think for the life of me what he was selling now, but whatever it was, all he wanted in payment was a bottle of Brandy!
We have had some cold mornings this week, so the host replied with "I expect a small nip may help you get moving in the mornings?"
" oh no...not in the mornings because "Mother" is about" he answered.
Later in the call, a noise was heard in the background and the host asked what the noise was.
The caller's voice dropped to a whisper and we heard him say "That's her now". He quickly gave his contact number and hung up!

What a scream. I believe he was referring to his wife.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

More attacks in London...
I thought I heard something mentioned about Manchester too, but they haven't repeated that information at this early stage.
( BBC report was only 6 mins old at that point)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Maz. See THIS BBC report of 6 dead, 20 injured and 3 suspects shot. Breaking news at the moment.....
Jeffrey Archer is currently on World Book Club on World Service answering questions about his novel 'Kane and Abel'. Now there's a discredited name from the past.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We've nothing to fear now, Maz - Theresa May has said "Enough is enough". Mind you, she also said "Brexit is Brexit" so I guess this is her way of handling things. :extrawink:
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 10:39 We've nothing to fear now, Maz - Theresa May has said "Enough is enough". Mind you, she also said "Brexit is Brexit" so I guess this is her way of handling things. :extrawink:
She is right, enough is enough. Get back full control of the country. Tackle the savages without fear. Hope she wins on Thursday.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I wondered why the bomb squad were in Barlick yesterday http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/b ... 8577533
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

chinatyke wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 12:54 She is right, enough is enough. Get back full control of the country. Tackle the savages without fear. Hope she wins on Thursday.
Fine and dandy wishing a furtherance of austerity and the policies that go with it from afar, you don't have to live with them.

I would also ask who are the "savages", I thought they were fundamentalist terrorists, under the radar how would you suggest guarding against a hire van and a set of kitchen knives that can be bought anywhere? It's political spin off the back of tragedy.
Big Kev wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 16:04 I wondered why the bomb squad were in Barlick yesterday
Looks like someone's trophy that's been dumped in the canal, cant see any other reason for an inert projectile in the cut.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 21:36 Fine and dandy wishing a furtherance of austerity and the policies that go with it from afar, you don't have to live with them.
You are correct, I chose not to live in England but in an austere and law-abiding country, but I still pay UK tax and contribute to these evil scumbags that live among you.
PanBiker wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 21:36 I would also ask who are the "savages", I thought they were fundamentalist terrorists, under the radar how would you suggest guarding against a hire van and a set of kitchen knives that can be bought anywhere? It's political spin off the back of tragedy.
They weren't under the radar and were known to the authorities. It's treason and they should be hung.
Political correctness protects them, it's time for a change in attitudes and calling a spade a spade. Isn't that what we Yorkshire people do? :grin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We could go the whole hog China and bring back public beheading, flogging and stoning of women. Just like Saudi where most of the fundamentalism originated. Or we could just keep calm and carry on. I know which I prefer.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

8 officers took out 3 of them with 50 bullets, I don’t think they were messing about...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Big Kev wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 16:04 I wondered why the bomb squad were in Barlick yesterday..
The article says: "The shell was spotted by a member of the public in the canal off Long Ing Lane on Saturday," then continues: "The North-West Underwater Search Unit was brought in and following an extensive search, the shell was located just off the canal bank." Didn't they think to ask the member of the public where he or she had spotted the shell? :confused:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Now for something different. Stop worrying about terrorists, Brexit and elections and take the attitude of this man!
`Canada tornado: Alberta lawn-mowing man defies twister' LINK
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Saw the man mowing with the tornado in the back ground...clapped my hand to my mouth...and wondered what the person shooting the film was thinking. ( leave the buggar out there? Teach him a lesson?)
Or was it the bloody mindset of the mower? ( Monday IS washing day, Sunday IS lawn day...I shall not be moved!)

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”