WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Tizer »

Marilyn wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 09:39 Have you ever had a "pong" you had to hunt for? Drives you nuts!!! :laugh5:
Yes, in a room that we used as an office when we worked from home. It suddenly appeared and we couldn't find the cause at first. A horrible dead fish smell! It seemed to come and go but wasn't related to the weather. As the year grew colder and days shorter we realised that the smell was evident only when the ceiling light was on. I got on a step ladder and sniffed the light fitting and that's were it came from. The fitting was old and the plastic was slowly degrading and releasing an amine compound that smelt of fish. When we turned the light on the fitting heated up and the smell was more pronounced. We replaced the fitting with new and never had the problem again. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

One dastardly prank we played on our supervisor was to screw an old sardine tin to the underside of his chair. He must have moved the chair a hundred times and crawled on his hands and knees under his desk for hours. We removed it the next day and suggested that the cleaners must have found it.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I know it's serious and you're not supposed to laugh, but I had a little smile at this
suspicious package

It would have to be the trendy 'artisanal' bread of course. :smile:

Immediate candidate for trippssnipps
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like it David...... Reminded me of the bag with swag printed on the side in the Beano....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

If the full name of restaurant, Bombetta' had been written on the parcel people would still have thought it was a bomb - just a very small one!
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I'd hardly call Artisanal bread trendy. If I were a baker I'd want something to differentiate my bread made in the traditional way from the 'Chorleywood' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorleywood_bread_process cr*p usually sold presliced in supermarkets.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good point Pluggy. I remember delivering limestone dust to bakeries near Stoke on Trent and was amazed when they told me it was the 'added calcium' in their bread made by the Chorleywood process.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Despite BT telling me my card was a dud my supply of St Bruno tobacco arrived yesterday.... Their delivery of a new keyboard hasn't yet arrived even though they have said it's been despatched. I shan't be shopping there again! Luckily there is no rush, the old keyboard is OK, I was just upgrading.
I was unlucky enough to see part of the opening ceremony for the World |Cup in Russia.... Am I alone in thinking that this whole 'opening ceremony' competition has become a ridiculous overblown fantasy? I hit the remote and escaped.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 03:27 Good point Pluggy. I remember delivering limestone dust to bakeries near Stoke on Trent and was amazed when they told me it was the 'added calcium' in their bread made by the Chorleywood process.
It wasn't restricted to the Chorleywood Bread Process. All white flour milled in the UK (and likewise USA and Canada) must have calcium carbonate (chalk, limestone) added to it to give it the same calcium content as wholemeal flour. However, you can buy bread made in the UK from foreign-milled white flour that doesn't have added calcium. LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Remember the Wonderloaf? Turned to putty as you chewed it and had to be swallowed in lumps!
What grabbed me was how easy it was to write the final two articles about water supply and sewage disposal. I'm written up to August 17th so I can rest for a while. I think I'll educate the masses about gas and leccy next. People use these services and complain about them but have no idea of the miracles that get them into their homes.....
Have a look at THIS BBC report of another fire at the Glasgow School of Art which was still undergoing refurbishment after the fire in 2014. It looks much worse this time and something has gone very badly wrong here. There will be some very awkward questions to be answered!
Have a look at THIS and perhaps join me in being baffled by the inability of our systems to react in what looks like an open and shut case for allowing a variation in the regulation. Surly someone's heart is touched? For god's sake forget the law and allow the lad a chance of some respite.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I don't understand why this cannabis issue isn't being used as a test to see if the active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), can prevent the child's fits. It's approved for medical use in the US and Canada.

So much football at the moment, so here's a different take on the sport...
`The Forgotten First International Women’s Football Match' LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

They already know that the product freely available in Canada and the US is effective at suppressing the lads fits. It's time we came into the 21st century and regularised this for use over here when already proved beneficial.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Gala at Colne. This thing sprouted up over the last day or so. Thought at first it was some kind of rocket launcher. Colne's answer to Donald Trump. Actually just another insane fairground ride.
P6160260.JPG
The thing revolves round like a giant propeller.
P6160263AC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Don't watch it Plaques!! :mad2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Whenever I have been invited to go on a 'white knuckle' ride I have always refused. I have had enough white knuckle during my life for free, I see no point in paying for the ersatz variety!
The Home Office have released a to day supply for the lad. If there is a case for 20 days why not a permanent supply? We are the biggest exporters of Cannabis extracts in Europe.....
Later.... The CH kicked in briefly this morning, the thermostat is set at 18C so the core temperature has dropped below that Just!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm confused now about the cannabis oil. I'd written earlier that they ought to see whether the active ingredient, THC, cures the boy's fits because that could be medically prescribed. But later I read in the newspaper that the oil used by the boy contains a medically insignificant amount of THC; some other component of the cannabis oil is responsible for stopping his fits. That prompted further reading on the Web...where I find that cannabis oil can be bought over the counter in the UK from shops like Holland & Barrett. So I conclude that there is more than one type of cannabis oil - which is the boy using? The news media never give us the full story, they're too busy with celebrities, sex and football! I get the impression that the different oils are obtained by using different solvents for extraction; for example, some solvents will dissolve the THC and others won't.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Over in the weather thread Stanley mentions the portaloos in Valley Gardens for a possible fete that he had not seen advertised. It was the Barlick in Bloom groups annual summer fair although the weather let it down somewhat. It was advertised around all the local facebook groups and on various posters around the town. Barlick Brass Band was in attendance, the WI, Royal British Legion along with the Bloom Group itself, all had stalls and there were various raffles and tombola's plus the annual duck race.

How many people have recognised that the Bloom Groups excellent work at the planting area by Foresters Buildings is in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Suffrage movement and victory in achieving the franchise for some women at least? The flower bed is planted up in the colours of the Women' Suffrage movement. To celebrate this, some of the women of Barnoldswick Labour Party dressed in the style of the time and others in modern day to make the point that the struggle carries on.

Here is the flower bed adorned in Suffrage colours.

Reinforcing the point.

Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Was the Women's Suffrage Movement ever big in Barnoldswick (historically)?
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

It was certainly key in my family, from Brierfield.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that, it had completely escaped my notice.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I'm just interested to know how the Suffrage Movement affected/influenced people's lives at "the kitchen table level". ( every change starts at the kitchen table level if you ask me...it is where folk gathered, discussed things and decided enough was enough...the kitchen table is where "nurture" starts and other aspects of life are deemed unacceptable...)
In South Australia, where I live, women got the vote in 1895 and earned the right to stand for parliament the same year.
But was Women's Suffrage all about the vote? Or were they seeking wider rights for women? And what rights were they seeking?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

...the bomb squad down at Greenberfield, someone pulled an old mortar round out of the canal :surprised:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Possibly found by Magnet fishing, it's quite popular these days. The new rare earth magnets are so powerful you can pull quite heavy weights out. Amazing what's lurking in the bed of the canal. Lots of videos on Youtube if you do a search.....
How well I sleep between clean cotton duvet covers.......
There appears to be a problem with the new blue bins for waste paper that have been issued. I have seen three with lids broken off at the hinges......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

At last the BBC News web site has clarified some of the confusion over cannabis oil, cannabidiol, cannabinoids, THC, CBD, cannabis, industrial hemp etc. LINK It seems that the `cannabis oil' given to the boy Billy is extracted from cannabis plants and contains significant THC; the CBD oil given to the boy Alfie is extracted from industrial hemp and has little THC but significant cannabidiol and can be bought over the counter. Cannabis contains many other cannabinoid compounds, which may have beneficial or adverse effects on health. There needs to be a lot more work done to sort out the properties of the various components of the various products and their derivatives.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was struck by the mother who suspected she 'had been played' after meeting T May face to face and being promised 'immediate action'. It didn't happen but my, didn't they move fast when they saw the furore that was building and the blame got close to Downing Street!
Hague has a point about chopping the legs from under the dealers by taking control of distributing drugs. Personally I would extend it to all drugs and use the money saved on proper effective education and welfare programmes. Still an imperfect solution but so much better than what exists at the moment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”