WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Just to "Evens" things up a little, Chris Evans also is a breath of fresh air in the morning when Radio 4 has depressed me about the state of the world. We may have lost the sobriety of earlier BBC presentations, but there are horses for courses and Chris Evans does have his place. On a personal note, I am fed up with the entire Radio 4 take on the wedding this morning, less pomp and circumstance and more what we could expect from a lady of colour, anyone would have thought this was a political marriage rather than a marriage of two young people who love each other.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree totally Julie. I have heard some of the most vapid and far fetched statements imaginable this morning. All part of course of the curse of the presenter who has to fill every second with something. Two middle aged people (round about 35 qualifies as middle aged if you think about the Bible's three score and ten) are getting married. End of story! Needless to say, this house will, as far as possible, be a wedding-free zone for the rest of today.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wonder if the street sweepers are on overtime in Windsor today......
Mr and Mrs Tiz are inspecting Cornwall for a week, they've picked good weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

An interesting article from Glossop Heritage Trust, i assume a lot of it would also have applied to Barlick ?
http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/fambudg.htm
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for that link Bodger - very interesting.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bodge, Barlick would be very similar but worth pointing out that this is a relatively prosperous budget. Income could vary a lot and have a look at Reach in Rare Documents for reports of living in poverty, there were plenty of them and they didn't fare nearly as well.
A phone call from a young lady about my 'complaint' to British Gas. I didn't even know I'd made one..... She was British but gabbled and I had to keep asking her to speak slowly, in the end she asked if I'd rather have a letter and I said yes! I have great difficulty with people speaking very fast.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The inquest on the last Royal Wedding is still running. Every detail will be picked over and analysed to death.

How many weddings have we had in the last 50 years? Roughly one every seven years so nothing new there.
30 June 1978: Prince Michael of Kent was married to Baroness Marie Christine von Reibnitz at the Wiener Rathaus in Austria.
29 July 1981: Charles, Prince of Wales, eldest son of Queen Elizabeth II and heir apparent, was married to Lady Diana Spencer at St Paul's Cathedral.
23 July 1986: Prince Andrew, Duke of York, second son of Queen Elizabeth II, was married to Sarah Ferguson at Westminster Abbey.
12 December 1992: Anne, Princess Royal, only daughter of Queen Elizabeth II was married to Commander Timothy Laurence at Crathie Kirk.
19 June 1999: Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, youngest son of Queen Elizabeth II, was married to Sophie Helen Rhys-Jones at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.
9 April 2005: Charles, Prince of Wales, eldest son of Queen Elizabeth II and heir apparent, was married to Camilla Parker Bowles at Windsor Guildhall.
29 April 2011: Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, second grandson of Queen Elizabeth II, elder son of Charles, Prince of Wales, and second in line to the throne, was married to Catherine Elizabeth Middleton at Westminster Abbey.
19 May 2018: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, third grandson of Queen Elizabeth II, younger son of Charles, Prince of Wales, and sixth in line to the throne, was married to Rachel Meghan Markle at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see we had the wedding pictures yesterday......
The fact that I go to see Dracula this morning so she can take another arm full of blood....
Daughter Susan and husband Mick visiting this morning.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for the latest evidence that the High Street is poorly, Marks and Spencer's are in trouble and closing stores down. I see that one is in Stockport, I can remember when they, Woolworth and British Home Stores were the anchors in the High Street. This is a knock on of the closures, these large flagship stores attracted the footfall and remember that their business rates are a major part of local council funding. The problem is of course bad management and the growth of internet shopping. Not a heathy sign!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 23 May 2018, 05:22 See THIS for the latest evidence that the High Street is poorly, Marks and Spencer's are in trouble and closing stores down. I see that one is in Stockport, I can remember when they, Woolworth and British Home Stores were the anchors in the High Street. This is a knock on of the closures, these large flagship stores attracted the footfall and remember that their business rates are a major part of local council funding. The problem is of course bad management and the growth of internet shopping. Not a heathy sign!
Internet shopping isn't a problem, it's a solution! The past is gone, the big stores have had their day. Move on!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

China. That doesn't invalidate my point that the growth of E-shopping is one of the factors leading to stores on the high street being unprofitable. It's a matter of opinion whether the race to the bottom on the internet is a good thing. We see the growth of monopoly and inevitably lessening of choice especially if you are not computer literate and there are many who aren't. Not everyone has a bank account and credit card for instance. They are completely locked out of the brave new world.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Stanley, you're old enough to have got over "brave new world" it makes the cut for different and more complicated but not much else in my book. :biggrin2:
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have Pluggy but I'm thinking about other people who haven't got there yet and the effect it is having on the high street and council income.. In case you haven't noticed things are deteriorating fast!
The fact that the new policy on prescriptions means that I run out of one medication before the script is due.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A letter from British Gas which suggests they are not talking to each other! Incompetence reigns, OK?
See THIS which is old news but is an indication about a worrying rise in extremist views in Germany. Anti Semitism seems to be on the rise.
Add the extreme views being expressed by the new Italian government and there seems to be a trend developing that indicates a shift to the Right. Very disturbing for old farts like me who have long memories!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A very good response from an old GP mate of mine in America about the anti migraine drug. Knowledgeable friends are a boon at times!
See THIS for a shameful story of betrayal. We promised these interpreters protection and have failed abysmally. We aren't talking about big expense or thousands of migrants, this problem was easily solvable but we have let them down. It is disgraceful and was done in our name.....
Gove as caretaker PM with him and Ruth Davidson fighting the next election? Are the Tories completely barking? See this REPORT. What a splendid way to motivate Theresa......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

chinatyke wrote: 23 May 2018, 06:17Internet shopping isn't a problem, it's a solution! The past is gone, the big stores have had their day. Move on!
It's not as simple as that, China. Shopping online is OK for some things but for many others the consumer wants to be able to try out the item in a shop and be able to discuss it with the shop staff face to face. It's also a common mistake to think that everything is cheaper online when you can often find the same price or better in a shop or get it discounted by simply asking them to do you a a better price. You can build up a relationship with a real shop that you can never do with Amazon and the like. And another important factor - lots of people enjoy going to shops and combining it with a visit to the coffee shop or restaurant. I know some people are going into the shop simply to see the item they want then going home and buying it from, say, Amazon online. But that retail model isn't going to survive. The High Street or retail park shops aren't going to survive if everyone started doing that - but I don't believe they will, shopping is too attractive for most people, even it it isn't for me!

Stanley's right about the serious decline in shops but it's more to do with the economy than anything else. People in Britain aren't spending so much, either because they can't or won't. The Government is hiding it or just blind to it but we're in bad trouble. Part of it is definitely blindness but due to a paradigm shift which is making our economic forecasting and national statistics not fit for purpose. That's another story and I'll go into it in more detail elsewhere...once I've recovered from my holiday! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Welcome back Tiz. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks Ian, we had wonderful weather, just right for walking the beaches and cliffs. I'm sure my legs are an inch shorter. I'll put a few photos up once I've got them sorted! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to see you back Tiz, glad it was a good break.....
The main thing that grabbed me was the referendum on abortion in Ireland. A stunning result and very welcome. This means that N Ireland has to come into line. Bad news for the Roman Catholic church and I'm not sorry about that. For too long they have been embedded in Irish politics. Their hold is slipping.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A falling down drunk youth staggering about Valley Gardens this morning in sunglasses..... Whatever turns you on.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

PARIS RESCUE
Watch this half minute video, it will warm the cockles....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Bands on the Square has been a much improved event this year, a ban on bringing your own drink has stopped nearly all of the antisocial behaviour that was seen last year. The local constabulary reported just one arrest, at the event, on Saturday and the confiscation of 41litres of alchohol at the entrances.
From personal observation the event was calm and people were there to enjoy the music (not drink as much as possible and fight one another), day three today so an early finish with the exception of the volunteers who will be out clearing up.
The tribute to Allan Parkinson yesterday was emotional and fitting, past and most recent members of Dark Horse played a 45 minute set of Allan's original material to an appreciative crowd.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Have a look at the flooding in Birmingham, it's been bad for those affected: Brum flood
...then have a look at how it was even worse for folk In Maryland, USA: Maryland, USA
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 28 May 2018, 07:51 ...and the confiscation of 41 litres of alchohol at the entrances.
I take it the booze was voluntarily given up to be returned on leaving. Although virtually teetotal myself I have not problem with people enjoying a drink at this sort of event. Generally speaking it adds to the overall atmosphere making it more relaxed friendly.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 28 May 2018, 11:37
Big Kev wrote: 28 May 2018, 07:51 ...and the confiscation of 41 litres of alchohol at the entrances.
I take it the booze was voluntarily given up to be returned on leaving. Although virtually teetotal myself I have not problem with people enjoying a drink at this sort of event. Generally speaking it adds to the overall atmosphere making it more relaxed friendly.
Very reasonably priced drinks (alchoholic and soft) were available at the venue, cold water and cordial was free. The restriction was on taking in your own and was part of the licence conditions. The confiscation would have been from anyone unable to provide ID if they didn't meet the 'challenge 25' requirements, anyone else would be refused entry.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”