CHILDHOOD MEMORIES

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CHILDHOOD MEMORIES

Post by Stanley »

"Sitting out on the flat roof of the coal place/outside toilet and writing down the registration number of every car that passed by on the road. "
Funny isn't it how popular collecting numbers was. In my case it was locomotive numbers on the railway. We took it very seriously and amassed a lot of knowledge about the railway and how it worked. Today 'Train spotter' is used as a pejorative term and I often think how unfair this is, we learned a lot more from that exercise and our Ian Allan handbooks in which we underlined each loco as we 'collected' it than modern kids do on their Playstation. We were out in the open air as well!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
SPR676

Post by SPR676 »

Just thinking back to the rhymes we used to say or sing when we were wee. Some were hysterically funny, some just plain and simple and some on the border line which, if we said or sang them today, would land us in trouble with the Politically Correct Police and maybe law suits. It’s funny when we look back and think about the things we said or sang about. The thing is they were just words and didn’t influence our feelings about people.
Russ
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

How many of you still have your school reports. I still have my grade 7 report and my high school years report s.
I haven't looked at them for decades and was surprised to read that some teachers thought I was bright, cheery and well-mannered. Haha.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You ARE bright, cheery and well mannered!

I thought of you yesterday, Cazza. I was wandering Target ( Febby ducked into the barber for an impromptu hair cut). I spotted these two women who looked like sisters. They kept putting their heads together and whispering and then cackling with laughter. This went on every few steps...they seemed to really be enjoying themselves.
All I could think of was it has been a while since we last got together and had a good cackle...

But no, I don't have any school reports. I have a couple of references (somewhere!) from Year 12.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I kept all the drawings etc that the kids brought home over the years and when they were about 40 I gave them all back to them.... They were delighted!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Most of my reports said I was "quiet and thoughtful" from memory. ( what a crock!)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We were just watching a movie and several of the men had those checked woollen dressing gowns on, with the twisted cord tie at the waist. We recalled a time when most men and boys wore this type of dressing gown ( hubby still remembers having one aged 15 when he had an operation).
Where did all those dressing gowns go to die, I wonder? There must be a massive pile of them rotting somewhere!
( very well made to, and built to last. They wouldn't rot overnight!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Maz, I had one as well. Like many other things it vanished when I left home for the farm and the army and the family moved....... (I had the biggest Meccano set in the world......... :sad: )
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A memory came back to me yesterday, funny how they pop up. At one time father's firm, GGA, made grass dryers and on a trip to one in Sussex he took me with him. The farmer lent us a couple of shotguns and father and I went for a walk. First time I had ever carried a gun. A big fat pigeon got up in front of me and I shot it with one barrel, must have been a fluke but I remember how everyone thought it was wonderful and the farmer's wife cooked it for us for supper. Never shot a pigeon since! I can still see the scene in my mind's eye and the pigeon labouring to get going.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Sorry about your Meccano set Stanley...

Growing up I often had dreams about getting back to England. I would be on Colne Rd and each dream I would get a little closer to Grandma's place (Back Colne Rd). On the night, Australian time, of the 12 Oct '72 I dreamt that I got all the way to Grandma's sitting room window. I peered in and saw that she was asleep in a rocking chair. I woke up knowing she had died, but then had to wait to be told.
October 14 is my birthday and my 'mother' sent me a card with a scrap of paper in it saying 'Grandma Moss died 12 Oct 72.
I'm so grateful to have Grandma's last letter to me, dated and posted 11 Oct 72. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's nice Cathy, a lovely memory......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Crisps made from slices of real potato, not this reconstituted muck used nowadays, with blue packets of salt.

When I first came to China I went with my family to see a film at a cinema house. I bought a packet of crisps and was delighted to find an individual packet in them, just like the old days. In the darkness I tore it open and emptied it on my crisps. Afterwards I complained to my daughter that the crisps were gritty and she burst out laughing and told me I'd eaten the packet of dessicant used in such products in the tropics.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I would have made exactly the same mistake China!
I once lived off crisps for three days waiting to offload at the Golden Wonder factory at Widnes I think it was. They were made from Egyptian Golden Wonder potatoes, hence the name.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The sealed blue flat packs of salt were a later addition from my memory. A twisted square of blue paper for the salt was the norm when I was a lad, you occasionally got two in some packets.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

...and none in others! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
SPR676

Post by SPR676 »

PanBiker wrote: 28 May 2018, 09:22 ... you occasionally got two in some packets.
That was great
Tizer wrote: 28 May 2018, 09:30 ...and none in others! :laugh5:
but that was rotten.
Russ
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If I remember correctly there used to be a firm in Nelson who made the blue paper salt twists for crisps......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Are your apples still wrapped in paper?
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Watch it Cathy this site is censored. :innoc:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

A lot of their veg are wrapped in plastic, Cazza...unlike ours which tend to be sold loose.
And they don't tend to take cloth bags to shop for groceries. (Except some stores like Lidl).
(Where we live, we either take our own bags, or some people just pack the groceries back in trolley, then empty the trolley into containers in the boot of their car. We take bags, and have been using the same ones for 15 years. They go through the wash occasionally.)
We were at the supermarket earlier in the week and they now have a collection bin for specific plastics, such as the plastic your bread or pasta is sold in. I intend to save mine now and put them in the collection bin. It all helps. ( I need to collect a list of the specific plastics they require though, as I can't remember them all)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I couldn't imagine putting my fruit and veg straight into the supermarket trolley (or even one of the smaller hand-held baskets that they provide.) That's because my buggy on wheels goes into the trolley while I wander around the shop. The wheels have been dragged over car parks, footpath s etc. I even empty it at my front door when I get home then pick it up and pop it away, instead of wheeling it thru my place.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Most supermarket fruit and veg is pre-wrapped but Chaudrie's is loose. In my youth everything was unwrapped even the bread. 5lb of spuds complete with soil and a loaf dropped on top. We survived! I can remember at about 5 years old that bag was heavy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There were two very large spinning mills at the bottom of Huntsman's Brow where Hope Memorial was. Bukta (famous for sports wear and camping equipment) and The Ring Mill. We were used to seeing them in full work every day and many women worked there. This had an effect on the school in that it stayed open during the holidays to provide day care for the kids because their mothers were on war work. This included school milk and meals and operated in the normal school hours. Us better off kids attended as well because it was fun! Me and my mate Dennis Robinson had the longest piece of French Knitting in the world in progress. I think in the end his mother made it into a large bath mat.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

French Knitting - is that the same as Thumb Knitting? I remember 4 nails I think on a piece of wood. The wool would go round and round the nails and come out circular.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We would use an empty wooden cotton reel with 4 nails in the top Cathy, or you could use a specially made one - mine was brightly painted like a wooden doll with a hole in her head.

Return to “Nostalgia”