WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Post by Stanley »

That's my problem about eating out Maz. You can never be absolutely sure what you are eating unless it's something dead simple like fish and chips!
I had exactly the same yesterday as the day before but with one change. I got a lovely big head of Broccoli at Chaudrey's when I want to top up the apples. I cooked it and added it to the stew and it was beautiful, cooked just enough to soften the stalks and it was like eating butter! So nice, cheap and good for you!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
BillHowcroft
Donor

Post by BillHowcroft »

Dealing with the current glut of tomatoes & runner bean by eating a blanched bean & tomato salad with an oil & vinegar & Worcester sauce dressing.
Wish I could get the tomatoes to redden in June.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Always have a bowl on a sunny window cill with some onions in it Bill. You can put green tomatoes in there with the onions and they will quickly ripen. It's the ethylene gas off the onions that pulls the trigger.
I had the last of the beef and veggies X two for dinner and tea. Today is Butcher's Day and treats.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

BillHowcroft
Donor

Post by BillHowcroft »

That's a new one. I've always used bananas as a source of ripening gas.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I like to keep Tomatoes in a pretty glass dish on the kitchen bench but not in direct sunshine. Mostly, the reason is because I prefer the flavour of room temperature tomatoes than refrigerated ones...though... :laugh5: ...our Summer temperatures generally mean we need to refrigerate them or have them rot I still like to consume them at room temperature, so take them out about 30 mins before dinner and add them to a cold salad before serving.
We don't have to wait for reddening here. In Summer they can ripen in the car on the way home from the Supermarket!
We have cooler bags to bring our groceries the 10 min trip home.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

BillHowcroft wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 20:42 Dealing with the current glut of tomatoes & runner bean by eating a blanched bean & tomato salad with an oil & vinegar & Worcester sauce dressing.
Wish I could get the tomatoes to redden in June.
Runner bean chutney is very tasty!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bananas work as well but I don't eat them these days.
Kath gave me a tongue and salad butty left over from yesterday, I enjoyed it as a change. I had steak pudding and peas for tea with stewed plums and cream for afters because Kath gave me an out of date 5oz cream as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I bought Broccoli and sprouts yesterday and cooked them adding butter afterwards. Lovely! I had a bowlful reinforced by a Scotch Egg for dinner. For tea I had half a small spit-roasted chicken and two sausages followed by the remainder of the stewed plums and cream. (I can eat cold sprouts in butter like toffees!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Meat pie plus a sausage with Broccoli and sprouts for dinner and same for tea but with a Scotch Egg. I roasted a bunch of mutton chops in cider on free leccy and harvested the gravy so I only need to go veggie shopping and I am ready to build a new stew in the slow cooker.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I cooked Broccoli, carrots, spuds and sprouts and used the gravy I saved from the chops. After putting the spuds and some carrots in the slow cooker I needed some more liquid and remembered the unopened can of strong lager I found in Butts a few weeks ago. I put that in and a bit later tasted the gravy. It was awful! Bitter and not like my usual at all. I had a meat pie for dinner with sprouts, Broccoli and carrots. At teatime I had veggies plus some of the new stew that was gradually coming to. The gravy had altered completely under the slow cooking and is OK. No afters, I just kept eating sprigs of Broccoli and sprouts like toffees!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The new stew has further improved and is lovely. I had it for dinner and tea and followed with cheese and oatcakes and an apple. Dead easy and good grub!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had mutton and veggie stew for dinner. I had to shop for milk yesterday and on my way round noticed two cheese topped plain teacakes reduced to half price so I grabbed them. I fried some good ripe English tomatoes and three eggs at teatime and had two butties for tea. I know I am avoiding carbs but see nothing wrong in occasionally having a bit of bread if I fancy it. I really enjoyed the change and one of my beliefs is that food you enjoy does you most good! A small piece of chocolate and an apple for pudding.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Home made Veg Soup...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You can't beat home-cooked Maz! I extended what was left of the shin beef and veggies with some peas and had enough for dinner and tea to finish it off. Cheese and biscuits for afters and my first Cox Apple of the year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A visiting friend took us up to the Black Lane Ends for lunch. I had a tasty burger topped with bacon & cheese plus extra salad instead of chips and a bun.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'd have fallen for the bun I think..... But then I am a weaker vessel than you.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

After 18 months of low carbing I get no pleasure from eating bread or chips any more, everything else tastes so much better without them! I have a couple of crispbreads or oat cakes at lunchtime but only because I need something to pile butter and cheese on! :extrawink:
Talking of cheese, Col has discovered that eating a couple of ounces of cheese before bedtime helps to keep his blood glucose stable through the night. He has struggled with high fasting bg readings in a morning, but by wearing a sensor that gives continuous readings he realised he was going really low in the early hours causing his liver to pump out glucose ready for him to wake up ready for fight or flight :laugh5: . The slow release of glucose from the protein in cheese helps to prevent that it seems.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's interesting..... It looks as though my cheese and oatcakes as the last thing I eat before my overnight fast until 10AM the following morning is a good policy. As for bread, I think it's the different texture and the fact it is a good vehicle for things like fried tomatoes and eggs that can't sit on oatcakes. I am certainly not as sensitive to carbs as Col and it seems to suit me. The main thing about the changes in my diet after following your lead is that I eat far less bread and haven't touched pasta or rice at all and going on how I feel I have it somewhere near right. I see improvements in so many areas and of late, and it has been a slow burn, I am seeing a definite permanent change in the quality of my breathing which was definitely below par after my grinding dust episode. I was never in trouble or wheezing but could definitely see a bad effect. I am clear as a bell now!
Yesterday I went veggie shopping and cooked carrots and cauliflower so dinner was a Scotch Egg with mushy peas and veggies, tea was the same but with a small pork pie. Seriously Strong mature cheddar on oatcakes for afters with one Cox apple. If the present quality of the Cox's is anything to go by we are in for a good season!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Scotch egg peas and veggies for dinner. Two Cumberland sausages with veggies for tea and my cheese for afters.
This morning is free leccy and so washing and cooking! I have 2lbs of steak and kidney and some onions and bacon bits that will get cooked down in beer. They will be the base for a stew and apart from the carrots and cauli I already have to hand, I have small spuds, broccoli and sprouts to cook as reinforcements. This won't be fit to use before tea-time but I have a pie in reserve so dinner is catered for!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Meat pie, beef gravy and sprouts for dinner, Beef stew and veggies for tea. No afters... it's very filling! It's one of my good ones I think and will improve as it ages.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Crumbed Chicken Strips (shallow fried) served on a base of Steamed Rice and Veg with Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce (low sugar)...a camp style meal in our motor home, but it worked out very well.
Lasagne (pre-cooked at home) with Veg tomorrow night.
Our meals are working out very well. I can store a whole week of meals in the motor home freezer. I make a list and take certain things out each day. They defrost as we drive along, sight-seeing.
Could get very used to this life...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Beef and veggies X 2 for dinner and tea. No afters. The russets have arrived and the Cox's are lovely.... This is very tempting for an apple lover like me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I had Greek sausages last night and it will be my favourite Lamb Kleftiko tonight. :biggrin2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Beef and veggies again X two. I forgot to mention strawberries and cream the last two nights for pudding.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I extended the beef and veggies with frozen peas giving me two bowls full. So stew for dinner and tea with no cheese for afters but I cracked and had two apples!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”