TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

I wouldn't call it miserable Maz, I reserve that for cold rain on the wind. As long as you wrap up warm it's OK. The Met office have firmed their forecast up this morning. The high pressure system is holding firm and the winds out of the Arctic are going to strengthen with occasional snow showers coming into the Eastern side of the country starting tonight. The perceived temperature with wind chill could get to -20C in the East. The rest of us will get a proportionate blast. In addition they are saying that there is a large area of heavier snow moving towards us from Europe. On the whole a wintry forecast!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ok...so "quite" miserable then ( given that we open windows for balmy breezes and sleep with no covers). :laugh5:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Not miserable at all! Walking round the fields much easier, dry and mud free dogs, plus a bit of bright sunshine after weeks of rain and gloom...... :dance2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, it looks like a good day for a yomp over the moor and over Weets. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's a lovely day out but my ears are freezing, glad to be back indoors for a brew.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stiff breeze on the top, not for lingering very long. :biggrin2:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Golly...you lot will be in raptures when you get your first warm Spring breeze, or a decent sit in the garden in a warm puddle of sunshine. Glad to know you are all pretty cheery and not suffering too much from cold and gloom. Hang in there...Sunshine coming!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not yet though Maz.... It was sunny again yesterday but this morning it's overcast cold and very light fine snow. The glass is up again to just shy of 1029mb. The forecast is for a dull overcast day. The wind is light to moderate and a constant easterly. The high is 0C and the low -3C with a wind chill of up to 6C. The outlook is for the same but with more chance of snow for the next few days. It's winter....
06:20.

Not a pretty sight I know but an accurate reflection of how cold it is this morning. The light wind is bitter but it's dry, getting light early and the cloud is starting to break promising a sight of the sun. There is some very fine snow dusting down but I suspect that's just the moisture in the air condensing out due to the wind chill, it's south of -6C at the moment and the Green is hard as stone. But, on the whole a pleasant walk Maz! I've had much worse at this time of year. By the way, it's a full moon on Wednesday!
10:45. I've been out with Jack for some shopping and his late walk. The Damart balaclava is quite brilliant, ears and head as warm as toast. It's bitterly cold and whilst we have some patches of sun, when a cloud comes over we get a few odd flakes of snow. Nothing to shout about but a harbinger of what's to come I think. I'm glad I'm back indoors with plenty of milk and toilet rolls! (You're right, I'm a peculiar old bugger!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You don't need me to tell you how cold it was yesterday despite the sun. At 21:00 it was clear, a light breeze and very cold with a brilliant, almost full moon. This morning first thing it was clouded over and snowing lightly, needless to say it was sticking. I've just looked out and it is still snowing, over an inch of cover. The glass has fallen to a shade over 1022mb. The forecast is for snow at any time during the day. The moderate wind is NW at the moment but will soon back to NE and stay that direction for the rest of the day giving a high of -1C and a low of -7C with a massive wind chill, your guess how much is as good as mine. It's winter and there is no respite in prospect.
06:00. Back indoors in the warm after a good walk. The sky is overcast and leaden, the wind has dropped as it backs to the NE and the snowfall is constant but very light. The roads aren't completely clear even though they have been salted. Jack met one of his whippet mates and they had a wonderful run round in the snow in Valley Gardens. That wasn't too bad, let's see what the rest of the day brings.

The Pioneer car park at 05:30.

Town Square a bit later.

07:45. The snow is slightly heavier and is building up. The wind hasn't got up yet and when it does we shall; certainly get drifting. My mind goes to Wendy and Col up at Black Lane Ends.... Could be some good snow pictures from there later!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Our news has been reporting that England is experiencing very bad weather. Thinking of you all.
We had 35C today and 24C for Wednesday. It's a bit crazy here too.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I always miss the "later" additions to your posts Stanley. The snow is lovely but starting to drift now as the wind gets up. The road has been clear since early morning and I don't think there will be any problems getting up the track. Col has just announced that he is going out in the 4 wheel drive so we will soon find out. I put the ponies out this morning but the most recent snow has covered all the hay I gave them so we have just brought them back inside.
My worry with very cold weather is the water supply, not for us but for the animals...it has only frozen up once since we have lived here, so fingers crossed we will be ok.
Just one photo of Bertie, enjoying the snow on our morning walk. It makes him very playful, but his legs are weak and he falls over, but that's ok in the snow.

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

From our upstairs window.

P2270213.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I don't know why you remind me of Rod Stewart in that photo, Stanley, but it's the first thing I thought of ( could be the nose - no - it's the mouth. Looks like you are singing "Let it Snow"!)
That thought passed fairly rapidly and I had a good laugh.
And you lot still maintain things aren't miserable?
It looks pretty darn miserable to me! (Sat here in shorts and Tshirt with both front and back doors open, and a full line of washing drying happily in the sunshine)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 01:55 It looks pretty darn miserable to me!
Beautiful pictures, Plaques, but I agree with Maz, you can keep your cold weather. It's 25C and unusually warm here too.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not miserable Mz. Just cold and snowy. There's been some light snow during the night and of course it is still freezing hard. Glad you are coping Wendy.....
The glass is down slightly at 1016mb and the forecast is for snow at any time today on a constant moderate east wind. It is colder, high of -3 and low of -7 plus a wind chill of up to 8c. It will feel like -15C for much of the day. Tomorrow will be the same and there is no respite in sight. I think it's winter!
06:00. I curtailed our walk this morning because it is far more treacherous underfoot than yesterday as the packed trodden snow is deadly. We minced down to the Green and did a full circuit of it because it is safe walking. Jack is not deprived, he has had plenty of free running and met his whippet mate which always sets him up got the day! The weather.... it is colder than yesterday and thank god the wind hasn't got up yet because what little there is gave me face ache despite the balaclava. I think we can expect more snow today.
One cheerful aspect of the weather is that we are not getting the worst of it and tomorrow there is every prospect of a really severe snowfall in the South. On a cheerful note.... The worst blizzard of the Snow of 1947 didn't hit us until the 5th of March......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Send more pics... I think they are beautiful too....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you'll get more Maz!
We are seeing the first signs of the east wind at the moment and light snow. It's bitter out there! I topped up with milk, coffee and toilet rolls yesterday. I know what's essential! Jack and I will go for our later walk in three hours and then we will hibernate for the rest of the day!
I try not to go overboard about the weather but even I have to admit that this is severe and we should take it seriously.
Incidentally I mailed my mate Martha this morning, if you remember she and Roger have relocated to Somerset for their retirement. She has been used to Minnesota winters which are very severe and she must be looking on bemused as the country is catalysed by a relatively light covering of snow and moderately cold temperatures. To give you an idea, I once asked someone what sort of winter they had had in Northfield and the said not bad, the frost had only penetrated 42" into the ground.....

We've been out for our late walk and this is what it was like. Jack was soon a white Patterdale! As we got back the snow bated and the sun has come out but who knows for how long. We are gong to have dinner and hibernate......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Car abandoned for the next few days. Risk aversion they call it.
P2280214.JPG
Wintery scene in the back garden. Just when I'd got rid of all the leaves along came the snow.
P2280215.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sensible P. It's too cold for the salt to have any effect and now the snow is packed and icy.
We were lucky yesterday and had long clear sunny spells.
Fresh fall of snow during the night and bitter cold. Calm at the moment so the snow isn't blowing.
The glass is down to 1009mb. The forecast is for more snow on and off all day. The wind will be a constant stiff easterly when as gets up and the warmest we will get is -3C , at the moment it's -7C with 8C wind chill and that will continue all day. Deep joy..... March has come in like a lion and no sight as yet of the full moon.
06:00. Once again I limited our walk to a circuit of the Green where the footing is good. I am not going to risk a fall! Jack had 3/4 of a mile free running so he is feeling no pain! There has been about a 4" fall of snow during the night but the east wind is stronger this morning so the snow is blowing and beginning to form drifts. The forecast says that including the wind chill we are at about -15C and I won't argue with them, if you took your hand out of your pocket it was painfully cold immediately. The sky is dark and leaden, particularly to the east and this looks like more snow. Not a sign of the dawn. The main roads are well salted but the snow is not clearing and any further fall will overwhelm the salt. If you have to drive exercise extreme caution!
On the wider weather front, the wind from the east is stronger than ever but there is a competing storm system, Storm Emma, barrelling in from the Atlantic bringing with it an enormous patch of heavy snow which is going to hit the SW, Ireland and Wales later this morning.
So no respite in sight for at least 48 hours. I'm keeping safe and warm but I will be glad when we see the back of this! [I've just popped my head out and it's still only light snow....]
By the way, one thing I noted was that I didn't see a single bus on the roads and there are usually some about when we are walking. Have they been cancelled?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, it's started snowing again on the strong east wind.

What this pic doesn't show is the snow blowing across horizontally, the camera hasn't registered it. It's even worse as I write.... nasty weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:laugh5: so I was right. Weather is MISERABLE then!
Feeling for you all.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Even I admit that this is horrible! I can't take photos because of the whiteout conditions but field walls are disappearing under drifts!
I'm so anxious about the possibility of the water supply failing that I can't relax and get on with things. After I've had a cuppa I'm heading out into the barn to fill up a big tank so I know there is enough for the ponies for a few days.
I would fill up the bath to use for toilet flushing but Colin doesn't think the plug is effective enough to hold the water.
A bit of "Just in case" planning makes me feel better but irritates Colin!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here in Taunton we don't have as much snow as you but as from an hour ago we are placed on Red Alert due to blizzards and more snow on their way from the east. There's a Red Alert up your way too, by the look of the weather map. Time to snuggle down, have a brew and keep warm! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've filled my tank and any bucket I could find lying around so I'm prepared for anything now. :smile:
Just going to get the wood burner lit. Still can't see out but there is A heap of snow about 8ft high in my back garden.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I know things are serious, but I find it amazing that in a few short weeks, new things will burst forth from the landscape you are battling today. All those bulbs, flowers and grasses....all that lush stuff. Ain't nature wonderful?
(Not today, as you wear your thickest gloves, two pairs of socks and are possibly wearing last nights pyjamas under your many layers...but nature is still a miracle)
Hope the "boys" can keep warm, Wendy.

Return to “Seasons”