TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

The end of the day was lighter and dry.... At 20:00 last night we had a blustery mild wind and a clear sky with a clear half moon. There is less wind this morning, it is dry and I think a light overcast. The glass has risen to 995mb. The forecast is for a dry bright morning and an overcast wet afternoon and early evening. The wind is a moderate SW until later tonight when it drops and backs into the west. The high is 5C and the low 1C. Not bad for late January!
05:40. We had an early walk. The wind is rising and it's a bit cooler than yesterday but not a bad walk at all for late January.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday's forecast was accurate. It came in very dark after dinner and we got heavy, continuous almost thundery rain. At 20:00 it was still raining lightly and the wind had dropped. First thing this morning it was damp but not raining and mild. It's the same now, calm and there has been a very light shower but essentially it is dry. The glass is up at 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of sun. The wind is a very light NW until midday when it swings into the west and then SW and increases slightly. The high is 5C and the low 2C. There will be a 2C wind chill all day and it will feel cold. The outlook is for a warmer spell for a couple of days.
06:45. Back after a pleasant and uneventful walk down to the butcher's. The sky is clearing, some stars are visible. It's almost calm, cooler but dry. I have had much worse early morning walks in late January!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a good clear day yesterday. At 20:00 it was breezy but dry and a little cooler. There was a good half moon shining through very then cloud. This morning it's chilly, dry, breezy and a clear sky full of stars. The glass is is up again at 1017mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with the chance of a shower any time until mid-afternoon. The wind is moderate to strong southerly all day. High of 10C and low of 6C with a 4 or 5C wind chill all day which will make it feel below freezing first thing.
05:05. We were out early as I am in front of myself this morning. Good call as rain is forecast, the sky is clouding over and at one point there was light rain on the wind. The wind is as cold as the forecast suggested, in fact on the paths in Valley Gardens and the flags in Town Square exposed to the wind there are the first signs of ice forming even though there is no general frost.
Listening to the weather forecast reminds me how sheltered we are in Barlick. Many gale warning and in Northern waters some are near to hurricane, force 12.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The showers started mid-morning and continued on and off until early evening. At 20:00 it was breezy with light rain. First thing this morning it was breezy and dry but with wet flags, it had rained during the night. By 05:45 when we went out for our usual walk it was breezy with fine rain, mild but very wetting! The glass is steady on 1017mb. The forecast is for a heavily overcast day with rain in the first part of the morning, then a dry spell until nightfall and then rain for the rest of the day. The wind is constant, moderate to strong SW and a high of 10C and a low o09f 5C with a constant wind chill of 4C so it will feel chilly. Listening to the general forecast there is a bit of hope that as we often tend to the Easterly forecast we might see some thinning of the overcast and perhaps a bit of sun this afternoon but don't hold your breath! The odds are for a gloomy wet day. The outlook is colder and dryer....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It brightened a bit yesterday afternoon but not much. At 20:00 it was breezy and light rain. This morning we have heavier rain and a brisk wind. The glass is down slightly at 1014mb. We've had our walk, full wet weather gear, a brisk wind and driving rain, the ground on the Green is sodden and Butts Beck is running strongly. The forecast is for rain until mid morning and then clearing up for the rest of the day with enough breaks in the cloud to allow some sun. The wind is constant, westerly and brisk. The high is 7C and the low 3C but with a 3 or 4C wind chill all day, it will feel below freezing in the wind later tonight.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It did brighten up in the afternoon yesterday but with occasional showers, at 20:00 it was breezy and dry. First thing this morning it was clear, dry and calm with an almost full moon, it's the same now but slightly more overcast. See THIS, it would appear that this is a very rare full moon, a 'Super Blue Blood Moon'. The glass is up at 1023mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day. The wind will be a constant moderate SW breeze with a high of 5C and a low of 2C. The wind chill will be about 4C all day making it feel very cold.
06:05. A dry pleasant walk under a partly clouded sky but with a very large, almost full, moon sinking towards the NW horizon.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

There is a programme on TV tomorrow night I think about this Super Moon.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall look for it Ian. No sign of it this morning as we have 100% overcast and heavy rain. The glass has crashed to a shade under 995mb. The forecast is nasty! Rain/sleet all day driven by a brisk cold west wind. The high is 3C and the low 1C with a 6C wind chill that will make it feel very cold all day. Deep Joy! Winter us back. The outlook is for a spell of much colder weather.
Dennis and Sparky will be better off in their stable today I think......
06:05. We're back from our walk. Before I went out I listened to the Shipping Forecast.... it gives a good overall picture and the main element this morning is warnings of up to severe gale Force 10 with wintry showers in all shipping areas except Biscay in the South. We were lucky, it was sleeting when we went out but this bated and we had a cold but almost dry walk. The ground is sodden, the puddles are full and Butts Beck is running a banker already. No sign of the Super-moon! The wind hasn't got up yet but it's cold and the gritting wagons are active.
One thing caught my attention, the Xmas lights in the trees on the Town Square are lit.....
Overall, it's winter again.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Dennis & Sparky will definitely be spending the day in their stables. They have had to stay in quite a bit recently, their field is mess.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 04:54 I shall look for it Ian.
If we get site of the super moon it will appear larger and brighter than normal and better on the horizon. It's a blue moon as it's the second full moon in the month but we will have no sight of redness that will be seen in the southern hemisphere. That is caused by a simultaneous eclipse trajectory that can only bee seen from the other side of the planet. Maybe Maz, Cathy and maybe China can give us a picture.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There were odd spells yesterday when, if the ground conditions had been better Dennis and Sparky could have had a trot out but on the whole it was cold and either wet or hard snow occasionally. At 20:00 it was cold, windy and dry with breaking cloud. First thing this morning it's breezy, clear and a brilliant moon high in the west. Earlier this morning it was like day outside! The glass is down slightly on 991mb. The forecast is for a dry bright overcast day with some sun early in the morning. The wind is a constant moderate WNW, high of 4C and low of 2C but with the 5C wind chill could give some icy surfaces if untreated. It's winter, wrap up warm!
06:05. Back in the warm. The shipping forecast this morning was wall to wall gale warnings except for three areas in the far SW. A frost has developed since early this morning, ice is forming on cars and untreated surfaces that were wet, the pavements are treacherous in parts. The wind is moderate and very cold, bites your ears! The sky is clear and the full moon was bright enough to make the usually dark inside walk up Valley Gardens easy, you could even read the lettering on the litter bins! It's winter but the cold is supportable when it's dry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 10:30
Stanley wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 04:54 I shall look for it Ian.
If we get site of the super moon it will appear larger and brighter than normal and better on the horizon. It's a blue moon as it's the second full moon in the month but we will have no sight of redness that will be seen in the southern hemisphere. That is caused by a simultaneous eclipse trajectory that can only bee seen from the other side of the planet. Maybe Maz, Cathy and maybe China can give us a picture.
Sorry, I couldn't be bothered going out into the cold to have a look but a friend in Nanning took pictures. He said there was a slight atmospheric haze which meant the pictures were not very clear but the moon was a red-orange colour and his wife was very excited. I shall be seeing him next Monday and he promised to show me the pictures so if I remember I'll post them.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It was a spectacular sight at 7:30 this morning. It followed me all the way to the M65 :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pic Wendy... It's quite spectacular this morning because it is backlighting the thick broken cloud we have coming in from the NE this morning. Last night it was breezy but dry at 20:00. It's the same this morning but perhaps a touch colder. The glass is up on a shade below 1005mb. The forecast is for a cold bright day with plenty of sun. According to the forecast the wind is a moderate to light westerly tending to the north but I've just been out and checked and it's definitely NE, perhaps it's a Yorkshire thing! The high will be 5C and the low -1C with a wind chill that can get up to 4C depending on wind strength. It's winter but it's quiet and dry......
We were back in the house by 06:40 after a pleasant walk down to the butcher's. When we set off the sky was clearing, a big almost full moon crystal bright in the sky and that wind was still a very cold NE despite what the forecast says. However, by the time we were on our way home the wind had dropped, perhaps a preliminary to changing direction to a point more in line with the forecast. It's cold but it's a good morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a nice bright cold day. At 20:00 last night it was dry with an almost clear sky and a cold west wind. This morning first thing it was raining steadily, I have just looked outside and its bated, just very light rain and hardly any wind. The glass is down slightly at 1000mb. The forecast is for it to be dry for the next couple of hours but then rain/snow at any time during the hours of daylight. The wind is never more than very light and swings all round the compass starting as WSW and ending as NE late tonight. It's cold, the high is 2C and the low 0C with a wind chill which will keep us at freezing or below all day. There is a warning of ice forming on untreated surfaces all day. Looks like winter again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's been snowing steadily here since about 7.30am and is starting to settle above 1000ft.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very light snow falling here Wendy..... Keep warm....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was not a nice day...... At 20:00 last night the cloud was breaking and it was breezy, still raining and cold. First thing this morning we had broken cloud, damp flags, calm and no rain. I've just looked out and sky is clear now with another brilliant moon. The glass is up at 1019mb. The forecast is for an overcast but mainly dry day. The wind is a constant very light northerly giving a high of 3C and a low of -3C with a wind chill of 2C. It's another winter's day but thankfully it should not be windy or wet. They are the killers!
06:25. Back from a bracing walk. As promised the wind is very light but the sky is still clear and it's colder that the forecast suggests. We have a sharp frost, ice on cars and pavements and even a hint of it forming on the treated road. But on the whole a healthy walk as long as you are wrapped up.
10:00. I was surprised when I took Jack out for his late morning walk to see that the Pioneer car park was white. Only a light covering but it looked wintry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a mix of everything from sun through snow and light rain. At 20:00 it was overcast, almost calm and just about dry. We've had our walk this morning already and it is dry, calm and overcast, the moon is totally hidden, not even moon glow through the cloud. Ice is starting to form on cars and untreated surfaces but I suspect the overcast is protecting us. The glass is still rising and is on 1026mb. The forecast is for a dry, bright day with some sun. The constant light wind starts in the NE but by the end of the day could be SE. The high is 1C and the low -3C with a 2C wind chill.
The BBC forecast this morning said it could be the coldest week of the winter but it soon became obvious that this was skewed by being SE centric as snow is falling in the South and East at the moment. Not clear but I reckon there is a chance that as the wind gets in the SE late tonight we might be liable for a light fall of snow. It's not in the forecast specifically but everything points that way. One thing is certain, tonight we shall have a hard frost.
10:20. We've just had our late morning walk. Light breeze, cold and the occasional snow flake falling just to remind us that anything is possible.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night at 20:00 it was cold, dry and overcast, almost calm. First thing this morning it was the same with the odd snowflake falling. The glass is down at 1015mb. The forecast is for an even colder overcast day with occasional light snow. The wind is constant and light starting in the SW but soon backing to NW all day. High of 1C and low of -4C with a rising wind chill of up to 5C. Bitter! Wrap up warmly!
06:05. A quiet walk on a cold, dry morning with a frost that is hardening the ground and icing any puddles over. The overcast is thick enough to completely hide the moon. All right if you are wrapped up warm!
11:00. We've had our second walk and it's snowing gently.... It's sticking and things are turning white....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It snowed lightly almost all day yesterday but there was no significant accumulation. At 20:00 we had a light very cold breeze, overcast, dry and bitter cold. This morning first thing we had a light breeze, clear sky with a brilliant half moon and a very hard frost. We've had our walk in these conditions and it's bracing! Ice forming wherever there is any moisture, even on the salted road but as everything was dry no slipping hazard. I am guessing but in the wind it feels like somewhere south of -5C. The glass is almost unchanged, steady on 1016mb. The forecast is for a clear bright dry day. The constant light west wind is giving a high of 1C and a low of -4C with a constant wind chill of at least 3C. The perceived temperature at the moment in the wind is -6C so I wasn't far out. It will never feel warmer than -3C all day. I suppose this is what the Mail and Express dubbed 'a killer frost'. The outlook is for it to stay cold..... so wrap up well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was col! End of! At 20:00 last night it was dry, calm, overcast and very cold. First thing this morning it was exactly the same. I've just looked outside and it's still the same but more wind. The glass is down slightly at 1009mb. The forecast is for an overcast day, dry for the next couple of hours and then wet for the rest of the day. There's a yellow warning for ice and snow late tonight. The wind is a constant moderate SW, high of 5C and low of 0C with a 5C wind chill all day. It looks as though an early walk is indicated!
05:40. A cold walk in a bitter wind. No ice on cars but puddles and grass are still frozen from yesterday. It was dry when we went out but by the time we were homeward bound light mizzle was blowing on the wind and freezing as soon as it hits the floor. There could be black ice until the rain gets heavy enough to wash the ice off. There are odd breaks in the cloud, I caught an occasional glimpse of the moon while I was in Butts. It was a good call getting out early, if the forecast is correct and more rain comes in it is going to be cold and miserable. Dress accordingly!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday developed into a November day, gloom, rain and wind. At 20:00 it was the same and first thing this morning also except less rain. Just looked out, less wind and more rain. Deep Joy!
The glass is down on 996mb. The forecast is for the rain/snow to cease this morning and the rest of the day will be dry, clearing to give some sun and a clear night. The wind will soon rise, back into the NW and remain there all day as a moderate breeze. High of 3C and a low of -1C. The wind chill in the NW wind will be around 5C and in consequence tonight we will have a frost. Tomorrow could be cold and wet.
06:45. Back from the butcher's and we were lucky. The rain stopped just before we went out so Jack stayed dry and I could wear my Crombie which was just the right attire for a morning when we have a cold NW wind making it feel well below zero. The forecast promises us a short spell of snow before the overcast breaks and it gets brighter. With luck we'll miss that.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was bright and sunny. At 20:00 last night it was cry, breezy and very cold. This morning it's the same with a sharp frost. The glass rose to 1010mb but has now dropped back to 1006mb. The forecast gives a day of rain starting at 7AM. The wind is in the SW and the high will be 3C and the low 0C. The wind chill starts at 5C and drops to 3C during the day. Looks like a cold wet day and better avoided!
05:55. Back in the warm and feeling better for it! The wind is bitter and I have little doubt that the -6C wind chill isn't an exaggeration, my eyes watered and nose ran all the way round. The rain must have washed the salt off the roads and whilst anywhere that's dry isn't slippy, the roads are icy, evidently the gritters haven't been out. Just the conditions to catch the Clarkson Tendency out.... Be careful if you're out on them early! I met a man in Butts drinking a can of beer as he walked through Butts. The mind boggles....
The Shipping Forecast this morning gives gale warnings for all areas except the far South, up to Storm 10 in some cases.....
06:30. It's snowing lightly and I have little doubt that some of this will be freezing as it hits the ground. Be careful!
By the way, I keep forgetting to mention that the daffodils are poking up on the Green and some already have flower buds on them..... A hopeful sign!
Later in the morning.... the snow turned to rain and it is now a cold, wet day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”