Any postcards published of Clarion Houses?

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Any postcards published of Clarion Houses?

Post by Tizer »

A few days ago I sent Panbiker the Trip Advisor link shown below because it had a lot of photos of his Clarion House. Having an interest in postcards, it prompted me also to look on the Web for postcards of that and other Clarion houses but I found very little. It surprises me because in the early 1900s postcard publishers would use photos of just about anything - I've even seen postcards of an empty field! In those days postcards were as common as emails are now and there was a great demand for them. The post was so frequent and fast that you could send a card in the morning inviting your friend to meet you for a drink that evening. Of course, postcards showing something interesting were in even greater demand and I would have expected Clarion houses to be a good subject, especially having the link to cycling and to politics. That leads me to ask, does anyone know of postcards (not simply photos) of any Clarion houses?

Clarion House
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Any postcards published of Clarion Houses?

Post by PanBiker »

I will ask around the rest of the committee and our historian Jack who may well know. There were over a thousand Clarion Houses, a lot linked to the CTC and quite a few run by the ILP around the country. Surprising as you say that they did not feature in postcards, cycling and rambling were the main way that those working in industry got out of the towns at weekend.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My thoughts were that if we find postcards were published related to the Clarion houses then I could suggest to Mark Wingham, editor and publisher of `Picture Postcard Magazine' that he could perhaps use it as a topic for one of his many articles. He used to be a journalist on local newspapers and likes writing the postcard articles, so he's usually keen to have suggestions for topics.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry, I can't help...... Never tripped over any.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Old Photographs”