WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Post by Marilyn »

Is no-one else on this site interested in food? Does no-one appreciate what their partner cooks for them? Is it true that you are a nation that shoves frozen/pre-cooked rubbish in the oven and waits for the buzzer to ring? Or is it a trip to the Chippy EVERY night? (Shame!)
Roast Spuds, Roast Carrots, Roast Pumpkim...Cauliflower, Baby Peas,, Crumbed Chicken and Peppercorn Gravy tonight. All cooked from scratch. No pre-prepared anything.
Seriously...are Stanley and I the only ones who cook??????
I was a "working " Mum for many years...but I always cooked proper meals...
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I just don't see why anyone would be interested in what we eat!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I cook everything from fresh or eat out at restaurants, I don't like 'fast food' and I don't eat chips. Cooking and eating is just something I do, I have made comment on here about what I've had but don't consider my eating habits to be that interesting to anyone else...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

oK....fair enough....though there are very few topics I can relate to, as they are all political... :embarassed:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Marilyn wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 10:57 oK....fair enough....though there are very few topics I can relate to, as they are all political... :embarassed:
Very true, this is one of the few topics that stays free of politics, and I always check out what yourself & Stanley are eating so perhaps I should join in more often!
Last night I made a spicy kedgeree with cauliflower rice, smoked mackerel, hard boiled eggs etc. Colin excelled himself over the weekend by making a corned beef hash (using celeriac and cabbage in place of the potato) on Saturday and a chilli on Sunday with a big salad, guacamole and "fathead" nachos which are made from mozzarella cheese, almond flour and spices.
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-nachos/
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Wendyf wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 11:18 Very true, this is one of the few topics that stays free of politics
Sorry to disappoint but food is already knee deep in politics. Chlorinated chicken Link 1 and growth hormones in beef. Link 2. all part of the potential trade deal with our good friend Trump. Most of the 'crap' we eat is politically motivated.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I know, but can't we keep that in the " We are what we eat" topic??
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 10:57 oK....fair enough....though there are very few topics I can relate to, as they are all political... :embarassed:
Bit of a sweeping statement there Maz, although I will hold my hand up for the Getting On thread, but someone did ask. :laugh5:

Oh, and back on topic we cook the vast majority of our food from fresh, or from previous batches already cooked and in the freezer. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tonight's tea for me was a pork sausage number. Two pork sausages chopped up when cooked, one onion, half a tin of baked beans, one red rooster potato cubed, chilli flakes, half a tin of chopped tomatoes, pork stock cube, garden peas, mixed sliced peppers, all bubbled up in the frying pan. Half with a couple of slices of chia bread and a portion left for tomorrow dinner. :good:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Getting on for a quarter of a million views..... Someone is interested!
If the fact that cooking natural foods is mentioned and read it might persuade someone else to try it and as we all know, not all viewers respond. Who knows how many we have converted to green veggies!
Yesterday the mutton and veggies came on song and is superb! I had it for dinner and tea. Pudding was a very small pack of chocolate raisins.....
If people knew how cheap our meals are compared to what they buy as ready meals or fast food they would be amazed.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sausages with onion gravy, cauliflower & broccoli.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just saw an advert for "feed your family an evening meal for (equivalent of) £10". They didn't define what the number of family members were...but even if one went for Mum/Dad/3kids....I would be more than up to the challenge! I could do a mains and dessert for that, I reckon, though we never eat desserts so my reckoning might be off. Using seasonal produce and buying wisely, I think it would even be possible to have a dollop of cream on the dessert!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Marilyn wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 09:30 Is no-one else on this site interested in food? Does no-one appreciate what their partner cooks for them? Is it true that you are a nation that shoves frozen/pre-cooked rubbish in the oven and waits for the buzzer to ring? Or is it a trip to the Chippy EVERY night? (Shame!)
Roast Spuds, Roast Carrots, Roast Pumpkim...Cauliflower, Baby Peas,, Crumbed Chicken and Peppercorn Gravy tonight. All cooked from scratch. No pre-prepared anything.
Seriously...are Stanley and I the only ones who cook??????
I was a "working " Mum for many years...but I always cooked proper meals...
We don't eat any ready meals and it's all home made as far as possible. That's partly through choice and partly due to my digestive quirks which rule out most pre-prepared foods. Mrs Tiz does all the cooking but when she's away I cook my own and don't resort to anything ready made. I don't report what we cook and eat on OG because I'd rather spend my time on other topics. If Mrs Tiz were actively posting on OG I think she'd be the same. On the other hand, those who do post in this thread are obviously enjoying it and it does show other folk that they don't need to rely on pre-prep meals. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Stanley...it must be the "bots" who read our posts... :laugh5:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tuna mayo with sliced avocado and a plate full of salad stuff. Quick, easy and very filling.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Marilyn wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 20:45 ..it must be the "bots" who read our posts..
I read them every day. Moh, who has just posted on the 'obituaries' used to do some excellent meals. I'm not a cook but like a good boy I eat everything that's put in front of me. Other than that I would starve to death.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

If you look at the Who is Online section at the bottom of the index page you will see that quite often there are more bots than members on the site. Taken over time I think these two types of user will probably balance themselves out equally or thereabouts. Bots will account for around the same number of page hits as the actual members who post so for this thread which is running at just over 5000 posts about 10,000 in total. The rest of the hits will be down to unregistered guest users who almost invariably outnumber the members many times over averaging about 140-150 at any one time. Hard to equate properly without a statistics module but I reckon that will be somewhere near.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 22:36 The rest of the hits will be down to unregistered guest users who almost invariably outnumber the members many times over averaging about 140-150 at any one time.
However the Board Index says - "Most users ever online was 22 on 25 Oct 2013, 08:41"

Much as I love this site - we must be realistic. I kept some casual records last year, and confirmed my thought that the site is almost a private club of about 20 people who post regularly. We make new members welcome I'd say, but don't seem able to retain their interest.

Their loss. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

True...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The bottom line is that we can't really tell who is looking at the site but there are many readers who are not members. Have a look at the daily head count for steam engines, they aren't all bots! Not that it really matters, I don't come on here to strive for hits, I come to talk to my friends and that's all that matters to me. Oneguy is a very welcome part of my life..... Worth remembering also how valuable OG is as a reference source. Look at things like the LTP and the Rare texts. Mystery Objects has a lot of hits as well!
Like you Ian, I am sure I could feed a family for a tenner!
Mutton stew and veggies X two yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One bowl of Mutton stew and veggies for dinner. Only a bit left for tea so I grilled some sausages and added them to it. That seemed to do the trick! Butcher's this morning so treats are in prospect!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I went veggie shopping yesterday and boiled a pan of broth bits. I had steak pudding and veggies for dinner and Scotch Egg and veggies for tea. I like broth bits........ dead easy and all the right stuff in them!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A Chicken Chasseur (sort of) with celeriac noodles and broccoli.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had Scotch Egg and veggies for dinner but at the same time fried three pork ribs marinaded in Chinese spices and popped them in the slow cooker with baked beans and the last of the veggies and had them for tea. Good warming stuff on a cold day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

For dinner I picked on two small chicken legs and had a cream trifle that Kath had slipped in my bag on Friday. For tea I had straight vegetables even though this week's mutton stew was just about ready. It won't harm to slow cook for another day, wonderful how it improves if you give it time...... Maz would be proud of the green veggies, cabbage, sprouts, broccoli....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”