WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Cathy »

Good story Tize, wish it was still the same. Alas.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thinking about my maternal Grandfather Fred Hall who was at the 3rd Battle of Ypres, (Passchendaele). He survived the three months of fighting but was buried alive at one point and had to be dug out by his mates, he succumbed to gas inhalation and spent some time in hospital recovering before the end of hostilities, he suffered with his chest for the rest of his life. As a little lad I remember him wheezing, he had one of those early nebulisers with a rubber bulb, funny what stays in your mind.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When I had my trip to the battlefields with my Carleton students I think Tyne Cot Cemetery affected me more than anything else we saw.

A young lass asked me why men from the empire volunteered to come all that way to die in the mud. I told her I didn't know and that if she ever found out would she please tell me. By the way, there is still a German pill box under the cross on the hill. You can see the field of fire the machine gunners had..... It was a classic killing field.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Just trawling through some of the old postings and noticed that images prior to 8th Feb 2017 couldn't be displayed. Is this a total loss or is the current software not up to it?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The images are still in the gallery (well, most of them). They are not displayed in the posts because the Gallery module has been upgraded with every image therein now having a different URL reference, so the links as in the original posts are no longer valid. I have not yet found a resolution to this problem, it would require changing just short of 15,000 references in posts across the board and would need to be automated.

Personally I have edited up some of my own threads which rely on the images to support the narrative. such as Favourite Walks, Amateur Radio Homebrew and a few others, Ok if you have an odd half hour to spare, it's just a case of replacing the old reference with the new.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker, 15,000+ sounds a bloody lot of work. Why I was asking was that shortly we will have remembrance day on us again and I would liked to have see the posts round this subject available. I would be willing to cover all my own posts (Pendle Memorials, etc;) if I was shown but understand it must be sanctioned by the administrator team. What do you think?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You don't need any admin consent P as you can edit any of your own posts.

What you need to do is replace the original URL string for each image with the new format from the Gallery for the relevant image.

For a single thread this is not as onerous as it would first seem

The main syntax of the URL has changed but the image number has not.

The way I do this is to edit the post with the images in. Navigate to the first image in the Gallery and copy the new URL. Insert this in the normal way with the Insert Image utility in the editor, position it immediately below the old string. Note that the syntax is totally different but the image number is the same.

The syntax for each new image remains exactly the same apart from the image number.

What I do is to copy the first new completed string in its entirety and use this to paste below every other image in the post, all you have to do then is to change the image numbers accordingly.

Delete the original redundant string from above and you are done, re save the post and your images will be back.

If you go to your Memorials thread and edit the first post with images in you will see that I have done the first one for you, I have left the old redundant one in for comparison.

Pendle War Memorials

You could just copy the first replacement string and copy it down the page, if you copy the string complete with the [img] bbcodes you don't need to use Insert Image, just whack them in and pop back and change the numbers.

Once you get the method it's relatively easy, but no good for 15,000. Have fun :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't hold your breath until I do Shed Matters...... :laugh5:
Today is Fellsman Day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Today is Fellsman Day!, is this different to YORKSHIRE DAY ?
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

My wife has graduated from the University of Liverpool. Doesn’t seem 4 years ago that she informed me she was packing in work as she’d been offered a place to read psychology. I was so chuffed. She had left school at 16 with no qualifications at all and had worked ever since, running her own business and other pressured roles. Liverpool University had an option for the non-traditional entrant like her. She re-payed their punt with a very good degree and is now working up her final year project and looking to funding for a PhD into the topic. The University are interested.

Richard Broughton
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent Richard I wish her well. :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

All my old images re-installed. Thank you PanBiker. Must have been a clear instruction for a thicky like me to do it.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You are welcome, glad you managed OK Plaques. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wonderful, news Richard, give her my love and tell her I know exactly what it means to do a late degree! She will have been a real asset to the younger students on her course!

The Scots Guardsman coming into Appleby from Carlisle yesterday afternoon for the return journey with dinner to Blackburn. Susan and I had a lovely day and wonder of wonders, lovely weather all day once we reached Appleby in the morning. Perfect day for it, It did us both the world of good. I shall spend the day recovering!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mainly the lousy summer we are having. I can get quite depressed realising that next month is September and the days are drawing in. It would be nice to have a bit of good weather!
£180million for a footballer and his annual wage will be £40million...... It's a very strange world.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The BBC reporting last night on the WASPI women's plight. Some fiscal committee or something apparently has worked out their weekly loss at £32.00? Doesn't sound all that much really does it, say it quickly and it hardly matters.

Now, unless I am completely stupid, If at the age of 60 you are due to be paid £150.00 weekly in State Pension or thereabouts and then all of a sudden you are told you will not receive it. You are £150 worse off, where on earth they get the £32.00 from sounds like a dumbing down in my mind.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Ah, Yes, Well, But. They seemed to arrive at this figure by lumping women into various groups, generally in lumps of millions of women.
Taking those who carry on working through this retirement time phase they will replace a substantial lump of pension with earnings their loss could be very little or zero.
Similarly, lumping those who would not get a full pension because of their working history their loss may average £74 per week.
Adding the two together the magic average is now £32.
So there you have it. £150 per week down to £32 in one easy move. All that's missing is the comparison with a packet of fags.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The bottom line, and great efforts are expended building a veil of smoke and mirrors to obscure it, is that in the days of a government like Labour in 1945 the aim was to run society bearing the majority of the population in mind. Today it is to run it for the benefit of the most wealthy. In order to do that the bottom 90% have to be screwed. How well is the project going? Read THIS and add that Carney also said incomes were tighter than at any time in the last 100 years. In this process women are being dreadfully treated and this reinforces another Tory principle, misogyny.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A malicious spoof Nationwide email message is going the rounds. I've mentioned it on the Scam Emails thread: LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My mail is quite well filtered but I had one yesterday from Amazon about something I hadn't bought. I didn't even open it, just deleted it. I do that with all mail I don't recognise or referring to an account. This policy has not caused me any problems so far!
The big news story that a place has been found for the Girl 'X' in a secure institution. No mention of the fact that there are almost certainly other cases going on under the radar.....
The additional wearing sole on my sheepskin slippers needs sticking back on.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS report in the Telegraph has my sympathy. It's an appeal to cut back on Elfin Safety on school trips. The argument being that kids are being reared without any experience of managing their own safety. I don't think the death rate was high amongst us kids 70 years ago when we were doing our adventure training!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz received her new National Trust membership card for this year. She and her sister were given presents of lifetime membership when their parents retired and each card allowed free entrance for the member plus one guest. Mrs Tiz's new card stated only `Admit one member'. When she phoned her sister and checked, her card stated `Admit one member and guest'. She contacted NT and was told `Sorry, it's an error' and they'll send a correct card. I wonder how many they've sent out with errors? And have they thought how many people won't have noticed, gone on holiday and then found they had to pay for their spouse or friend when going into NT sites? A nice little earner for the NT over the holiday period. I wonder who thought that one up? Probably the same people who told the NT volunteer guides that they must wear Gay Pride badges. Not surprisingly many of the guides have refused and the NT has had to do a U-turn on the issue. But that doesn't amke up for having `outed' one of its main benefactors as gay to mark 50 years since the decriminalisation of homosexuality. The has also produced a film called `The Unfinished Portrait', narrated by Stephen Fry, as part of its Prejudice and Pride programme highlighting the previously secret lives of the lesbian gay, bisexual and transgender occupants of its properties.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We spent a small fortune on NT on our last visit, being overseas visitors who wanted to see absolutely everything. Not complaining...
( but who cares about the "gay" thing these days??? Honestly, we are all "over" the shock. To me, it is getting a bit ho hum. Why should anyone's sexual preference interest any of us anyway??? )
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Every night, hubby washes up, and I wipe.
Tonight, I noticed him craning his neck to watch football, which meant cleanliness of dishes suffered. I had handed several things back for re-washing. When he complained it was his poor eyesight to blame ( not eye-balling the football), I handed him the casserole dish I was wiping and said "well....rub your fingertips over this darling, 'cos the muck feels like Braille."
He got the message....
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Marilyn wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 09:27 ...( but who cares about the "gay" thing these days??? Honestly, we are all "over" the shock. To me, it is getting a bit ho hum. Why should anyone's sexual preference interest any of us anyway??? )
I agree, Maz, and here in the UK we've been flooded with programmes about gay, LBGT etc on the BBC recently. It's as if the BBC has decided we're all homophobic and it's their job to `correct' us. I can imagine a future where everybody has to be a `minority' and if you don't fit into a category they'll create one for you. Then if you don't show your support for all the minorities you'll be tarred and feathered and become a classed as a heretic.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”