WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

I freely admit to having a fetish about boots but there are worse faults! You've got to admit though, they look impressive!

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Lovely boots but I wish you wouldn't surprise us with these foot photos.....they give me vertigo! :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry Wendy! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Took my old sheepskin slippers for a retread at Birros yesterday, the uppers are still good. He said £28!! As I was staring at him gobsmacked I noticed he was holding his hand out, he wanted the money before he'd accept them and pointed to a large notice on the counter. Apart from him implying I was not trusted, the last pair of boots only cost £30 for sole and heel which is bad enough but I do realise that prices have gone up. So I told him I wouldn't bother, I'll get a set of soles and do them myself.
When I got home I rang the Ilkley Shoe Company. They are good I know. Their price for sole and heel on Tricker boots is £36.50 and if I get them dropped in they'll mail them back to me, no prepayment needed. Guess where I'll be going in future.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I've used Birro's at Colne for years. Always done a good job and if things come unstuck as they do with modern materials the correction is usually free. Things may appear expensive to us old fogies but things in general have got more expensive, hourly rates, materials, overheads and rents/ rates. At least you can go to a local shop for repairs which is most unusual. As with cars and TVs its sometimes cheaper to ditch the old model than hang on to that dear old friend.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

When I type a post on OG now and the red wavy underlining comes up to warn of a wrong spelling it seems to be using American spellings. I don't recall this being so in the past? Has something changed or have I simply not noticed before? And would a change be in OG or in my Firefox browser I wonder? (My browser preference is set to UK GB.)
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Nothing has changed in the site software Tiz, default language for the board is British English.

If you right click in the post editor, what does it say under language for you?
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Says English (United States) in mine! I've got English (British) in Firefox as an add-on.
Tried to change to British English but it remains in American, eg color!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

P, you've missed the point, I don't object to paying modern prices to keep good boots on the road, it's always cheaper and better than a new pair. It was the fact that they have ceased to trust me to pay after 50 years.
The visit by Susan who cut my hair.
The arrival of the Bob Woodward book.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ian, it says `English (United Kingdom)' in mine. If I type `flavour' it accepts that and doesn't try to force `flavor' on me, so that's OK (it has just underlined flavor). But some less common examples of English v. American get underlined. I can't remember an example at the moment but I'll keep a eye open for future ones. I guess it might be the site using `English (United Kingdom) with a touch of American'. What the Americans think is English English! :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If mine comes across a word that I know is right I just add it to the dictionary that sorts if for future use. Mainly had it with electronic terms. If it's a general dictionary not surprising that some stuff is not covered, they should all do common words though.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer, I looked further into this. The following worked for me:

I had already added English (British) to Firefox as an add-on but OGFB was still pointing out mis-spellings such as flavour/colour etc. You need to add-on
the British dictionary as well. I added British English Dictionary (Marco Pinto).

Right click in the edit space, select Languages then Add Dictionaries.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I just follow the Ian line, if I know it's right I either add it or just ignore it. Doesn't show in the actual post. OG is actually very good on spelling unlike most text messages I have seen where they just make it up as they go along......
The fact that the Woodward book I got was printed here in UK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This should a useful bit of kit...
`NovaSAR: UK radar satellite to track illegal shipping activity' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard that report as well.
Susan will be in Shetland now, knitting!
One of my grand daughters in Oz got an air con man in. He drilled through a water pipe and trashed their modem and expensive Smeg toaster. Bad day at work! (I always laugh when I see that brand name......)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

There's an ad on the local Gumtree for a 'Titan' concrete breaker. which is what we used to call a pneumatic drill, but electric. Said to have recently had new brushes fitted, and only £140.

Being sold by someone called Maureen - seems incongruous. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Maybe the husband is now under the patio and the surface has been re-levelled.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I used to live with a lady called Maureen. Never ever underestimate a woman called Maureen!
Later.... Listening to Today on R4. I have commented on the quality of outside contributions before but this morning it's particularly noticeable that even calls in the UK are making the contributors sound as though they are shouting down a drainpipe. I can understand distortion and drop outs in international calls but surely they can do better than this in today's day and age?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I wondered whether to post that or not - must be seriously off topic' - but I did.

Indulge me. I don't get out much. :smile:

A byproduct though - the word 'incongruous ' appeared soon afterwards - so that's 'all good'.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 09:21 `NovaSAR: UK radar satellite to track illegal shipping activity' LINK
I can't quite get my head round the declared usage. So this thing whistles round the Earth looking for ships that are not apparently identifying themselves properly. [... giving a best resolution of 6m with a swath width of 15-20km ] Anything which concerns the UK will be covered in half a dozen passes This sounds like a common or garden spy satellite to look in peoples back yards, usually foreign countries, to see what's going on. Must give over thinking about what I'm told!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If they find anything interesting about my backyard I'd be surprised......
The fact that Vince Cable modified his superb phrase when he actually delivered the speech.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Last night actually, I noticed that the end of my HF wire antenna has broken from it's paracord tether which in itself is intact but now hanging free. The end of the ladder line antenna is in my next door but one neighbours back yard. Must be the termination on the ladder line that has failed. I'll have to get someone to sort that for me, can't do it myself at the moment.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 08:15 Last night actually, I noticed that the end of my HF wire antenna has broken from it's paracord tether which in itself is intact but now hanging free. The end of the ladder line antenna is in my next door but one neighbours back yard. Must be the termination on the ladder line that has failed. I'll have to get someone to sort that for me, can't do it myself at the moment.
Will it require someone to go up on the roof?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My 'middle' offspring has been working on a project for the last year or so writing, and performing, original songs with a new band, U-matic. Following the tragic demise of Allan Parkinson, at the 2017 Bands on the Square, he wrote a song called Square and it's being played on the BBC on Saturday evening.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent news on the song Kev.
Big Kev wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 18:28
PanBiker wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 08:15 Last night actually, I noticed that the end of my HF wire antenna has broken from it's paracord tether which in itself is intact but now hanging free. The end of the ladder line antenna is in my next door but one neighbours back yard. Must be the termination on the ladder line that has failed. I'll have to get someone to sort that for me, can't do it myself at the moment.
Will it require someone to go up on the roof?
Not exactly Kev, the end of the wire is fastened to my neighbours gable end via a carabina on the paracord to a SS screw eye. The screw eye is fixed on the gable at about troughing height. The paracord length needs un-clipping and retrieving so that I can remake the fastening to the 300 ohm ladder line that the antenna is made from and then re-attaching to the screw eye.
Ian

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”