TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 03:49 The untreated surfaces underfoot are developing an icy coating and I have half an idea the LCC have been caught out by the forecast, I see no signs that they have gritted.
They were gritting last night as there are reports, over in Facebook land, of a gritter damaging cars on Cavendish st. Perhaps they abandoned the job early because of this...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday ignored the Met Office..... Apart from the frost, we had light mizzle on and off during the day. At 20:00 last night it was overcast and the west wind seemed stronger. Same this morning and we have very light rain in the wind but only very slight. The glass rose very slowly all day and night and gained 2mb. 1027mb this morning. The forecast is for a 'dry' day but heavily overcast, I suspect there will be rain on the wind all day. The wind is moderate and gusty at times. The high is 7C and the low 6C but with a 4 or 5C wind chill all day. Damp, gloomy and cold sums it up!
06:20. A pleasant walk under an overcast sky, light west wind and not as cold as yesterday. Always a hint of rain in the air but it stayed dry.... It will be going dark shortly after 15:00 today if something doesn't change......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a damp gloomy day mostly and it was going dark well before 16:00. At 20:00 it was barely dry, overcast and a moderate cold west wind. First thing this morning it was the same but has since developed a fine mizzle. The glass has fallen to 1020mb. The forecast is for it to be overcast but dry until this afternoon when rain will come in. I suspect this will translate into rain and mizzle on the wind this morning. The brisk SSW wind will be gusty, the high is 9C and the low 5C with a 3 to 4 degrees wind chill. This low is racing away to the east but will bring us stronger winds before it is spent. Coming in behind it is a high which is going to drag cold air down from the North towards the end of the week. The shipping forecast is giving northerly winds up to hurricane Force 12 in Northern waters already!
06:10. Not a lot to report. It's a brisk SW wind and for the early part of the walk was blowing mizzle/light drizzle in our faces. Sheltered in Butts and Valley Gardens but by then the rain had stopped. Not the most exciting walk ever!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The day deteriorated yesterday but never really got to proper rain, just damping all day. At 20:00 last night it was windier but mild and just about dry. The low has started to come in during the night. It is milder, more wind and raining this morning. The glass has fallen like a stone overnight to 994mb and is still falling. The forecast is for the rain to cease around 6AM, a bright overcast morning until around 15:00 when the cloud will increase and rain will come in getting round to snow perhaps later this evening. The problem is that as the large high comes in from the west as the low moves Eastwards the wind will start to swing into the WNW and bring very cold air down from the north. The wind will be brisk all day and this morning's 7C will fall to a low of -1C with a wind chill of up to 5C giving us very cold conditions and snow later this evening. This looks quite a firm forecast and there could be a fair accumulation of snow during the night. Good job Dennis and Sparky have a full larder!
The shipping forecast for the Northern waters is dire again, some Force 12 hurricane winds. This is the weather we could be getting later.
06:20. A very wet walk. Full wet weather gear and Jack had an early bath, first job was to give him a good rub down with a heavy towel. He is feeling no pain. We kept warm and dry but even so it's nice to be back in the dry warm house..... I think Jack feels the same!
10:00. We've just had our late morning walk. The glass is rising strongly and so is the wind. It's already in the NW and is much colder.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
The rain came in dead on time at 15:00 and by 1900 it was hard frozen rain turning to a light snowfall. This morning it's clear and we have about 3" lying on the ground. The glass is up on 1004mb. The forecast is for a dry clear day with plenty of sun but frozen snow on untreated surfaces. The moderate wind is a cold constant WNW giving a high of 0C and a low of -2C with a wind chill that will take us down to -7C for most of the day. Could be worse! Be careful out there and wrap up warm!
06:45. Glad to be safely back indoors after a very careful walk down the the butcher's and back. The partially thawed snow has frozen in the hard frost and even the roads are not fully clear, it's even freezing the salted slush. The forecast tells us that anywhere as far south as Birmingham could be subject to further snow which is coming in on the strong WNW wind. This could be very localised so keep your eyes open and be careful.
14:00. The yellow warning for snow has been extended to 18:00 on Saturday. Localised falls of up to 8" are possible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No more snow yesterday or during the night. The frost has been constant. It was a hard frost under a clear sky and calm first thing this morning and we've had our walk in exactly the same conditions, still very bad underfoot and demanding great care. The glass is up on 1010mb. The forecast is for it to be calm, bright, cold and dry until mid afternoon when there is a very good chance of snow for the rest of the day. The wind is mainly westerly or SW and will be light. The high is 1C and the low -2C with a wind chill of around 5C all day. At times this morning this will give us -6C. The outlook is cold! There could be snow tomorrow. No let up in the cold weather in sight.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Any snowy pics to help us through our forecast 38C on Wednesday?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm sure someone will oblige Maz. I'm back inside and it's around -5C so I'm not going out again until I have to!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just for you Maz. Dennis looking very dirty against the snow yesterday morning.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely! Never mind dirty! His ears are pricked and he looks alert, he's standing well. A happy lad if I am any judge.... (A credit to you Dear Lady!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh Wow!
Thankyou.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

This morning's walk round the fields with the rising Sun catching Pendle in the distance. I should take a camera, my phone doesnt take good pics.

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Gosh. So pretty! That landscape is....wow...pulls at the heart strings!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We are very lucky. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Even luckier now, it's just started snowing......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The snow never came, just a few sprinkles. This morning it is calm, overcast and feels slightly warmer. The glass has dropped like a stone in the night and is at 985mb. The forecast is for a dry day but with a warning of heavy localised snow at any time all day. It will be overcast most of the day but clearing as it gets dark tonight. The light to moderate wind boxes the compass during the day but is mainly form the north. The high is 0C and the low -5C and on top of that there will be a wind chill of up to 3C so very cold all day. Here's hoping we are lucky and miss the bands of snow as they come in! No real change in the outlook, continuing cold.
06:15. A cold, calm dry walk. Very slippy underfoot and I say calm but every now and then there is a gust of wind and I don't even think it knows which way it's blowing. One or two very fine flecks of snow in the wind but nothing of note.
The same can't be said of the barometer! Since early this morning it has dropped further to below 979mb and is still visibly falling. I can't remember when I last saw movement like this and it's not a good sign! Mind you I don't know what the results will be. On the whole I am glad we are back indoors in the warm!
06:50. I'm not going to keep popping back in but I couldn't resist reporting that the glass is still plunging, not falling. It's down at a shade below 978mb. Most unusual.....
07:30. I know but it's fascinating me. Down to 976mb now......
08:40. Just below 975mb.....
11:00. 972mb.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

A bit further South than the Pennines, but here's the view from my bedroom widow this morning.
snow10122017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

How magical does that look?

Hope you are all snug in your beds at night. Any predictions of it being a White Christmas?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No snow yesterday except for a light dusting. At 20:00 it was clearing, very light wind, hard frost and a good moon. Same this morning with a very hard frost. The glass held at 972mb and started rising very slowly at around 16:00, it's up to 978mb this morning, still very low. The forecast is dead simple, dry and clear all day with a constant light NW breeze. The high is 0C and the low -5C. We will get as low as -8C with the wind chill. At the moment it's about -7C.
06:15. It's an iron frost. Calm, clear sky and very dangerous underfoot where the snow and ice are still lying. Glad to be back inside. Jack had no problems, Fur coat, four wheel drive and plenty of bitch pee preserved by the cold for him to investigate!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The frost dominated the day but thankfully we had no snow. At 20:00 last night the sky was clear, there was a very light NW wind and it was bitterly cold. It was the same first thing this morning and I've just looked out, it's the same with a big brilliant crescent moon to the SE. The glass is up at 997mb, a very sharp rise. The forecast is for the day to be overcast, dry but bright until nightfall with some sun. From 17:00 onwards we can expect some rain during the evening which could start as snow. What is certain is that rain falling on frozen surfaces will almost certainly mean black ice so be aware! The wind will settle to a moderate SW breeze and the high will be 2C and the low 1C but with a significant wind chill all day keeping us well below 0C. The shipping forecast gives a similar picture as the extreme low passes giving way to an Atlantic system over the next few days as the higher pressure we are having now collapses.
06:10. Nice to be back in the warm! It's bitter out there. I'd guess at -7/-8C. Still very treacherous underfoot where there has been no treatment or the packed snow is lying as in Valley Gardens. I can tell you I have taken extreme care! That's about it, I am thankful that there is hardly any wind. If there had been it would be a real ear and nose biter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Laying my very warm hands on your shoulders as a cyber-hug.

( and they are not going any LOWER!) :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very welcome. The Met office have just said that last night was the coldest of the year including last winter. -13.5C in Shropshire, furthest from the sea of course.
One effect is that the lock on the back door has jammed in that I can't lock it. I suspect it's the cold so before I panic I shall wait and see if it improves!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 07:22 The Met office have just said that last night was the coldest of the year including last winter. -13.5C in Shropshire, furthest from the sea of course.
-5 up my end of town at 07:00, it's -3 at the office in Leeds according to the car. A slight improvement on yesterday as it dipped to -7 yesterday on the journey in. The cold certainly slows everyone down (there is the odd exception).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in on schedule at nightfall and at 20:00 it was still raining and a bit slippy underfoot but this morning first thing it was overcast, dry but a recent shower, much milder and the packed snow appears to have gone. It's the same now... The glass is down slightly at 990mb. The forecast is for a rainy day and this evening it could fall as snow. The constant moderate WSW wind will bring a high of 5C and a low of 0C but moderated by a wind chill of as much as 6C at times. So, a very cold wet day, wrap up warm!
05:40. We got out early because it had stopped raining. The cloud is breaking from the west and it kept dry. The wind is cold where you are exposed to it but otherwise it's a lot milder. All the packed snow and ice have gone, even in Valley Gardens where my mate Mark had spread salt. True, there's the occasional slippy patch so you still have to take care but on the whole it's much better and I have had much worse December walks!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”