WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by PanBiker »

Wendyf wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 19:09 If I was offered the choice, I'd rather run the 268 miles of the Spine Race than row the Atlantic in a small boat.
Stanley wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 02:57 Summer or winter it sounds like masochism to me!
I'll be happy getting to the trigs on Weets and Penyghent. :extrawink: :biggrin2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It won't be long before you are up there Ian, and in much better weather!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Had to buy a new kettle today. Our existing one (Prestige) brewed up once for Sally this morning before she went swimming then gave up the ghost for me! No visible reset on it and I discovered a bit later that it was leaking from the water level window, bin fodder. We have had it about 4 years I think. Replaced with a black Russell Hobs jobby from the Co-Op, it has a good flip lid and it pours well so it'll do. :good:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We have what might be a unique Russell Hobbs electric kettle. When it's standing facing to the right you can read the vertical scale showing number of cups. When it's facing to the left you can't read the scale because the one on that side is upside down! It wasn't worth taking it back to the shop, we just leave it facing to the right. It does raise a question about the ability of British companies to get things right! :smile:

Last autumn I mentioned on OG about giving up on a young plumber who was very good at his workmanship but kept failing to respond to messages and not turning up when he should have done. I told him why I'd decided to stop using him and he was upset, admitted he knew he had a problem and promised to change. He's told my cousin that I gave him a telling off but that he knew he deserved it and he's trying to correct the problem. In the meantime we asked for a quote for a new shower, loo and basin from an older plumber who was recommended to us. That was in November and he came a couple of times but was difficult to communicate with between visits and wanted to see us at strange times (once at 9.00pm on a Sunday). He gave us a price verbally but we couldn't get anything in writing from him. Then he failed to give us a promised swatch for shower panels by the promised Monday so when Friday came round we went to Wickes and invited them to quote instead. We'd rather support the self-employed but its no good when they give poor customer service.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well - if someone with Ian's skills and experience chooses to bin it rather than repair it, I don't see much future for the recent campaign for the opposite to happen. :smile:
P1000722.JPG
Here's my 'Prestige' copper bottomed pan. I can vouch it is over fifty years old, and still going strong, though not used much now since it is too big for one. Didn't the factory used to be at Burnley? I've just given it a spring clean, and I can't find the Prestige mark anywhere - but I'm fairly sure it is.

RE - tradesman. I've had similar experiences, and I put it down to them being too busy, and that they don't have enough 'back office' staff to do the quotes etc. The good ones can pick and choose their work, and don't need to advertise. Perhaps he didn't actually want the job, but lacked the social skills to gently tell you. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 16:16 Well - if someone with Ian's skills and experience chooses to bin it rather than repair it, I don't see much future for the recent campaign for the opposite to happen. :smile:
Manufacturers stopped making repairable kettles nearly 40 years ago, that goes for toasters and most other small domestic appliances. I saw the writing on the wall regarding serviceable products in the main (including TV's, video's etc) and left the trade for the emerging digital world. :smile:

I am fortunate to have one exception and that is my Dualit toaster. A design so good that it has not altered in 70 years. All components still available. :biggrin2:

Dualit Toaster Repair
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right David, they were in Burnley and called Platers and Stampers in those days. About 25 years ago when I set up house again I got a set of Art Culinaire pans (LINK) made in Sheffield and they are still good as new. Stainless with thick aluminium bases and should last forever!
My Jack strategy yesterday worked fine, he just slept for the 3 hours I was out....
I have a dedicated nurse for the next 5 weeks at Airedale and when she was giving me the AWFUL WARNINGS about bleaching the lavatory, sitting down to pee and splash back I told her that bleach was part of my religion and I always sit down to pee because I clean my own toilet. She said that she was going to send her husband to me on a training course because he is a serial offender and she's fed up with sitting down on wet seats! It struck me, how can a bloke be so insensitive!? I told her to make him pee in the garden......
See THIS report of Newark Airport in the States being closed because of a drone. Is the message getting though to those who have a disruptive tendency!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 16:16Perhaps he didn't actually want the job, but lacked the social skills to gently tell you. :smile:
That's exactly the conclusion we came too. We know a few plumbers who have switched to doing only boiler servicing. You can't blame them, who wants to crawl about in lofts especially when they now have extra insulation down everywhere. The other thing we notice is plumbers, electricians and builders going away to London for extended periods working on large building sites for better money.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Stanley, my hubby wouldn't qualify for a Tidy Toilet Award either...we have had "the discussion" many times...and he swears it isn't him! (Well...there are only two of us living here, so I am stumped as to who it would be).
The problem isn't the aim. The problem is the quick shake at the end. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz, buy a goat and get him to hand milk it, he'll soon get the idea.....
I realised yesterday when I got her card that my personal nurse, Helen, is a Macmillan Nurse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later.... I think I have just realised who the lady was who spoke to me on Albert Road yesterday. I knew that I knew her but couldn't get it out of the back of my head. It's just dawned on me as I was going down Albert Road again, unless I have gone potty it was Carole, Doc's wife. It's so long since I saw her last. Now can anyone tell me, am I going senior or are they back in the town? I shall send an email to his old address and see what happens.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just looked at Doc's Facebook page and as far as I can see they are still sunning themselves in the Caribbean. :smile:

Doppelgänger?

Doc's Facebook Page
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a mystery then, she was the spitting image of Carole.... She said she'd call in to see me....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It sounds like more fun than Mystery Objects! :smile: Get Jack to act as chaperone.

I enjoyed this - Microsoft's `NewsGuard' plug-in currently brings up a warning that says the Daily Mail's website "generally fails to maintain basic standards of accuracy and accountability". Who'd have thought it?
`Daily Mail demands browser warning U-turn' LINK
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

PanBiker wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 10:10 Just looked at Doc's Facebook page and as far as I can see they are still sunning themselves in the Caribbean. :smile:

Doppelgänger?

Doc's Facebook Page
If you look at Carole's Facebook page she mentions a possibility of being over here in the New Year.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

That could explain it Wendy, no indication on Docs page which I drop in on from time to time to see his seafaring adventures. Maybe I didn't scroll down enough. He apologises for the 30 degrees where he is and says someone has to take the hit for the Barlick team. :biggrin2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought it was her. I hope she calls in, I feel such a fool for not immediately recognising her! I'm not on Facebook.
I've set Margaret on to finding her and asking her to call in..... That'll solve the problem!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret is taking me to visit the Drinkalls at Waddington later this morning and the sons will be there as well. It is going to be a rare treat. I loved working for Richard.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My son has had a lizard living in his garden for years. He saw it often and so did the dog - but dog never bothered the lizard and lizard never bothered the dog. Nine weeks ago, son had a sleeper wall rebuilt ( where lizard lived), so he relocated the lizard to a quiet area of a nearby bush creek. Guess who has turned up "back home"? Nine weeks later and the lizard is back. He knows where he wants to live. He gave my son a long knowing look before slowly heading back to the sleeper wall. Wonder how he did it? Lizard is about 16 inches long..
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

The blue tongue in my garden has been here longer than me, it's probably over 15 yrs old and has 3 specific spots where it sleeps and has shelter. If kept safe they can live 20-30 yrs. The females stay close to a home base and the males can wander over an area of about 15 house blocks. I've counted 13 stripes down the length of its back. I put water out for mine and see it 2 -3 times a week , so I imagine it stays close.
Lizzy the lizard or Lenny the lizard... I've no idea, but have never seen any baby lizards.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing as interesting as that. Simply that I forgot to go to the butcher's! I cured it by going out a se3cond time, good for the exercise regime and Jack but I shall try not to do it again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just back from a lovely visit to Richard and Ursula, They both look great and we had a good crack..... I've promised there will be another visit while they are both well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Still mulling over my visit yesterday, it woke lots of very good memories. I don't doubt it will have done the same for Richard!
News that Trump has cracked and the US shut down is cancelled for 3 weeks. Don't expect it to start again, he has found his way to do a U turn. If the Democrats are smart they'll throw him a scrap but on the main event, the $5.7billion for the Wall, forget it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two Old Blokes going back 50 years......
On another matter, another dam burst in Brazil Tiz.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Great pic Stanley.
Did the years and aches and pains just fade away while you both had a good old chinwag? Hope so :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”