MEDICAL MATTERS

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Cathy »

Did the physio tell you to lay on your side, knees together at a 43 degree (yes 43) angle, with a pillow positioned in between , knees to ankles. This relieves your core and helps to put things back in line. I had to do it 20 minutes at a time, then get up and stay upright for 20 minutes. I did this many times a day over many months.
And also whatever I did I had to remember to do it 'straight on' , meaning that I wasn't to reach or stretch to the side or up or down for anything. It was all very awkward for a long time. And don't carry anything heavy.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

No. She didn't mention anything like that.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One of the main defences I learned over the years was to make sure that any lifting I had to do (and there is always some!) is best done using both arms taking equal weight, straight in front and with a straight back, use your knees to power the lift. Awkward at first but it gets to be a habit eventually. Always use one hand to support the weight of even a light lift like reaching for something. Most useful of the lot, and it can give instant relief from nerve pain below your waist, is to preserve your lordosis (the inward curve towards the base of the spine). Look it up for for full details. The way it was explained to me was that humans are designed to be on all fours and that inward curve is the natural consequence, walking upright damages this. (This applies to peeing as well, we empty our bladders more efficiently if we are on all fours.....)
The good news Maz is that eventually, if your experience follows mine, as your defences improve and you get older the pain recedes. Touch wood, I hardly ever have any pain now.
Good luck with it and do look up lordosis!

Thinking about you reminded me of something else so I have come back! The most likely time to trigger pain is when you get out of bed in the morning. This will sound strange but believe me it works, leave your socks and knickers on in bed. This eliminates two of the most likely causes of triggering pain, putting them on as soon as you get up. Change them during the day when you have loosened up. The other cause of pain this eliminates is the spasm in your back muscles as they try to defend your back. This spasm is a major component of the pain, not the spinal injury itself.
Finally..... bending and straightening is OK if you consciously do it very slowly and with thought. Quick movements are the enemy as the shock absorber component in your muscles deteriorates at a comparatively early age.
You know most of this already I know, but we need reminding!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Here are some more lifting type tips.
Heavy weights rarely present a problem. Normal practice is that because you know its heavy you walk round it testing its weight and grip until finally common sense kicks in and you get someone else to do the lifting.
Opening a bottom drawer is one of the most dangerous practices. Normally there's no problem but drawers seems to know you've got a bad back and decide to stick, you pull harder and whoops, too late. Always drop on your knees for low down work like this.
Taking things like shopping in or out of the boot of your car is asking for trouble, let 'him' do it instead.
Topping the car up with fuel is another potential hazard. Never tilt to one side to watch the pump dial. Let 'him' fill up and pay of course.
Basically its just thinking about what you are doing before you do it.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My physio Emma rang me yesterday as arranged. I am still progressing so we have deferred another meet up until after my Orthotic appointment later this month. My appointment is reasonably early on the day, 9.30 so Emma will ring me again later in the day to see what the outcome was. We will discuss any further sessions (if required) then.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Believe me, I have gratefully taken on board everything that has been said.
I am home now.
Before I left the hospital about 5 pm yesterday, they gave me two Endone tablets. ( I've also been provided with a box in my discharge drugs, along with Tramadol, Nurofen and a nerve painkiller - Pregabalin. Plus I have Panadol, Blood Pressure Pills and Metformin). I don't get along with the Endone...too strong for me...talk about being spaced out! I am trying to stick to minor painkillers during the day and I will take Tramadol at night if I need it.
The Pregabalin makes me unsteady on my feet, but they tell me I must take it.
We bought a blood sugar meter, and BSL was 16.5 this morning. We also bought a walking stick.
Booked for the spinal cortisone on 22nd. If this fails to relieve the pressure on the spinal cord, I will need an op.
Have been instructed to present at the local hospital if things deteriorate ( if bowel and bladder problems increase, or I find I can't walk at all - apparently there is a risk of paraplegia.)

But on a POSITIVE note...I am home and feeling pretty good. Bouts of pain seem to respond to walking slowly around the room.
So don't write me off just yet. Things could be much worse, and I'm actually happy to be doing well. Home is always best.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Reaching behind you for the safety belt......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Another piece of advise (oh dear), and this is for everyone, not just those of us who have suffered back injuries.
When sitting down, always feel that the seat or bed is very close/touching the back of your knees and calves. If it's not and you slip or fall to the floor, you will be back to square one.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Stanley wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 03:01 Reaching behind you for the safety belt......
So long as I get a kiss as he does it....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Good news that you are safely home Maz, take it easy.
LizG

Post by LizG »

Oh Maz, sending lots of love and support. Been there, it's awful.
Liz
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Have you Liz? Everyone I speak to from hospital cleaners to nurses to volunteers say "Don't have the spinal needle as it does no good".
But I am quite desperate. I agreed to it out of desperation! Please give me any advice you can.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Cathy wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 04:19 Another piece of advise (oh dear), and this is for everyone, not just those of us who have suffered back injuries.
When sitting down, always feel that the seat or bed is very close/touching the back of your knees and calves. If it's not and you slip or fall to the floor, you will be back to square one.
When I was post op and in first stage recovery with no muscle memory or function down my right side, my physio's taught me to reach out behind me with my good arm to feel the bed or chair when sitting down. Safety in case the muscles give way. I don't need this action now as my strength has built back up and I can control the muscular actions required for the manoeuvre both ways when sitting or standing from a sitting position.

I have mentioned before that recovery gains can be quite subtle. Gone backwards again today and I have a very tight and painful calf muscle on the right side this time. I am back on paracetamol so that I can function. I think this is because I am working the muscles more, with my exercises and my walks out. Hard job this learning to walk again! :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's good to hear you are home now Maz. Keep up the positive note! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Doing good. Yesterday I had an eight hour stretch where I was entirely pain free. I could walk normally, didn't require the walking stick and could pee normally.
Today I've had a four hour stretch of the same good fortune (at time of writing). Let's hope I get another 4 hours. Managed to walk around the supermarket for our weekly shopping, plus we have done our usual daily walk without the stick ( gosh it is hard to walk with a numb foot and rubber leg!)

Stanley....is Mags visiting at present? Sorry I haven't caught up with all topics recently.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

She flies out of Perth on Sunday Maz, looking forward to seeing her! (She is spying on us, she just Whatsapped to say she was packed!) Glad you are home.... Take notice of what Ian says about one hand for the ship and one for yourself. It gets to be second nature.
Needles in spine.... 50 years ago I refused the dye injection in my spine for a Myelogram but that was because the dye they were using then was very dangerous. A lot of people had big problems with their nerves after it but I am sure they will have overcome that now.
Ian remember that progress is often one step back and two or three forwards!
Airedale are on the move, I got confirmation in writing yesterday of my diagnosis and treatment plan. I am said to be on the waiting list for BCG Irrigation 'Early in the New Year'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

Marilyn wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 10:04 Have you Liz? Everyone I speak to from hospital cleaners to nurses to volunteers say "Don't have the spinal needle as it does no good".
But I am quite desperate. I agreed to it out of desperation! Please give me any advice you can.
Let me start by saying I had a prolapsed disc which I think is slightly different to your experience. My Doc was reluctant to recommend any interference. His position was always that nothing was really successful. I asked him why he didn't refer me to a surgeon and his response was that they would do what they do best, operate; and that may not work.

I was in bed for about 6 weeks before I could stay up for any length of time. My instruction was to get out of bed every hour and walk as far as I could in 10 mins, then go back to bed with an ice pack. At first I could barely make it to the back door and back. By the time the 6 weeks was up I could walk about 500m (albeit slowly).

You can only do what is best for you. No one else can feel your pain. I can only say that mine is well managed now and pilates helps a lot. Give me a call if you feel like a chat.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was very much the attitude of my old GP Arthur Morrison and in the end he was proved right. The spine is still a very difficult area.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I can't lay in bed, Liz. I'm better off walking about. It is getting OUT of bed that is horrendous. Getting in to bed is just as bad. Even in the hospital they often had to give me pain relief stood up, as I couldn't get into bed for it.
Blood Sugar down to 10.8 tonight. ( woohoo!) A slight niggle of pain returning, but at present I am comfy enough in the recliner. Gosh I've had a good day and cannot complain.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

So sorry to hear all of that Maz. i seem to have missed this conversation. I do sympathise having been there. I did have the op and never looked back. However this is the reason I do so much pilates and yoga, particularly the former. I hope the tablets don’t affect you, i had hallucinations and eventually was taken off pregablin and tramadol and put on liquid morphine.

I did the same physio exervises as Cath lying on tbe floor throughout the day for 20 minutes a time, even when I was at my art classes. I have to say rather negatively it did no good. The physio gave me lots if core strengtgening exercises too , much like my pilates ones. After my op the physio I had then said she could see that I had been doing them as my recovery was very fast indeed.

Hope it all settles down quickly
If you keep searching you will find it
Mags

Post by Mags »

Maz, I am all packed, checked in on line, seats booked and ready to fly. Just have to wait untill 10.20pm tomorrow night and a very nice Emirates A340 to ferry me to Dubai then on to Manchester. Car hire is sorted so I will be at dads on Monday afternoon. Then on to Micks mums in Clitheroe to stay with her.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I don't like the Pregabalin Sue...it makes me ataxic ( no hallicinationa yet!), and they give me a very dry mouth, but they tell me I must take it. I have only needed the Tramadol once a day and I don't seem to have any bother with it. I can't take the Endone/won't take the Endone since "tripping" on a dose the hospital gave me to travel home ( I was hearing voices and answering them. Hubby asked me who I was talking to. It lasted a good 6 hours. They are evil. I won't take them and the packet is in tact) I would probably trade them for the Tramadol if possible. I am allowed to take Tramadol every 6 hours, but have only needed them once a day.
I had one dose of Paracetamol today after having Tramadol at 03.30am.
I will try to go to bed without anything further.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm thinking of you Maz even if I'm not saying much! I have no experience to draw on. 🙂
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 01:53 ( gosh it is hard to walk with a numb foot and rubber leg!)
I can certainly relate to that!

You seem to be making progress at the moment Maz, take care and I hope it continues.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”