WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

There are two sets of funding Maz. First is the cost of steaming the engine for a day for the commemoration which will be a public steaming, everyone welcome. I shall donate that to the Trust when they have told me what they think is appropriate, they have a committee meeting today.
The second lot of funding is me helping the Trust to avoid closure because of the increased drainage charges. We have started the campaign! Part of the proceedings will be chucking the tube of my ashes into the furnace of the boiler.... We used to burn the occasional cat and dog so I might as well go the same way.
I missed replying but Cathy asked me what would happen to Jack or whichever dog I have when I die. Susan assured me a long time ago that she and Mick will take him, they and their dogs like him. If I outlive Jack the next one will be another terrier.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh...I get it now ( I think). There will be some sort of ceremony ( to you) at Bancroft, when you die?
I have possibly missed reading back, but you posted about making funeral arrangements on several topics, and I seem to have been busier than usual this last week, so short of reading time. I couldn't understand why Bancroft kept getting mentioned along with your demise (!) and then when I read about flooding, and funding, I was even more confused.

What attracted MY attention today? I saw my first WHALE, breaching off the coast. Truly amazing, as we were walking an elevated coastal path, so had a great view. I thought it was a submarine at first. I felt so lucky to have seen it, that I bought a lottery ticket on the way home.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz, they are wonderful beasts aren't they! I saw one off Fremantle and have never forgotten it.
Sorry I confused you over the steaming. I had word this morning the Trust have agreed and I shall give them a substantial donation immediately.
See THIS BBC report of the Mayweather/McGregor fight in Las Vegas. I'm happy to say that Floyd beat the cage-fighter whose lack of experience in long fights showed in the end. Mind you, McGregor didn't disgrace himself, he took the best boxer in the world to ten rounds.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My computer crashed during updating of Firefox and it's now busted and wont start. I'm using Chrome at the moment. Looks like I will have to downloaded it again and manually install.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 27 Aug 2017, 09:02 My computer crashed during updating of Firefox and it's now busted and wont start. I'm using Chrome at the moment. Looks like I will have to downloaded it again and manually install.
I'm on Windows 10 and successfully got the Firefox update, Ian. I don't notice anything different about it.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Windows 10 here also China. I know what the problem is, it's my laptop which sometimes crashes shortly after startup. I am fairly sure it's memory problem. Updates are normally fine but this morning it coincided with a shutdown during the installation. I downloaded Firefox and just reinstalled over the top, all is fine now and I have all my bookmarks etc.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Firefox seems very resilient these days. (Famous last words!)

Roger Dyson at Pendle Heritage sent me this today......
The fact that it took me 5 hours to do a load of washing yesterday! Roll on the new one.......

I am increasingly convinced that Tiz and Janet are in the throes of flitting! I haven't tried to contact them because they will have enough on their plate!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 03:16 I am increasingly convinced that Tiz and Janet are in the throes of flitting! I haven't tried to contact them because they will have enough on their plate!
There is a precedent for an expedition by Stanley to darkest Taunton. I think the time may have come. For Livingstone - read Tizer. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Looking back on Family Matters Tiz gave his removal date as the 9th August, his last visit to the site was on the 8th. It might be time to try an email to check that all is OK Stanley?
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Perhaps he is still organising his sock drawer...

Tizzy! Get a wriggle on! We want to hear all about your new home...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've mailed Janet Wendy......
Diabetes clinic comes round again. I go for bloods today and have remembered to pee in my bottle!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The scales at the surgery surprised me. They showed that fully dressed and wearing heavy boots I was still under 13 stone. Time to have a replacement for my old Salter spring scales? I doubt it, they may not be accurate but they still show me what the trend is and I'd rather have them reading heavy than light....
It's stopped raining in Houston. That must be a relief but the situation is still terrible.
Looking forward to tomorrow and my day trip on the canal with Uncle Bob and Paulette and Steve and June. It's a repeat of a treat I gave them ten years ago and celebrates Bob's retirement from full time teaching at St Louis. I love them all and it will be a good day lubricated by plenty of tea, champagne and G&T! I have ordered 5 pies, five Scotch eggs and five cream trifles. There will also be cakes and ale.... Bugger the diet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The resurfacing works have started on Park Street this morning, a much better start than the last time they said they were going to do it :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 05:35 Looking forward to tomorrow and my day trip on the canal with Uncle Bob and Paulette and Steve and June. It's a repeat of a treat I gave them ten years ago and celebrates Bob's retirement from full time teaching at St Louis. I love them all and it will be a good day lubricated by plenty of tea, champagne and G&T! I have ordered 5 pies, five Scotch eggs and five cream trifles. There will also be cakes and ale.... Bugger the diet!
I'm rarely envious of others, but I'll make an exception here. :smile: Not the canal trip - I did that once from Skipton, and found it really boring - all too slow for me. No - it's the company and the food, that I envy. That's really all you need in life. Give my best wishes, and regards to Uncle Bob.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll pass your good wishes on David. Kath delivered the pies etc this morning still warm from the oven. They are in the fridge....
I have had mail from Janet. She thanks you all for your interest. They are moved in and settling down and she said how much she's enjoying the access to the shops and the town. They only just got an internet connection yesterday. I have an idea it won't be long before our playmate is back with us!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The good report from Taunton.
Trump tweeting that the time for talks with N Korea has run out and his Secretary of State saying that there was always time for talks. In normal times this would be global headline news, a President arguing with his foreign service. These days it is par for the course!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The exam cheating scandal in our leading Public Schools.
The cynical attitude of the betting industry in allowing compulsive gamblers who asked to be barred access to the Bingo section of their operations. The gamblers took full advantage and lost millions. There is also the matter of the Fixed Odds gambling machines in the betting shops which will take bets of £100 a time, the companies are fighting having to cap the bets. Profit is king and bugger the customers. I thank God that gambling was never a vice of mine....... This industry grows exponentially and the government collude because of the tax revenue.....
I see in the paper that Barlick Council Office is to close as the cuts bite ever harder. There will be many people disadvantaged by the closure, not everyone is computer literate or has a bank account. A regrettable step.... What's next on the list?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How dirty the tops of the units in the kitchen get! I bottomed the ones over the cooker and the top of the fridge yesterday. Thought of you Maz.... Spring Cleaning in Autumn.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Large crane erecting an enormous letter 'M' on the top of a girder pole which must be at least 25 ft high. This is of course Mc Donald's fast food sign. What an eye sore. What Pendle Council were thinking about letting such a monstrosity pollute our view is beyond imagination. Its not often I use these but in exceptional circumstances. :fluch: :furious3: :guilty:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

P. Thank your lucky stars it's only 25ft high! I agree with you..... money talks!
I fancy getting a gear pitch gauge for the shed. You wouldn't believe how thin they are on the ground and how expensive a new one is!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Breaking news about the H bomb test in Korea isn't going to calm things down. It's not going to end well for anyone.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I believe it blew up in situ...prior to launch.
To save face, they are declaring it "a great success".
Hope it burnt a few fingers...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you'll find that was the ICBM launch Maz, the bomb went off OK as planned. As Kev says, it's a worry.
The fact it took me seven and a half hours to do a partial wash yesterday. I couldn't get any further than wash and spin after all that so I called it a day and unloaded the washer on to the clothes rack. I shall give the whole lot a quick wash and rinses when the new machine comes on Wednesday.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The news yesterday showed footage from China of the earth tremors felt 60 miles away from the underground test site in North Korea. Meanwhile the response from Trump the Commander in Chief is that he is prepared to use nuclear weapons. That's very helpful for the situation. :sad:
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge are expecting their 3rd child.
Say only a little but say it well.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”