Today I shall be Mainly...

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Tizer »

We've been pleased to see lots of insects here, and a bit surprised because it was such a bad time for them earlier in the year. The old garden here doesn't have much for them but there's a lot of old mint in flower and seems to much loved by bees and other smaller insects, so much so that there's a cloud of them around the flowering heads. We aim to put in lots of plants to attract insects and birds and it's frsutrating to not be able to do it yet! Mrs Tiz sowed some packets of wild flower seeds earlier in the year and they've provided some colour in the meantime.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley as my plants had cascaded on to the floor and their original stakes either broken or pulled from the ground we did three horizontal wires and tied the stems in pulling up to the next highest wire. It took hours but a job well done. Next year we shall try a different approach. Obviously we are not here to wind the growing points around the strings but I am sure we can devise something similar
I can now see my aubergine and pepper plants as well as my runnner beans. Pictures to follow whenI can sort it out!
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

4F70613F-4560-4977-8D6B-50898DA6D959.jpeg
9917DB97-3EBF-4840-B3E0-C7412F529E03.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Looking good Sue! My tomatoes have really suffered from excess heat in the poly tunnel this year. I use string to support mine hung from a conveniently placed section of the frame.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I even found a pumpkin buried under that lot!
StoneRoad
Regular User

Post by StoneRoad »

I have been building a new greenhouse ...
Saluton. Mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album

to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Ian. Even the mint is starting to suffer from the drought but that rain last night will have perked it up a bit.
No shed yesterday but I shall be in there this morning.
Wendy may have got away with drying her washing outside.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I got 3 loads washed and dried to a crisp yesterday. It has just started raining now, I don't think it rained at all overnight here. Cleaning today!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Just as we got the new barbecue out yesterday evening and set the table under the gazebo, down came the rain. Bob said the new BBQworks because it started raining!

Garden all tidy now, is it really only 4 days since we arrived, its a cool 22 degrees today after the rain yesterday and during the night. It soaked the soil and filled the rainwater butts. As the soil was damp I was able to weed the last flower border and the strawberry patch. I picked another three large tomatoes and 5 or 6 cherry tomatoes last night. Still no sign of cucumbers, except the one we ate.

Well I am having a beer sat outside, I shall change out of my gardening gear and sit and finish my book I think. YES Stanley, you read it right SIT!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Enjoy Sue, we are just settling in at our holiday let on the NE coast, A good run up and fine at the moment, grandchildren have already been in the sea :smile: Teatime becons,
Ian
StoneRoad
Regular User

Post by StoneRoad »

Far too wet and windy to glaze the new greenhouse ...

Last night's thunderstorm stopped me seeing the 'Blood Moon'. However, the rain had greatly reduced the watering requirements.
Saluton. Mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album

to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I missed your pics of the tomatoes before and after Sue. Looking a lot better.
I made some more muck in the shed yesterday.... Bit more today with luck.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Our weekend visitors have just left. Febby hoovered and I washed floors and am putting the washing through. It has just started raining and news is we are in for another few days of cold weather. This weekend was beautifully sunny though so can't complain. The kids wanted the heater on last night -it wasn't cold but they said it was freezing. The dog left the room because it was too warm for her and sought refuge on the floor tiles of the kitchen. I got too hot too and turned the heater off, which caused a few moans. I don't know what is wrong with folk. It's not cold!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's one of the advantages of living on your own Maz. Jack never complains whatever I do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 02:23 I missed your pics of the tomatoes before and after Sue. Looking a lot better.
And ripening better too, already had several pickings. I spent the afternoon not reading, but making chutney. I have decided the freezer is too full of fruit and veg to manage to get through it all, especially with some more growing now. So today I am going to make several varieties of soup and refreeze in English plastic milk bottles ( they are better than the french bottles) this will take up less space and will be soon used up in our visits in autumn and spring.

Today is a very dreary windy day with rain forecast most of the day. Such a shame as it is the annual fete and large commune meal at one of our local towns. We usually pay a visit to the fete but its in a field so if it rains its rather soggy.

Where abouts are you in the NE Ian, the coastline of my childhood. Enjoy....though the sea can be a bit chilly!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We are at Newbiggin Sue. Fabulous beach and the kids don't seem to mind the cold :smile: Thunderstorms last night and it's a lot fresher this morning with light rain, set to clear and warm up again from tomorrow.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Newbiggin is virtually our second home. We've been travelling up there since the 1960's. Normally at this time of year we spend a few days at the Alnwick music festival but this year it has been cancelled. If you do go up to Alnwick pop in to Barter Books on Station Wagonway Road, Link. The kids can watch to toy trains running around the top of the book cases while you have a quick brouse round. Park on Wagonway Rd and walk into town. Always a good day out.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

One of our photos from last year.

Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I worked just outside Alnwick for three years in the early seventies, and traveled through the town on an almost daily basis - never knew at all that there was a station :smile: I see it was a branch from Alnmouth, and closed in 1968. Looks like my idea of a nice afternoon out.

There was a shop with an abandoned window display known as 'the dirty bottles' - I remember that. Looks like it's a rather pretentious modern restaurant now, Dirty Bottles
They have 'pulled pork' and mixologists. Good grief :smile:

Harry Potter had not been born then, and the castle was partly used as a Teacher Training College. I remember a local shopkeeper being asked what concessions he made for the students. 'I let them into my shop' he replied.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's a pic of Newbiggin in 1979, the last time I was there and a massive North Sea Storm battering the town. The waves made the ground shudder..... Maureen's dad, Jack, was a miner for fifty years in the pits that went out under the sea and he told me that in weather like this they could hear rocks rolling round on the sea bed..... Hard men!
I can taste those outdoor tomatoes Sue as you write about them!

More muck-shifting yesterday. I shall be in there this morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its not a place I have been Ian, we used to go further up towards Beadnel and Holy Islands or further down was our local beach area, stony shores there. It looks great.

It rained all day yesterday and is torrential this morning. Great for the plants it hasn’t flattened! At least the tomatoes are safe and I have a large bowl full of ripened red lovelies.

We spent yesterday doing jobs. Bob nearly finished plasterboarding the wall of the ensuite. I made over 5 litres of a variety of soups. We were also washing a large plastic box of lego we bought at a carboot sale. It was 10 euros and must be worth neatly 100 euro, with several kits in it but all mixed up together. There is also a load of junk in there and we keep pulling out allsorts, dice, marbles, farm animals, arms of toys etc. We think the family who sold it just picked up what had turned into an receptacle for unwanted bits and pieces. As we wash the bricks we are sorting them into types and bagging them up so it will be easier to find the bits to make up the various models. It should keep the grandchildren quiet when they come and also the neighbours children

Today I think we may avoid the weather by visiting a DIY store to look at flooring for the new ensuite and also visit a fabric warehoyse to top up on sewing goodies. Otherwise no plans
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stop mentioning those tomatoes Sue. Every time you do my mouth waters!
I shall be passing my time doing what I like best, making muck in the shed. I had a good clean up in there yesterday, the bloody chips track all over the house!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 03:24 Stop mentioning those tomatoes Sue. Every time you do my mouth waters!
2B67C02C-D941-41A5-A718-C339A617F673.jpeg

Sorry Stanley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No you're not! You're teasing me......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”