WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Not interested in that Kev, bit too nosey for me. I looked it up and it's at least 44 years old.... bit of a miracle it's still running!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Probably not relevant in this case but registrations can be kept and transferred, they are not always an indication of the cars age. My daughter has the registration on her 2017 marque car from one of the first cars she ever owned over 20 years ago. It's been on every vehicle she has had since.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This one was original Ian, it was a very old Range Rover........
The way everyone wants to start fighting each other...... Oh, and today is Friday the 13th......
THIS BBC account of the report that apprenticeships are being devalued and misused is no surprise to me. As long ago 'qualifications' were being handed out for activities like tea-brewing and timekeeping, a long distance removed from genuine 7 year apprenticeships. Some companies, Rolls Royce are a good local example, are providing genuine meaningful apprenticeships and I applaud them. We need many more and not this spurious tick-box ethos where jobs like serving fast food qualify for subsidy, this is simply a cunning wheeze to get the money.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

When i did my apprenticeship 1952 -59, it was evening classes 3 or 4 nights a week the college was in Hyde so my daily 12 mile cycle trips nearly doubled at night classes, the company had a proviso, if you passed your exams /test they would put you on day release with pay for the next year, glad to say after the first year i stayed on day release, some where i still have the certs. and presentation engineering books that were given each year, my final meant that i was classified has a City & Guilds Machine Tool Fitter. The next year i left engineering to join the developing "now polluting" plastics industry , but my engineering skills stood me in good stead for the next 60 years. here in Ireland they attend a training unit full time for a 6/9 month period and come out with a piece of paper that says are qualified in what they studied, but if you gave them a lathe with hand picked change wheels and ask them to cut a thread they can't , i recall in one of my classes we had to make an eye bolt by hand using the forge and the hand weld on the ring was tested on a tensometer to proof load. Good Times & Memories
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

In 1970 my City and Guilds course was 5 years day release which included an extra night as well. We did all day Tuesday 9am - 9pm and then went back on Thursday 6pm to 9pm for Calcs and Principles. Burnley College, I did the City and Guilds (Radio & TV) Electronic Mechanics Course. Morphed that into Computer and Network related stuff as the technology developed.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good examples of proper apprenticeships and there were millions like you over the years. No wonder we led the world. I never did an apprenticeship in anything unless you count University. Nevertheless Newton said that given a bit more time he could make me into a half decent engineer. They rabbit on about 'productivity' and are bemused as to why it is so low. The answer is staring them in the face, it's the lack of basic education and proper apprenticeships in the lower strata of workers. A good Higher National is equal to most university degrees and surpasses most in utility. In the 1980s Rochdale had a government run apprentice training school and they did a good job, I'll bet those pupils are still benefiting from the training. It was financed partly by the local firms. We need something like that now plus of course excellent schemes Like that run by Rolls.
On other current matters the bucket of sand in the kitchen is proving very useful.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apprenticeships are still on my mind. If you've never read Greenwood's 'Love on the Dole' get hold of a copy. It describes life in Salford in the 1930s, the way apprenticeships were abused by employers and how things were then in the fictional Hanky Park. Walter Greenwood had experienced it all and when he became unemployed it forced him into journalism, writing the book and subsequent fame.
What grabbed me today is that it looks as though the year has turned. As the old farmers used to say "We've wintered again!". Always welcome......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Christian

Post by Christian »

Well, I aint posted in a while due to many reasons. The biggest one is after being married in May last year, it turns out that wife wasnt quite happy after the £20k party and she had an affair no less than 20 weeks later, I think it might have been 12 but I could get the maths wrong. I'm sure the local constabulary can confirm the exact ignition of fireworks!

Anyway, big do's and umpteen evenings in Skipton police station I'm now back at the mothers new house after being advised its best to keep her and the new idiot in lodgings. Apparently thats winning ey!

So yea, finding life with myself, two border terriers, bedding down at the old birds, we found, well dictated, that our lives can fit in the back of a large estate car. Life gets much much better as we have found out :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You have had a rough trot, Christian.
I can confirm life does indeed get better over time, and the scars of relationship break downs do fade. Some of us on here have been through it and are very happy now. You are lucky you have a Mum who can provide shelter and support. That is a real bonus. Make sure you thank her...
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Hi Christian. I've been there, done that... :sad:
An expensive mistake, financially and emotionally, but put it behind you and move on.
You are right, life does get better. Good luck.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a bit of a bugger.
We've all been there Christian. Better you find out now than later when there are kids, remember Life of Brian!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Christian,, you have a long way to go to catch up on my family my mother was married twice and my father four times, his first wife died, he married my mother 1935, i was b.1937 , they divorced in 1947, i later found out that ive a half brother born in Denmark whist he was in the RAF! , he went on to marry twice more plus i know he played the field, a bloody glutton for punishment ?.
Myself married to same lass for 54 yrs, shes from Lancashire stock and i'm from Yorkshire so the war of the roses continues !, but we have had truces we have four daughters who between them have given us nine grandchildren & two g. grand children.
Always look on the bright side of life, Bodger
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My attention was roused at 04.30am with son's dog ( whom we are dog sitting) climbing the stairs. I lay there listening to her wandering about (dog claws on polished timber floors...tick...tick...tick). Then I heard her jump on the guest bed.
I got up and took her back downstairs to her bed in the kitchen. I worry about her on the stairs at night because she is getting on a bit and has Arthritis (plus has had a knee replacement). Little devil she is. Last thing I need is for son to come back and find she had fallen downstairs.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Little rubber bootees at night Maz.
Margaret flies out today to Perth. I shan't be easy until I hear she is home safe.
The fact that Big Kev sorted my on demand services out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Get yourself a stair gate to put across the bottom of the stairs Maz.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I am not forking out for another one of those, Wendy. We bought one and let son use it when she was a pup...she basically "ate" it and it was in such a shabby state we didn't want it back. ( how is it that you loan things in excellent order and they come back trashed?).
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Marilyn wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 09:52 ...and they come back trashed?
Does that include the Son?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's why I never lend books (except to outstanding friends....) I'd rather give them away.
Margaret and Mick will be somewhere near Dubai......Acceptance letter for BG settlement ready for the post this morning. The complaints system worked better than their account management computer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

(Son has been known to get trashed Plaques. Thankfully, it's not too often these days. I did have a report from his girlfriend that their first night out camping was a bit of a giggle...son had a few beers and forgot the bit of fabric at the bottom of the tent door..and he tripped over it. Silly Sausage! :laugh5: )
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 03:02 That's why I never lend books (except to outstanding friends....) I'd rather give them away.
Margaret and Mick will be somewhere near Dubai......Acceptance letter for BG settlement ready for the post this morning. The complaints system worked better than their account management computer!
Do you know you can 'follow' their flight here:

https://uk.flightaware.com/

Just enter their flight number or other details of their flight.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret keeps me well informed China!
It was a day of resolved problems yesterday, gas account, missing book and the shape of my lump of metal. Just one other matter hanging in the balance and I know that is being processed. If only every day could be as positive!

This caught my attention. The car that took root here for over six months has gone and the owner did the right thing and swept the space up. Mostly cat muck!
Later.... I have watered the space with a solution of Jeyes Fluid. I find it deters the cats, they don't like crapping where it has been put down.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only a small thing but so important. I am feeling very well and it struck me this morning as I climbed the stairs that it's a bit of an achievement to be able to do that easily without getting out of breath. I'm pain free, breathing well and apart from a few old war wounds that I have to be careful about I'm in pretty good nick considering the mileage. Always look on the bright side!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that now I have my new fixed tariff for energy I am not fettered by the free leccy in that I can do the vacuuming, washing and cooking when it suits me and not have to wait until 9AM on the Sunday. It was nice knowing it was free and a saving but I was able to do my vacuuming yesterday afternoon and I have the washer loaded and will wash earlier. Before I had to wait until the washer had finished at about 11:30 before I could go to bed for my midday sleep. It also means I shall be able to get in the shed today and it is good not to have to do everything at one go......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Between 19.00 and 19.30 yesterday we had a fascinating thunderstorm. The sky turned dark grey, no clouds could be distinguished, just a dark overcast. Then thunder started rumbling, like a giant throwing around empty metal oil drums. Then in came the lightning. Not just your ordinary forked or sheet lightning but very fine white lines shooting horizontally across the sky, not straight but taking a meandering course as if bouncing off obstacles like in a pinball machine. I've seen lightning like that in tropical regions but never before in the UK. Then came the one event that capped them all - a burst of lightning like nothing I've ever seen before. It was as if the lightning was trapped in an invisible globe and bouncing around inside it, just an isolated patch in the dark overcast sky. It was as if a lot of lightning streaks were bouncing about at the same time in the same patch and intertwining with each other. Very strange but very interesting to observe. It would make a great opening shot for a global disaster film!

(NB. I did a google search to see if there was anything in the local news about it but found nothing. But google did offer news about a serial flasher targeting teenage girls. So much for google's accuracy!)
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”