WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Callunna

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Callunna »

Stanley wrote:... the comment re the Italian cruise ship captain leaving work early and mentioning Wallace Hartley of the Titanic orchestra. They say that the only memorial to him in Colne is the Wetherspoon's pub 'The Wallace Hartley' and that they didn't do their research very well because he was a Methodist and a fervent teetotaller. Are they right, is there no other memorial in the town?
There's a statue outside the Muni on the main road through Colne, isn't there?
http://www.titanic-titanic.com/titanic_ ... tley.shtml
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

(And a museum devoted to the Titanic in the old grammar school beside St Barts.)
A very loud rumble caught our attention tonight. We checked outside and no disasters seemed to have occurred, so we decided it must have been thunder. Then there were blue flashing lights up on the road near where our track emerges, and it was obvious that a car was on its roof, so we decided it must have been the noise of the accident. A little while later the police car came down the track (looking for my neighbour who had left her car up by the road in case of more snow by morning). No one had been hurt, but my neighbours car had suffered in the accident. He told us that the noise had been a Sonic Boom, heard right across the area and made by a low flying jet practicing for the olympics! :surprised:
Anyone else hear it?
(Spell check wants me to write neighbor.... isn't that American?)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Diesel diversions , I think all Taxis should be on LPG along with council dustcarts , would save quite a bit,buses are still become more hybrids but mostly in urban areas , long time for Pennine to catch up.
When I used to do diesel v petrol car price comparisons on whole life costing diesel worked out slightly better ( this was in the days of Renualt 14 diesels from what I remember , the Talbot Horizon came out as most expensive for the company car to have )
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

I have visited Wallace Hartley's grave in Colne, here is a link to a picture of it: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... emPhotos=Y& The grave yard was on a hillside on the edge of the town, in case there is more than one.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, there was a flash in the sky at about 18:00 last night and I wondered if it was lightning. Too late for your car crash of course but it caught my attention, Seemed to be in the North. . You must have got the same clap of snow that Doc had, he said it was a white-out for a short while but seemed to be an isolated shower.
I am declaring the Xmas Present cold defunct. Still a few side-effects left but everything improving daily. Am still taking it easy, I don't want to give it any excuse to come back but I think I've survived and would be grateful if the Wicked Cold Fairy left me alone for another ten years!
Funny news item from Ireland this morning, the Welfare Department has objected to unemployed people turning up for interview in their pyjamas. Question is, what constitutes 'pyjamas'? Are they actually objecting to any sort of informal clothing? Why should they have any opinions at all as long as people attend on time and are polite?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, there is a piece on Farming Today this morning about mice. Evidently the pest controllers are saying that there are many more about than usual. They could be ganging up on you!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see that according to the report in the BET on Jo Hesketh's Pendle witch inspired art exhibition that she 'worked alongside John Clayton.. to investigate the arrest of 10 local people' Well, one thing is certain, John will have kept her on the straight and narrow as regards the historical accuracy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

...the price of coal.

Bought 100kgs (4 25kg bags) of Settle Coal Co. Burnwell, for £32.80 this morning. Are there any better bargains around?

Also picked up a bootfull (VW Golf) of logs for £35.

The Squirrel is up and burning again after a few days of "I don't have time to clean it out and light it, lets put the central heating on instead"...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Application Number 13/11/0622P
Address BANK STREET JOINERY WORKS

BANK STREET

BB18 6AU

Application Type Planning Applications
Date Valid 22/12/2011
Proposal Full: Demolish existing building and erection of 5 No. x 2 No. bedroom houses (height to ridge of 10m and eaves 5.6m).
Officer Greenwood, Lee
Applicant Name

At right angles to Bank Street?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The entrance to the site is on Bank Street however you are correct in that the existing building is oriented at right angles. If houses are built the same and I suppose they would have to be to fit on the plot they will be an extension of Hill Street.
Ian
Gearce

Post by Gearce »

Just registered for the new OGFB ...... Congratulations DOC on a job well done ...... Probably take me a wee while to get used to it though
To quote ANONYMOUS
I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

For the second week running .In the local edition of The Cornish Guardian , there is nearly half a page devoted to "tributes" to a young man who died in a car accident......
It happened on a two lane (typically Cornish banked) road at about 8.30 pm , and there were no other vehicles involved.
After an innocuous right hand bend , he managed to hit the offside bank and turn his V W Polo over.....
He is described in glowing terms as wonderful , kind , talented.......(need I go on ?)
Nobody seems to be mentioning the fact that the car was NOT very badly damaged, and that he wasn't wearing a seatbelt .........and of course the scene is littered with flowers.....
I'm not an unkind person , but this sort of thing makes me boil......He Was Just Stupid !...... (and I don't like litter) .
Bring on the day when we see a by-line that says "Inappropriate speed kills another Idiot"....it won't happen ,though eh !
But it might make people stop and think......
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

I will keep you posted. We are not sure if Arnie (for that is his name now) was our only visitor. It does go some way to explain the dogs' erratic behaviour. Okay, what is wrong with the way I have spelled behaviour? :confused: Oh and I must stop using the smilies. :paranoia:
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know what you mean Brad but I suppose they are trying not to cause any additional woe to parents etc.. When I was on the road every day I used to watch the standard of driving and marvel at the fact there were so few accidents. In fact, the general lowering of driving standards was the main reason I chucked my car into touch, I don't mind admitting that they frightened me!
Kev, last time I was abreast of coal prices was 35 years ago at Bancroft, Washed singles were £35 a ton so it's about ten times dearer now! B&D charge £34.80 for 4x20kg smokeless so that price is cheaper. Do Settle Coal Co deliver in Barlick? I think I have occasionally seen their wagon in the town. I've settled down with my stove management now, there is no doubt that my gas bill will be down when they next assess my usage because I have been able to turn the thermostat down without affecting my kitchen temperature (where I spend the day) and of course once the fire is lit the CH cuts out but of course I have spent on smokeless fuel. The new regime started ion January and coincided with my three month gas usage review so come April I'll have a pretty accurate picture of my fuel costs. Not expecting any massive drop overall but I have better quality of life because of better control of front room temperature where I spend my evenings. I shall report!
Salvage of Costa Concordia starts next week. Smit are doing the job and will start pumping fuel out this weekend. They say they are confident they can salvage the ship. A wonderful firm and it will be worth keeping an eye on them. I shall be keeping an eye on them on this site http://www.smit.com/sitefactor/page.asp?pageid=1546
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Bradders, if only people would take their flowers out of the wrapper so the shrine doesn't turn into a pile of celophane,ribbon and brown stalks.
No one was hurt in the smash outside our place the other night, and the policeman who came to see us was quite happy that it was "Just one of those things" in bad conditions. Er, yes but.... the lad lost control driving uphill on a dead straight road, crossed over to the right, smashed through a "Welcome to North Yorkshire" sign, demolished 2 metres of wall, knocked a huge stone gatepost over and ended upside down in close contact with my neighbours car which she had parked at the end of the track. What if some poor soul had been coming the other way?
What has got us a bit riled is the mess which has been left on our track, broken glass, bits of car, food wrapperd and the inevitable half drunk bottle of coke. Who should clear it all up?
Lovely view from up there though when I went to take the photos this morning!
Last edited by Wendyf on 28 Jan 2012, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

[quote="Stanley"] Do Settle Coal Co deliver in Barlick? [quote]

Not sure but I would reckon the "Burnwell" would be cheaper (I must check). I get it from Lower Park Marina at £8.20 for a 25kg bag.

Fred Green, at Gargrave, deliver in Barlick by the bag and it's the same price as collection, £9 ish for a 25kg bag of "Supaheat"
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendy mentioned a sonic boom the other day...

from the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16766616

27 January 2012 Last updated at 18:09

A loud noise heard by people across the north of England was caused by an RAF fighter jet breaking the sound barrier, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has said.

The MoD confirmed a Typhoon jet from RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire was authorised to go supersonic overland at 15:53 GMT.

The reports coincided with a major exercise ahead of the Olympics involving RAF jets over Yorkshire.

Two Typhoon jets from RAF Coningsby took part in the exercise.

The British Geological Survey said it had received reports from people in east Cumbria, North Yorkshire and West Yorkshire, who described hearing a "massive bang".

An MoD spokesman said the exercise, codenamed Taurus Mountain 1, was an opportunity for Royal Airforce and Royal Navy pilots to practice operating alongside each other in preparation for their security role at the Olympics.

Typhoon aircraft will be based at London's RAF Northolt during the Games.

A sonic boom is the sound associated with the shock waves created when an object, such as an aircraft, breaks the sound barrier.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I realized later that my "boom" was too late, at about 8.30pm, for the sonic one so it must have been thunder, or the car hitting the wall.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It was yesterday actually but wat attracted my attention was a report in the BET from 1983 showing Stanley in a sharp suit taking up his new post at Pendle Heritage Centre. I came across the report while I was researching the year for moving the war memorial to it's present site. Findings of which will be over in the BWMG thread in due course.
Ian
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

I am completely confused by the above...Julie whatever has been happening? and Wendy, there are three large black photos with red 'no entry' signs on them with the words "you are not authorised to view this picture" printed accross them...oh dear what have I done?
and what new post at the pnedle heritage centre have you taken up Stanley?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I am sorry Belle :confused: I can see them, but can anyone else?
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

belle wrote: ...and what new post at the pnedle heritage centre have you taken up Stanley?
In the Lancashire Evening News it was said to be one of those that support the fence near the main gate. But it also claimed that he was going to put it back.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Bank Street Joinery , do they mean this location ?
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=BB18+6A ... CCEQ8gEwAA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Whyperion - Yes.

Belle - the report was from 1983!

Wendy, I cant see your pictures either.
Ian
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Wendy's pictures have appeared , are they predictors of Stanleys new post ( the uprights seem to date from 1983 )

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”