GOOD TV

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GOOD TV

Post by Stanley »

There was a report in Private Eye a while ago that Tim had 'fallen out' with the producers and that's why different presenters were used.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Must say that W1A seems to have gone past its 'use by' date. What used to be a funny perceptive satire is now just a babble. Clever high speed acting though.

I've had bad luck over the weekend. My 32 inch Technika (Tesco own brand) has died (refuses to come out of standby mode), and the bed room one which I moved to replace it,has also died (picture just disappeared). I'm now existing on my 3rd TV which is about the same size as a laptop monitor screen. It's surprising what you can quickly get used to. :smile:

I'm not complaining though - I've had both for about ten years, and a quick look says that I can replace the 32 inch with a better 'Smart' TV for less than I paid for the broken one, ten years ago. Interesting that the thought of repairing it doesn't figure in the solution.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Go for it David. So many more options with access to internet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's not often I am physically revolted by a TV programme but last night I started watching the programme on fire safety on BBC1 and it soon concentrated on bad standards in homes as a contributory cause of fire. When it got to the hoarder's house with one room over six feet deep in empty cider cans and containers of human excrement I reached my limit and had to go looking for entertainment elsewhere. I know that conditions like this exist and have to be dealt with and it's good that we are reminded of this occasionally but I'm afraid this was too much for me. Not what ypou'd call entertainment......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

No, not entertainment but a program that needed making, plenty of other stuff if you want.

I am slightly hooked on Ambulance which highlights the service and the pressures it operates under. The overall feeling I get from watching it which is a roller coaster between happy and sad that the paramedics deal with everyday is that there is immense pride in what they do day in day out under extremely difficult circumstances under austerity.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's exactly how our caring government gets away with underfunding but in the end they burn out or leave....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Indulge me on this one folks - surely off every topic there's ever been. :smile:

There's a guy called Simon Reeve on TV now travelling in Russia. He is in a place called Tuva.

A while ago I looked it up, because I remembered having some stamps from a place called Tannu Tuva during my brief childhood stamp collecting phase. At the time I had no idea where it was, I just remembered them as big, colourful, and odd shapes. Pleased to say that my memory for odd things remains intact Tuva stamps

I later discovered Tuvan throat music which I quite like. I've got this chap on my phone . The horses look well.Tuvan throat music

The reality is not quite so poetic. The towns are a shambles with no 'infrastucture' , no healthcare, and catastrophically high alcoholism. I think they would quite happily settle for a life of what is defined as 'poverty' here.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree, I watched some of them and the phrase "Living on the margin" came to mind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I watched two very good programmes on BBC2 last night. The third programme about the changes in the world of work and industrial management triggered by advancing technology, particularly Big Data and Artificial Intelligence. Chilling stuff! Particularly the McKinsey take on it and the complete absence of any consideration of the workers and the effects on them.
The second was the continuing story of the detectives and three murder investigations in Manchester. Riveting stuff that cast a light on to a world that most of us know so little about, the underworld of the homeless and under-resourced sufferers from mental disability. Not pleasant watching but very instructive and it left me thinking that I have led a charmed life.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I watched both as well. I think your 'charmed life' was due perhaps to when and where, you were born. Too many thoughts rattling round to write down. Better saved for a conversation. :smile: Just to mention that I doubt there were many recreational drugs in Stockport at the time. Leaving aside Robinson's products of course. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And the famous Influenza powders that were later found to be very dangerous!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Daniel Meadows on BBC's Inside Out tonight catching up on the photography that he did in Moss Side in the 1970's. Revisiting some of the subjects that he featured then.

You should be able to get it on catch up if you missed it
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's a piece that the BBC published on it. LINK
You can see the actual TX on catch-up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

They say the BBC's listening figures are declining. I'm not surprised. They seem obsessed with various issues. The Today programme this morning - the 8.10 am slot is said to be the one which sets the day's political agenda . An item shortly after that slot was about 'grime music' said to be black music from E. London housing estates. How can that be 'news' - surely should have been a separate feature programme? I switched back to Nick Ferrari on LBC. :smile:

Last night's heavily trailed latest Attenborough nature offering was, of course, superb quality filming, but majored on 'transgendered fish'. As Charlie Brown might say - good grief.
Blue Planet

The programme reminded me of a similar offering - a film called 'The Sea Around Us' which I remember from childhood. Google as usual provided the answers, and I find it was from the 1950's and based on a book by one Rachel Carson published in 1951. She seems to have been ahead of her time on climate change matters, and a quick look reveals that she predicted melting glaciers and icebergs with 100 foot increase in sea levels - wiping out many coastal cities.

Well - that was 66 years ago, and I don't think it has happened yet. Does anyone know how much sea levels have risen in that period? I find the book is available for free - so I've copied it to my Kindle. Should be interesting.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 30 Oct 2017, 11:34 She seems to have been ahead of her time on climate change matters, and a quick look reveals that she predicted melting glaciers and icebergs with 100 foot increase in sea levels - wiping out many coastal cities. Well - that was 66 years ago, and I don't think it has happened yet. Does anyone know how much sea levels have risen in that period?
Not much judging by this graph! LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

10" is quite a lot in a place like the Maldives.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I watched Jacques Pereti's programme on the Super rich last night and he was spot on, drawing attention to the fact that the Credit Crunch and ensuing Austerity have been a windfall for the super-rich. He had Thomas Piketty in interview and all in all it was an excellent overview of what is actually happening in the economy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

First part of a two part Panorama report, Britains Offshore Secrets based on the leaked Paradise Files has just been on BBC1 at 6pm. Investigations into leaked financial data file from one of the biggest offshore banking and investment businesses based on Bermuda. Lot about Lord Ashcroft and his continuing tax avoidance, money in football and the Dutchy of Lancaster offshore investments made on behalf of HM Queen Elizabeth, mix in Donald trumps saviour from the 1970's now one of his right hand men and few Russian Oligarchs and you have a good reporting program. Part 2 is on tomorrow on BBC1 at 9pm.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Private Eye reported it in the last edition and I watched the programme too Ian. As many of you know I have been forecasting the unveiling of the Noble Lord's secrets for a long time..... Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

From the 'Inside Soap Awards' -

More recently, viewers watched on as Moira gave birth - with the identity of her child's father later revealed to be her ex-husband Cain. She unexpectedly went into labour during a showdown with Emma Barton while trapped in a barn fire.

Like you do. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Look at what I am missing.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A new series of The Detectorists starts tonight. BBC 4 at 10 pm. :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

They kept that quiet. . . and tucked away on BBC 4. Sneaky :smile:

I think I'm into it now. I looked in vain in the credits for the name of the singers who sang the ""haunting pastoral soundtrack". I guessed it was the Unthank Sisters and the miracle that is google found me this review. Seems it was.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I tried but I never got into it. I can happily sit watching machining videos on Youtube all night. Amazing what you learn....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It was too late for me so it's been recorded. Love the Unthanks too, so really looking forward to watching it.

Return to “TV”