TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

There was a bit of unexpected light rain on the wind at times yesterday but at 20:00 we had a cool light breeze, broken cloud and dry. This morning first thing we had very light rain just starting from broken cloud with a moderate breeze. I've just looked again and it is overcast I think, there's been a light shower but it's dry at the moment. The glass down at just under 1015mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day with the occasional glimpse of the sun. The wind is moderate and constant from the West but always tending to the north giving a high of 7C and a low of 0C with a wind chill of 3 to 4C all day. Tomorrow will be cooler but on Monday it looks as though the Atlantic systems will have won the battle with the cold weather to the north and it could be warmer and wetter.
06:30. Back from a reasonable walk. Dry, and the moderate cool breeze was chilling enough to make me glad I had the Crombie on, two thick shirts and my Damart vest! Warm as toast. I note from a notice on the tent in the Town Square that it's switch on time at Noon today.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A bit of drizzle at times yesterday and cloudy. Last night at 20:00 it was clear and dry with a cold WNW wind. This morning first thing it was calm, clear and dry and frost forming even then. We've had our walk and it is calm and clear with a sharp frost. The Xmas lights are on..... The glass is up slightly on 1017mb. The forecast is for a dry, cold, bright day. The light and variable wind is mainly southerly but strays into the north at times giving a high of 5C and a low of 2C with as one or two degree wind chill all day. The outlook is for the Atlantic systems to win the battle and the outlook is for milder, wetter weather for the week.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cold, bright and dry. At 20:00 it was overcast but dry and almost calm. It was still cold, what breeze there was coming from the NW. This morning first thing it was warmer, almost calm and raining gently. It is the same now but slightly more wind and I think that is from the west. The glass is down with a bump to 1005mb. The forecast is for a milder wet day. The wind is constant, moderate and mainly from the west. The high will be 11C and the low 10C. The wind chill varies between 2C and 4C. The outlook is for a couple of days of this weather, definitely a change, the Atlantic systems have won the battle!
06:00. A cold wet walk but luckily the rain and wind moderated as we went out. Still wet and cold.
I note that Indigo and Ivy are up and running in a very impressive refurb of what was the financial adviser's on Church Street. Very chic and no prices.... I don't think they are after the £4 tee shirt customers!
The Remembrance/ Xmas-switch-on tent has gone from the square and we now have a clear view of the lights in all their festive magnificence!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a classic cold, wet and gloomy November day. The roofs and flags never dried out and at 20:00 it was still drizzling. It was calm with light rain first thing this morning and two hours later it is exactly the same. The glass is down again at a shade over 1000mb. There is a low moving over us heading for the North Sea. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, rain all day on a constant moderate SW wind. The high is 11C and the low 10C with a wind chill of 3 to 4C all day. November..... don't you love it?
06:10. More wind out in the open, the back street is sheltered from the SW. So it has been a wet windy walk. My rain gauge in Butts gives clear evidence of the amount of rainfall over the last 36 hours, it is running solid, 6" deep, over the cill. It will be higher still tomorrow. So, a wet windy walk but not cold, it could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was, again, wet apart from one brief spell when the rain stopped around noon. At 20:00 it was raining again. First thing this morning it was the same and I have just looked outside, no change, overcast, calm and light rain. The glass is down at 987mb, the low is still with us. The forecast is lousy, yellow warnings of rain and strong winds. It will rain all day and could be heavy. The SW wind starts to rise around 08:00 and will become strong and gusty giving a high of 13C and a low of of 5C with a wind chill of 3 to 4C all day. Sorry, nothing cheerful about today's forecast. It was getting dark at 16:00 yesterday and could be earlier today. Definitely November!

06:05. We went out early and the rain and wind are still light.

A lousy pic of Butts Beck, the raindrops tricked the flash but I think you get the idea. The Shipping Forecast gave the game away, gales and storm force winds in all areas as the day wears on. I have little doubt that it's going to be bit Novemberish later on!

We've just had our late morning walk in a rising wind but it's mild and dry at the moment. Mind you there are some very threatening clouds out to the South and West.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mostly wet and windy yesterday with a dry spell midday but raining again at 20:00. Still raining first thing this morning and I have just stuck me head out, the rain has bated and we have a gusty wind, signs of the yard drying up. The Shipping Forecast is on as I write this and there are still gales up to Storm Force ten in all areas. The glass dropped to 972mb during the night but is now rising and just below 976mb, a very low reading. The forecast is for a showery day with some brighter intervals. The wind is west or SW, constant and strong all day. High of 6C and low of 1C but with a wind chill of up to 5C so it will never feel better than 1C and below all day. Looks like a chance of snow on high ground to me.....
06:20. We timed that nicely and had a dry but cold walk in a strong west wind that made me glad I had the Damart vest, two thick shirts and the Crombie on, I felt no pain! Jack is pleased it was dry and just as we got back home, light rain started to blow in on the wind. I still think that this could be snow weather later.....
11:00. We've had our later walk and that wind is bloody bitter! At the moment we have light rain but I still suspect it could change to snow....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We escaped the snow yesterday but despite the occasional sun it was a cold day with frequent rain on the wind. At 20:00 it was breezy, cold and raining. First thing this morning it was dry but there had been a recent shower, cold but not frosty. I've just looked out and the cloud seems to be breaking, it's calm and cold and there is a frost. The glass started to rise yesterday afternoon and this morning is up on 1000mb, a big rise. The forecast is for a dry bright day until this evening when there could be sleet showers and perhaps snow up at Wendy's. The moderate west wind will be constant and the high is 5C low 0C. There will be up to 4C wind chill and for most of the day it will feel like 0C or below. A colder but better day if you have to be outside!
06:45. A bracing walk down to the butcher's. Dry and the sky was clearing allowing the frost to get a grip, the pavements were clear as we walked down there but half an hour later as we came back ice crystals are forming so watch your footing! All right if you are wrapped up but that wind is rising and will be bitter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a cold bright day mainly but started to cloud over in late afternoon. At 20:00 we had light cold rain on what appeared to be a NW wind. This morning it was the same and the light rain/sleet was freezing on surfaces exposed to the wind. We've had our walk and this still holds rue, anything exposed to the wind, including pavements, is icing up and could get worse before dawn so be careful! The glass is up slightly on just below 1004mb. The forecast is for the rain to die out by 9AM and for a dry bright day after that. The moderate W/WNW wind is constant and the high is 4C and the low 0C. The wind will chill us to below freezing all day. The outlook is for similar weather with perhaps more rain on Monday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have a light covering of snow this morning.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Wendy said the magic word. Snow!
( why do I get such a thrill to hear that word?)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That doesn't surprise me Wendy. Glad you have the hay in the barn! I half expected some yesterday for you. The outlook is for little change.....
Maz, snow is OK on Xmas Cards!

Later..... I've just had occasion to go outside and the top of the yard wall is covered with black ice. Be careful out there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Wet and cold here but not freezing, it keeps trying to throw hailstones down but isn't succeeding very well. I think it is going to be one of those days when it never comes properly light.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It brightened up a bit briefly yesterday but on the whole it was a cold gloomy day. At 20:00 last night it was dry and clear but a bitter cold NW wind, this morning it's the same, no frost yet but I don't doubt that will come. The glass is rising and is on 1014mb. The forecast is for a slightly warmer day, dry until early afternoon when the moderate WNW wind starts to strengthen and becomes SW. This will bring increasing amounts of rain as the wind rises. The High is 5C and the low 4C, the wind chill will keep us below freezing until 14:00 and then it lessens with the warmer southerly wind. They don't mention it but this sort of day can often end in snow.
06:30. Just as we were going out there were a few spots of rain but that was it, they never came to anything. It's cold wind, more N than W and in places where the pavements are exposed, ice is forming and ijt's slippy underfoot. What really grabbed me, and I first saw it yesterday morning, is the worst job of pointing flags I have ever seen. It's at the end of Church Street on the corner with the main road. Apart from being indescribably badly applied it hasn't set and appears to be mainly sand! Whoever did it should never try it again.....
10:30. We've had our late morning walk and the forecast was not right about the bright spells! At least not so far! We had sleet and rain on the wind..... It's November isn't it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We still had cold rain at 20:00 last night. This morning first thing it was the same but perhaps slightly milder. By the time we went for our walk at 06:00 the rain had stopped and the wind, though brisk, is milder that yesterday. The glass is down to just below 1004mb. The forecast is for a showery day with perhaps the odd bright spell. The moderate wind is from the West at the moment but will start to move into NW at nightfall. That's the picture for today, falling temperatures from a high of 6C to 0C and the outlook bears this out.
I tested the lousy pointing on Church Street again. It's useless, just sand......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday, while slightly milder was largely wet and cold. At 20:00 last night it was the same picture, wet and cold with a moderate breeze. First thing this morning it was calm, much colder and the overcast was breaking. We have had our morning walk, still calm and dry and a frost developing under a clearer sky. Good job there isn't a wind! It would be an ear-biter! The glass is steady on 1003mb due to a large high pressure system to the SW which is blocking the Atlantic lows and allowing cold air to come down from the North. Just a reminder that it was a system like this that triggered the winter of 1963 when It was reinforced by another HP system in the East. The forecast is for a dry day with some sunny spells. The moderate NW wind will give us a 4C high and a 1C low with a severe wind chill of 4C later in the day. This cold weather is with us for the next two days at least.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The NW wind took over yesterday and at 20:00 it was clear, dry and cold. Clear all night and the same this morning with a frost, colder. The glass is up very slightly at 1006mb. The forecast is dead simple, A dry bright cold day. The constant moderate NW wind gives a high of 4C and a low of -2C with up to 4C wind chill. Wrap up warm!
06:05. Back in the warm after a bracing walk.... I see that the Jelly bean shop in Newtown appears to be being refurbished as another property shop.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was bright dry and cold. At 20:00 last night we had a NW breeze, clear sky, brilliant moon and it was very cold. Same this morning first thing and at the moment it might be slightly overcast but calm and a frost. The glass is up slightly at 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry, cold, bright day with good sun. The wind is constant light to moderate NW and will give a high of 1C and a low of -1C, the wind chill will make it feel like -5/-6C all day. The outlook is for it to warm up very slightly but it's still going to be cold.
06:30. Back from a very dry and cold walk. The sky is clear and when you are in the wind it is instant face-ache. My eyes watered all the way round. The grass on the Green is crunchy and the ground hard for the first time, a good indication of how cold it is. I'd guess it's south of -5C. It's so dry that there is no ice on the pavements.
11:00. We have had our late morning walk and it's bloody cold! It's bright but while we were on the green a lump of dark cloud passed over and a few snowflakes drifted down out of it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday stuck to the script. At 20:00 last night we had a moderate wind, interestingly more northerly than the forecast, and it was very cold. First thing this morning there was less wind but there had been a light fall of snow and we had a frost giving a frozen snow cover to any untreated surfaces. We've had our walk to the butcher's and whilst it is 'warmer' it is still ear-bitingly cold! The cloud is broken and on the way back there was light snow fall. One thing I noted is that the council appear to be being slightly more generous with the salt when they are spreading and in most cases some has ended up on the pavements so many footpaths are safer than they would have been. A sensible move! The glass is up yet again at a shade over 1018mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day. The wind is a constant light NW and later tonight tends to the west. The high is 4C and the low 0C with a wind chill that will never make it feel warmer than 1C. The outlook is for it to perhaps warm slightly for a couple of days but expect the colder weather to return. Tomorrow is a full moon and the shortest day is December 21st, just under three weeks away.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a cold dry sunny day with frost until midday. At 20:00 last night the light wind had moved into the west and it was dry and cold but not as cold as yesterday. First thing this morning it was overcast, calm, dry and no frost. We've had our walk and that too was dry at first but under the overcast sky towards the middle of our walk we got a very fine mizzle, but not what you'd call wet. The glass was rising yesterday and this morning has fallen back slightly to 1021mb. The forecast is for a dry but overcast day. The wind is a constant light westerly and the high will be 6C and low 5C with a 2C wind chill. Not exciting but good December weather and make the most of it, the cold will be coming back later next week!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I suppose the best description for yesterday is that it was November! Never totally dry, bright or anything but cold. At 20:00 it was overcast, dry and a light west wind. This morning it felt calm first thing and was overcast. It's the same now. The glass is steady on 1020mb. The forecast is for a slightly brighter day with perhaps a glimpse of the sun, dry all day. The constant mainly NW wind is light and the high will be 7C and the low 2C. There will be a wind chill of up to 3C all day so wrap up warm. No obvious change in the outlook but the forecasters say another colder spell will arrive later next week.
06:10. Back from a dry, calm, overcast and mild walk. It's as quiet as the grave out there. Only Mark the streetsweeper sharing the streets with me. This and better will do.....
07:00. Unannounced light mizzle.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The Beeb forecast shows a big clear sun for this morning but all I can see is thick, damp mist. I hope it clears up for the rise of yet another "super moon" this afternoon.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't see it close to the horizon Wendy but it's there this morning because the sky is clear and we have a white frost. It was clearing at 20:00 last night when Jack had his trot out. The glass is up again on 1025mb and the forecast is well adrift. It says we are clear at the moment but about 5C. I have news for them, it's a crisp white frost! They say the rest of the day will be bright overcast but mainly dry. It must be that divide between the East and West again. It is calm at the moment, they give a constant light west wind all day, a high of 8C and low of 5C. I have little confidence in them at the moment. I'll just wait and see!
06:00. Only one part of the forecast has come to pass as yet, we have a slight mist rising. We have had a calm, dry and very frosty walk under a brilliant moon in a largely clear sky but with some high thin cloud coming in slowly from the west. The untreated surfaces underfoot are developing an icy coating and I have half an idea the LCC have been caught out by the forecast, I see no signs that they have gritted. The grass on the Green is crunching underfoot. It's a sharp morning! Wrap up warm.
06:10. Just heard the general weather forecast and they too have completely missed out on the fact that we have a frost.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I didnt see it rising either, we were outside at dusk looking for a cockerel who had jumped the wall into our neighbours field and couldnt jump back. We spent ages trying to persuade him back but he was having none of it. We went back after getting the ponies in, hoping he might have settled a bit but he had disappeared completely. I went out again just after nine and the moon was very bright. I was surprised to find a crisp frost then, but it was beautiful out there and I stood leaning on the gate for ages looking at the stars and listening to owls calling. Still no cockerel though.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope the old lad has enough oil in his can to look after himself and get home!
It's still a sharp frost and no sign yet of it warming up. We appear to have fooled all the forecasters!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

He's a very young lad Stanley and we think he may have heard the neighbour's cockerel and gone over to make trouble! I was given a "pair" but the female made a late transition and I now have 2 males. One will have to go eventually! Thick mist again up here.

Return to “Seasons”