STATE PENSION

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: STATE PENSION

Post by PanBiker » 25 Aug 2018, 13:02

I reported in another thread, forgetting that we had this one! Got my State Pension invitation recently and have used my "unique invitation code" to claim what I have already paid in when I turn 65 at the end of November. They asked if I wanted to defer, I said no.

Sally still has another two years to go before receiving a bean, four years already robbed to the tune of about £30,000.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 26 Aug 2018, 03:08

Women have been so badly treated. I hope they remember at election time.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 26 Aug 2018, 10:08

Oh, I think they will Stanley they have stirred a hornets nest. These are the the women who recognise the importance of the struggle to get the franchise in the first place. There is no way that they will stay at home come the reckoning.
Ian

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke » 26 Aug 2018, 13:21

Not so long ago they were demanding equality. :surprised:

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 26 Aug 2018, 15:04

And your point?

A contract is a contract, broken by the government with no notice. My wife found out she was not going to get her pension 5 months before she turned 60. No time to plan for losing the £45,000 or thereabouts that was effectively promised to her when she started work at 15.

I have no problem, and neither do those women affected by the robbery with a phased introduction of parity but that has not been the case for thousands of women.
Ian

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke » 26 Aug 2018, 22:16

chinatyke wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 13:21
Not so long ago they were demanding equality. :surprised:
PanBiker wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 15:04
And your point?
Now they have it.

Big Kev
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Big Kev » 26 Aug 2018, 22:32

I'm aware of women being told they were paid less than men as they got to retire 5 years earlier, I'm struggling to find the equality. Perhaps, if the salary difference had been 'back paid' the pension deferment may have been slightly more acceptable.
Kev

A Resigned Observer

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 27 Aug 2018, 02:25

Quite right Kev.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke » 27 Aug 2018, 02:36

Rules change. This is how it works. Ian's wife didn't sign a "contract" and there was no "contract" to pay her at 60. At the time she started working, the government were paying pensions to females at the age of 60 and the basic state pension (for men) was £13.30 per week in 1975. This amount has also changed considerably. The number of "qualifying" payment years has been reduced considerably also. I can understand that she is upset, as would most people be that are affected by the age change rules, but it is swings and roundabouts, like it or lump it.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 27 Aug 2018, 05:38

I'm glad you aren't in charge of public finances China. The contract being referred to is the concept of the 'Social Contract' a blanket term applied to the understood relationship between the government and the populace. It's a well understood concept and widely used in responsible discussions about these relationships. In this case the underlying assumption was that if we put up with lower wages we would be given good working conditions with security and holiday and overtime benefits and be cared for by the state in sickness and old age. This is the contract that has been comprehensively broken.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke » 27 Aug 2018, 09:02

Stanley wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 05:38
I'm glad you aren't in charge of public finances China.
So am I.

I sympathise with Ian about Sally's position but you can't cherry pick the bits you like. There have been many changes since State Pension began and overall it is much better now than when it was first started. For example, if State Pension Age had been increased at the same rate as Life Expectancy then people wouldn't become pensioners until well into their seventies. IMHO the government is doing a good job in honouring its social obligations in this matter. [Not often you hear me say that!]

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 27 Aug 2018, 09:18

As I said earlier, Sally and the thousands of other women affected would not be so angry if they had been given notice. If she and the others had been told at 50 or even 55 years of age it gives you time to make different life choices. Subsequent generations of women have this knowledge and can plan accordingly. The changes could have easily been phased in rather than dumped on one section of women who are slated to loose all. It's screwed our finances up as we made certain choices when Sally was ill and later when we lost our son based on the fact that we would have an income stream that should have started 4 years ago.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 28 Aug 2018, 02:55

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”