MEDICAL MATTERS

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Wendyf »

Chemists do sell them Maz, but over here they tend to be the more expensive and less cost effective versions. The one Col uses is the one currently recommended by the local health authority so he can get the test strips free on prescription. Just waiting for him to return from a wet walk so I can get advice.
The meters are actually free on the manufacturers website, its the test strips that cost the money!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

This is what Colin came up with, you can get a full kit with a starter pack of 10 test strips and lancets for free, but he advises buying an extra pack of test strips.

Hypos can only be caused by medication, typically Insulin, Sulfonylurea (Gliclazide) or DPP-4 inhibitors (gliptins).
Metformin only reduces BG levels by at most 1mmol/L - and then only if you eat carbs - (it works mainly as an appetite suppressant) - while on a LCHF diet it has no effect on my BG readings.

If you go low(ish) you body reacts and your liver manufactures glucose (Glycogenolysis) to meet any shortfall.

BG meters:
Code free, available on Amazon or direct from:
https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/ ... -kit-mmol/

Lancashire Health Authority supply (via you GP) the Spirit Healthcare TEE2 - it is availble FREE from them direct:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/ ... ose-meter/

So this recommended.
You will also need lancets and more test strips:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/ ... ng-strips/
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/ ... g-lancets/

If you are diagnosed Diabetic, you can claim it VAT free, so be sure to tick the box!
Lancets are re-usable (I use the same one for months) - but obviously not if you share the meter!
Don't prick you finger tips! - sample on the side of you fingers, see:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/19774432.php

They also do a USB cable for downloading the results:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/ ... -usb-lead/

and software: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/support/ - but only for Windows and Mac....

The BG meter is a valuable tool, use it to show EXACTLY what carbs do to you body.
Simply test before a meal, one hour after and then again after 2 hours.
You will then see which foods 'spike' your BG levels, so you know what to avoid....

No one diagnosed as diabetic should be deprived one!

Colin
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 07:36 Just to be sure Stanley, next time it happens let me or Kev pop round with a blood test meter to check your glucose levels. It's only a tiny pinprick on your finger and won't take more than a minute! :grin:
I was issued with a new meter, I still have the old one complete with some testing strips (in fact I'm still using it to use up the strips). You're more than welcome to it if you want to 'try before you buy' (or get for free) and I can start using the new one.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Good plan Kev, go for it Stanley!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I don't know if this has already been discussed on OG - it appeared in the press a day or two ago.
British doctors trial simple gut operation that 'cures or controls' diabetes
LINK
`A simple gut operation that sees a plastic film inserted into the stomach could cure or control diabetes, British doctors have found. Patients taking part in trials at King's College Hospital and University College Hospital in London and City Hospital in Birmingham found their diabetes had disappeared or become much milder after the operations. Francesco Rubino, professor of metabolic surgery at King's, told The Sunday Times: "About 50 per cent of patients are diabetes-free after these procedures. The remaining people demonstrate big improvements of blood sugar control and can drastically reduce their dependence on insulin or other medication. In many patients, blood sugar levels go back to normal within days, long before declines in fat levels or weight." The treatments stem from a new view of the causes of diabetes, a condition in which there is too much glucose in the blood. Diabetes has previously been blamed on the pancreas not secreting enough insulin, the hormone that controls glucose levels - but Rubino and his colleagues believe the gut is the key player. Andrea Midmer, 59, a nurse, took part in the trial, in which a plastic liner or "endobarrier" was fitted into her stomach to stop the walls of her upper gut coming into contact with the food she ate.'

It all sounds a bit odd to me. I would have thought the liner might block uptake of some essential molecules from the gut.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Aagh! Gastric bands have the same effect, as would wiring up the jaw or starvation!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Are sugar molecules large than other needed trace elements ? Hence some membranes could allow flow of some,but not others.

I suppose I should just stick to CornFlakes and not Frosties (why are these poison foods not banned?)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Whyperion wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 12:36 I suppose I should just stick to CornFlakes and not Frosties (why are these poison foods not banned?)
Have a look at this first!

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thank Colin for taking the trouble Wendy. And yes Kev, I'd like to give it a trial! Usual terms.....
What a wonderful thing OG is....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev brought the meter yesterday and showed me how to use it. The reading then, about half an hour after my tea was 8.3. I have just done a test again before my dinner after my usual overnight fast and the reading now is 6.8. I've looked up recommended levels and it looks as though I am OK!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Good to hear that your diabetes control is good. So it should be with your diet now!
It's best to test about an hour after your meal to get a peak reading. It takes between 50 and 70 minutes for the glucose to get into your blood. If you test again after another hour you discover if your insulin is doing it's job. You should have returned to a normal range by then. (Between 4 and 7mmols)
Its worth experimenting by doing this after different meals to see what effect they have.....especially after your bowl of muesli !
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I don't want to frighten anyone but an Indian friend of mine would always have a bowl of muesli every morning. Later in life he started with symptoms of paralysis in his neck which then started to affect the rest of his body. Our medics had given up on him but following his native culture he went on a faste. Gradually he started to recover. Without any true scientific evidence he put the blame on the muesli and some kind of allergy. He never wanted to prove the point.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm sure you are right about the muesli Wendy and my occasional carb lapses like chips or steak pudding but I never have any ill-effects and enjoy them so I am not going into a decline. My next target is to get the 7lbs off that I carry because I enjoy my food so much!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for a BBC report on a very persuasive study that has been done on life expectancy. "University College London expert Sir Michael Marmot said he was "deeply concerned" by the situation, saying it was "entirely possible" austerity was affecting how long people live." The MOH of course immediately refutes this but it's the old problem isn't it, who do we trust, the spin from government or a respectable scientific study. On balance, I'll go with Sir Michael.....
Austerity has consequences far beyond simple economics and this is what the 'Sound Money' advocates simply don't get. I refer you to the Rowntree research since the late 19th century which has consistently laid open the problems and consequences.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Not really surprised. Austerity generally results in 'efficiency' drives, less people doing the same or more work. This is not necessarily a bad thing in an expanding market where there is more job creation to absorb the displaced workers. Today the workers are being spread out into low paid jobs with less hours and uncertain job security. The result is more stress, change in hormone levels, worst health, and possibly shorter lives. Population growth solved.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Interesting that the decline in improvement started in 2010......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Nine lifestyle changes can reduce dementia risk, study says' BBC report
OGFB members won't be surprised by the list but the report confirms the statistical association. The study's results will be presented at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference today. The press release covering the study is here: LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted them Tiz and apart from smoking I am hitting all the targets. Common sense really but as you say it's nice to see it statistically confirmed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes, it's a pity they couldn't distinguish between cigarette smokers and pipe smokers but there's not much chance of that - you're a rare commodity! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They never have Tiz and we should be made the subject of a study while we are still here!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Baby Charlie case drags on and has become a cause celebre attracting the trolls on the web. That poor child, this has been going on since March.....
On a personal note, dangerous to crow too much but the new lower carb regime is still suiting me. Considering the mileage I am in wonderful condition. Gott sei dank!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS report on the shockingly low levels of activity in middle aged people is worth noting. It costs nothing, is common sense and if they could put the benefits in a pill it would be the most profitable drug ever invented!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for a report on what looks like a very promising development in cancer treatment. The originators of the work say that they think it could be extended to other pernicious diseases such as HIV AIDS.
The only fly in the ointment is that in the US each treatment will cost at least £376,000.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Here is one for Medical Matters.
You somehow quietly absorb those Winter ads on TV for specific cough mixtures/syrups that promise "to stop those night time coughs so the whole family can get a good night's sleep."
Hubby has kept both of us awake with a hacking night time cough for two nights now ( I am considering divorce) :laugh5:
Went to the chemist today...and THEY claim...there is NO NIGHT-TIME cough mixture! ( I saw the ads but can't recall the product)
They claim an expectorant will " make him cough so much during the day that he is bound to sleep at night"!!!!

Snake Oil salesmen I say! What happened to stuff you bought from the Chemist that actually WORKED?!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

There is one called Night Nurse (they have Day Nurse as well) over here Maz, never used it but it's in the mix.

Net Doctor - Night Nurse

My dad swore in eating a raw onion like an apple and following it with a large whiskey before bed. The onion opens up the tubes and the whiskey makes you sleep. Not tried that one either. :extrawink:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”