Favourite Walks and Rambles

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Favourite Walks and Rambles

Post by PanBiker »

Reference for the broken stile on our last walk:

Thank you for submitting this fault report.

A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided with a copy of the details you reported.

Your reference number is 219711

You can check the status of this fault anytime by going to http://new.lancashire.gov.uk/roads-park ... earch.aspx and clicking the Enter reference number button.

To submit another fault report, choose from the options below:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Went on a Weets circular today as a benchmark for my physio. We went straight up Folly Lane to the top then round by Duckpond and over the moor on to Weets Side and then up to the trig. Five minutes enjoying the view then back down via the ridge and the old Bronze Age track. It was a lovely day and we only needed a base layer and a light fleece. A bit of a breeze on the top but very pleasant nevertheless, lots of sunshine.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This should interest Panbiker...
`Explore Great Britain with OS’s ultimate adventure planning tool' LINK
Fresh from being named the UK Outdoor Industry’s Digital Product of the Year, OS Maps has become even better with the inclusion of an immersive 3D view of Great Britain in HD. (03 April 2017)
Subscribers to OS Maps will be able to start using Aerial 3D right away, but if you’d like to explore Great Britain in Aerial 3D, you can do so with a no-commitment 7-day free trial of OS Maps: www.getoutside.co.uk/3d.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Interesting link Tiz thanks for posting.

It would have been criminal today not to have gone for a walk, we set off after a bit of dinner. Taking one of our normal escape routes we went up Moorgate and then Folly Lane to just below Standridge, into the field over to Lower Standridge, over Gillians beck and out onto Lane Bottom. We passed one of our housing mistakes in the shape of Quarry House and the other cluster of developed properties at the head of the lane. We could have bought the entire site for £28,000 30 years ago but didn't. Onward past our mistake and out onto the moor, we exited half way up and crossed over to Lister Well. Up onto the top of the bridle path and then leftover the moor again and out into the pasture again to hit the green lane above Copy Nook. We descended to Lane Head and then went down Salterforth drag to the newly reopened Anchor where it would have been rude not to stop for refreshment. A pint of Jennings Golden whatever ale apiece went down very well. We returned along the canal as far as the marina and then back home via Kelbrook Road. A nice walk, just over 5 miles, warm in the wall to wall sunshine but with as slight chill in the odd bit of breeze, T shirt and light layer one fleece only required. Just less than 600 ft of climb in I hour 47min, 1h 22min of actual walking.

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I always read these accounts Ian and would love to be able to do it. As a matter of fact I think I could but as you get older you get less adventurous (at least I do!) and I always have it in the back of my mind that one of my knees might let me down on top of Weets! Keep posting them, I am with you in spirit.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A while since I have posted in here with Jacks kitchen and my exams stuff getting in the way. Today was an ideal opportunity for a once round on the hill. I took Sally and her friend Linda on to Skipton today to get the train to Leeds to visit a friend who is in hospital. I dropped them off about 10.30 and expect them back mid afternoon. Just enough time for a circular on the hill.
Simple loop, straight up Folly Lane to Standridge and up the ridge to the cairn then trig point. I had 5 minutes on the top for a drink and a couple of biscuits and then made my way back down across the heather moor and down to Duckpond Farm. I rejoined Folly at the top to return back into town. 4.4 miles in 1h 46m, too warm to break any records today.
Needed the shower when I got back, very close, I was wet through. Time enough to pick Sally and Linda up and still leave time to make some dough for home made pizza. Our Jack is coming for tea. :smile:

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not the best weather for walking Ian......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

No but it was good to get out, certainly not a day for rushing. Fist time we did the three peaks we did it on a day like yesterday, big mistake, physically impossible to carry enough liquid to get you round comfortably. This is the reason that the Hill Inn captivates so many three peakers, it's oh so easy to caffle at 18 or 19 miles in. We got round OK with time to spare to join the club but It was not easy, late September would be preferable.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Caffle'? That's a new word for me Ian.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stuff to do this morning so we didn't get out until after lunch. We decided to do a lower fields and pasture walk so we went out by the stables and into the fields. Up to Cow Pasture and then through the stock trap and up onto Hollins Lane. We crossed over and up around the humps and ollers (Humpty Dumpty's) and out onto Dark Hill. The wet stile with the new duck boarding just below where Dark Hil Well rises was as dry as I have seen it for a long time, even the top side was firm under foot. Up the sheep track and out onto Edge Lane and down, over the beck and out onto Esp Lane to take a shot of Moor Close for Cathy, Back into the field and down to the Springs Farm cluster, over the stile and down the side of the beck (I live in hopes of seeing trout back in the beck, used to be one of my favourite tickling stretches when I was a lad) to rejoin Hollins Lane. Left up and over the hill and back down to the bottom of Dark Hill to return via the buttercup field and out onto Calf Hall Lane, home via the Parrock.

Just over 3 miles in 58 minutes, overcast with occasional sunshine breaking through the cloud a very slight breeze.

Sun got out properly just as we got back.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We went for a little afternoon walk yesterday, just round the fields and pastures. Out of town via the stables to the fields below then up to Cow Pasture, a repeat of the beginning of our last walk. Up through the stock trap which was showing its last use as shearing base for the now naked sheep that we had passed on the way up. Out onto Hollins Lane and onward up to the house, through the yard and round the front, back into the fields to pick up the bridle path down towards Raygill. We turned off to the right at the bottom of the hill and came through the two fields below Hollins back to the old orchard below Cow Pasture. Both fields had been mown but you could tell which one had been first, the second over the hill at the side of New Farm was already well on the way for a second cut. We retraced our steps over the beck and back down via the stables, Valley Gardens and home. 2.7 miles, 56 minutes, pleasant loop on a lovely day with full sunshine and a nice bit of breeze from time to time, shorts and T shirt only.

I think we will do a route over and around Weets today.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Had a bit of lunch then we set off on our Weets circular, same route as the last time I did it about 10 days ago. It was very warm but with a nice breeze. Shorts, T shirt and trainers only today. Didn't even take our small rucksack for the water and other bits. Sally carried hers and I just took my bum bag for my water and stuff. Straight up the ridge to the trig, the usual wet bits were slightly wetter than the last time due to the overnight rain we have had a few days ago. Likewise the top up to the cairn and on to the trig had a few claggy bits. We were contemplating coming down Gisburn Old Track onto Brogden and returning via Jack House but that would have pushed the walk up to about 7 miles and would not have done in trainers. We came over the moor which was surprisingly dry and over to Duckpond. The breeze had gone traversing the moor and down the other side of the hill so I had to get my T shirt off for a bit it was so warm. Plan B return was to come off Folly at Higher View and over the heather moor to Lane Bottoms, but we could see that this was definitely claggy over the top tributary of Gillians beck so we just returned straight back down the lane. 4.4 miles 1h 50min, average 2.4mph, plenty fast enough for the conditions, odd wisps in the sky but otherwise wall to wall sunshine, a breeze on one side of the hill and very warm.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sally had me take all the furniture off the front door today and sand it so that she could repaint. That was this morning, consequently we couldn't walk together today as the front door is wide open and drying it's first coat. Sally took her friends dog out for an hour after lunch and when she got back I just went for a quick 2.5 miles in the fields. Stables, Cow Pasture, buttercup field, Hollins Lane, Springs cluster then up the field onto Esp Lane and back home via Town Head. Very warm in the sun but a nice breeze out in the fields.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The EDLHS have a walk as part of the Pendle Walking Festival again this year. It's the same as last year's walk as not many people turned out in the pouring rain last time! I'm sure this year it will be a lovely day....
We meet at the Old Grammar School at 10.00am, have a look at the water mill site then head up onto the moor to the Bronze Age ring cairn. From there to the Roman fort at Elslack and back to Earby via the Roman Road, the railway line and Boothbridge Mill. Lots of history in 8 miles! The Festival has classified it as a "hard" walk this year, and you have to book through the Walking Festival's booking system.
http://www.visitpendle.com/whats-on/fes ... g-festival
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Unfortunately I will be on holiday Wendy, I will miss them all. :sad:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A nice Summers day so I went round Weets this afternoon. A bit of damp in the usual spots on the way up the ridge but the top was dry as a bone. I did the circular like the last time I reported and returned over the moor to Duckpond and back via Folly. The moor, which can get very claggy was also dry as a bone and easy to traverse. I took my little hand held radio with me and had a contact with my mate Ray who is based over in Winewall. Just a bit of a natter while I admired the view and took on a bit of water and a couple of biscuits. High cumulus clouds with visibility not quite out to the coast to the West or up to the Lakes, upper dales just disappearing into the haze. Plenty warm enough in the sun, lots of Painted Lady butterflies when coming over heather moor.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like a lovely walk Ian......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

With holidays and other commitments getting in the way we have not been out walking locally for a while. We set that right this afternoon with a short walk round the approaches to Weets. Just up Folly to Standridge then over the field to Lower Standridge, down to the footbridge over Gillians Beck and onward to Lane Bottoms. We were going to go up to Higher View over the heather moor but decided against as there was quite a lot of clag in the fields and the crossing of the beck higher up to get back out onto Folly would probably be a quagmire. We returned across the field and up to the bottom of Lister Well and then down onto Hodge Lane and back via King Hill and Kelbrook Road.

Not a long walk but pleasant if a little overcast, quite close though with a bit of breeze so only a light top required.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A quick walk out round the lanes and fields above the town. Up Esp Lane then down the field to Springs, followed the beck down to Hollins Lane then turned left and came down the path to Cow Pasture, the stock holding area here at the bottom of the path has been surfaced with small hard core which has got rid of all the clag that was prevalent before. We came down the field and then returned via the Stables and Valley Gardens. Cool in the setting sun but warm enough walking, 2.2 miles, 44 minutes. I could tell that I haven't been out for a while. :sad: :extrawink:

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good weather for it Ian.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We went down to the Esse Factory Cafe for our lunch and then went on a walk for Dan. Up Rainhall and over the field onto Gill Lane then down to see our Dan's plot aside the churchyard. We had bought a pot plant on our way down so we planted it up in front of his crematoria stone. We carried on out of the churchyard and down the field past Gill Hall Farm. Over the road and back into the fields above Rolls and down to the canal bank. We came back over the turnover bridge and then up past the locks and then down the field onto Greenberfield Lane, returning home via the path at Broad Ing up through Victory Park and home 4.5 miles in 2h 32m but that included our lunch stop. Very pleasant with the sun trying to get out.

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We picked our Jack up and went over to Carla's at Silsden after a bit of lunch. We walked up onto the hillside on towards Keighley and through the wood. We returned through the old golf course and down onto the canal for the trek back into Silsden. Pork joint was in the oven so we stopped off for a drink in the Counting House which was a former bank and only a very short detour from our route home. :smile: A nice family walk followed by roast pork and trimmings dinner, we earned enough points for it so why not. 4.9 miles 2H 30min which included the brief stop at the pub, plenty warm enough for just a wind proof top.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Our afternoon walk yesterday took us out via the stables beyond Whitworth Way and out into the fields. Over the beck and then onto the path through the old orchard, passed the soak off pond and up through the trees. On over the hill running parallel to Brogden behind New House Farm, through to pick up the bridleway running up from Raygill. Once back up to the top of the hill and round Hollins we came out onto the lane. As we approached the old quarry I noticed a big dog Fox loping out from the undergrowth. He came out onto the lane and we could see that he was in very good condition, he didn't linger very long once he had seen us or more likely picked up our scent, he was off down the lane and out of sight before we had a chance to get the camera out. We have seen him in the lower fields before when on this route. The lower fields were quite wet with just a thin layer of the top soil frozen so we came down the path into the stock holding pen at Cow Pasture rather than through the buttercup field which gets pretty claggy at this time of the year. We returned via Calf Hall and the Parrock. 2.7 miles, 55 minutes, quite cold with a bit of a nithering breeze on higher bits but warm enough as long as you kept moving.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Today's walk took us out via Fernbank and over the fields to cross Brogden Lane by Aynhams Farm. Back into the fields and down to the single span stone bridge over Cloggers Beck. Straight on over the field which was well cow trodden so some deep holes just right for twisting an ankle if not careful. Up the slight incline then a right over the next stile down to Bracewell Lane. The waymark post is missing here so I will report it on the LCC site. I have always thought that there should be another stile at the other side of the road into the field it would be a lot better than having to walk the quarter mile each way to pick up the next field paths. One could exit at the farm in Bracewell and the other way would link to the bridle path at Carr Beck. It's not there though so we walked down the road into Bracewell village and then took the path down to Stock beck a the side of the old lane down to the ford. Over the beck an up the hill into Stock Village. Up the banking and over the stile into the field where the ancient village of Stock used to be. Down to the bridge and onward to Gilbeber. We skirted the lea of the hill behind Carr Beck as the path to Gilbeber from here is a bridleway and is well used by horses, lots of holes and can be quite claggy at this time of year. Onward for the stock moving bridge crossing the beck yet again. We can see in the field here that the beck has breached it's bank by about 5 meters with the flotsam left in the field. One more stile and field and we are at Broad Ing on Greenberfield Lane. We returned up the path and into Victory Park, Cornmill yard, Valley Gardens and home. Just a tad over 4 miles, soft underfoot and quite warm when walking, my base layer and light fleece were soaked when I got home, I had shed my beanie hat to stop overheating. I think I have put this route up before but I will repeat here for today's stats.

No exotic creatures like the fox from our last walk just a lot of serviced sheep, now ladies in waiting.

Ian

Return to “Favourite Walks”