HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by Stanley »

These things vary so much and what suits one doesn't do for another. It depends on which nerve is affected and how. Tiz, your comment on time and patience is right, all I would add is 'slow and careful' to that which is a slightly different version of the same thing in respect of individual movements.
On another topic, I always buy bleach, Tomato Ketchup and Detergent in bulk, much cheaper that way. However, my 5ltr Fairy cost £15 which is more per litre than the small bottles. so why do it? The answer is that Professional Fairy Liquid is much stronger, one drop does as much work as 1 teaspoonful of the others and in the end it is far cheaper. So that's today's tip, the dearest is sometimes the best, you have to experiment to find out.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 04:08 you have to experiment to find out.
Tizer mentioned something similar a while ago, so I did some research. I bought a bottle of Fairy Liquid, for about 3 x my usual spend and checked its performance. Result - it's really no better than my usual 40p bottle of yellow stuff from Home Bargains. Quite unscientific I know, but reinforces the principle of never buying anything that is so heavily advertised on TV. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I buy a budget washing-up liquid ( called Earth) for items that clean easily,
and another one (concentrated) that costs more (called Morning Fresh) for the odd items that need a soak and a bit of a scrub. Both very good for each task.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I think the washing up liquid that I found weaker than Fairy liquid was Sainsbury's. Perhaps I need to try a different type. I tried the Co-op version but it had a nasty chemical smell. Perhaps I'll have to try this - it might smell better! LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I use Gumption on tough stuff...
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I used to formulate and manufacture these liquids and I can assure you there is a lot of difference between the best and worse. People generally over-use these products, one squirt is all you need - but how much is a squirt? I'm guessing that Tripp's quick trial fell into that category, but some home brand detergents are very good so he is right to stick to what he finds best. Don't go off the viscosity, "it's thick so it must be good", viscosity is easily and cheaply changed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very true China. I go by how little I can get away with, literally one drop in most cases, and how it performs with boiling water soaking char off a grill pan. The 15ltr Fairy wins on both counts.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Years ago i worked next door to a unit that made and filled little sachets of shampoo, the guy running it bought 45 gal drums of Teepol, Shell i think?, he made a small fortune on each drum he used, an aside i once worked in a pilot plant laboratory, the senior chemist told me that to make detergent thicker adding salt would do the trick ?
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

chinatyke wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 01:46 but some home brand detergents are very good
I think is a feature of modern retail that the quality of 'own brand' products is now on a par with other goods. I think it accounts in part for the success of Aldi and Lidl.

It didn't work for the Danish (?) company Netto who tried and failed to get into the UK market for (I'd say) that very reason. I think Sainsbury tried to revive the chain a few years ago, but even they failed, and gave up.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember Teepol well Bodge. It was the go-to detergent in the early days.
The marketing of these things is always devious.... I remember when washing powders were made deliberately aggressive so that you also needed 'fabric softener' as an after treatment. We once modified a vessel used to make the essential ingredient for this at a chemical plant at Littleborough. The process was very dangerous, done at extremely high pressure and temperature and involved the use of pure hydrogen that added a risk of explosion! All that to fulfil some marketing man's Cunning Plan!

Yesterday Susan had to call in at West Cumberland Farmers in Skipton for some dog food. I looked round while I was in there and found this. It's a compound of Neat's Foot and other oils and is for preserving and softening leather horse harness. I always have some about but have run out and I have been thinking about it for a while. Yesterday I found the solution. So today's tip is that this is the best and most natural way of preserving and softening leather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I did a recce yesterday to our new 'Cathedral of choice'. Aldi haven't opened yet - (imminent), but M&S have. I picked up a trolley which needed a pound , but it wasn't attached to the others - so I grabbed it, and in I went. I gave everything a good 'two coats of looking at' . Conclusion - if you think Waitrose is dear, try coming here. I'll spare you the detail - just not for me.

Gave up, and returned the trolley to the row. Plugged it in, and ended up with a £1 profit. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Bodger wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 08:57 ... an aside I once worked in a pilot plant laboratory, the senior chemist told me that to make detergent thicker adding salt would do the trick ?
Salt is one thing that could be used but it could also lead to cloudiness in the more concentrated products.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Plugged it in, and ended up with a £1 profit. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. :smile:
Brilliant David!
If the dog starts coughing it's time to vacuum the carpets. You might not be able to see them but hairs are building up!

I know you smile at my sink fetish but I think any of you would be proud to have one as clean as this.... I have slightly modified my morning bleach routine. Before I wipe the sink with the scotch-pad I put one drop of Fairy Detergent on it and it is an improvement.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

That photo is an example of what National Service can do! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've never thought of it like that but I think you could be right Tiz!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today's tip. As the years mount up, ignore them. What matters is how you are handing the mileage! I am convinced that one of the most important positive factors in my life is looking after Jack and letting him take me for walks outside in the fresh air for at least an hour a day! Despite the handicap of the side effects from the BCG we are doing fine!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you ever decide to start smoking a pipe get a Falcon like this. You can take them to bits and clean them. Better still, get 7 and have a clean pipe every day. The aluminium bowl and stem act as a condenser and trap most of the tars. The best solvent for cleaning the inside of the stem is methylated spirit scrubbed with a pipe cleaner and then flushed with water. You'll get the benefits of the tobacco and avoid the worst of the nasties. That's my story and I'm sticking to it......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

If you decide to start smoking first visit your Doctor and then a Psychiatrist for advice. If this fails to dissuade you talk to anyone suffering from lung cancer and see what they have to say. Stanley should know better than to promote this c**p on a site that prides itself on common sense.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well said P. Best thing I did when I quit the fags, Over 10 years now and I'm fairly sure its why I can still walk up hills and ride my bike, (present blip accepted). Don't want any rubbish about pipe smoke being "better for you" either, we have folk in our support group that would disagree.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

There is NOTHING positive about smoking. Cazza and I have been "clean" over 5 years now. Correct me if I am wrong Cazza.
Though I never felt ill or short of breath or anything negative from smoking, I smell so much better and so do my clothes. And I am so much more kissable! When I was recently in hospital giving my history, a row of doctors clapped me when I said I used to smoke but kicked the habit. It was a bit strange to be clapped and I expect they think it should be a pleasant reaction for a patient to receive ( I thought it over the top...but I was in so much pain at the time they may have even clapped me if I could touch my own nose!!!!)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Wow is it 5yrs! I have been so used to not smoking I haven't even thought about it for so long. I try to hold my breath if I have to walk past smokers , cigarette smoke is just awful.
Yes I have put on some weight (not heaps), but Hey! I'm healthier in other ways.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well there you are...... I do like being out of step occasionally!
Incidentally, I wasn't 'promoting' smoking, just advising on the best way to manage a pipe if that's your bag..... All good sound advice.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I've had a peep back into my 'archives' (old calendars) and they say that Marilyn and I gave up smoking very early January 2013, so that's just over 6 years. :good: :thankyou:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh! Thanks Cazza. Gosh...time flies.
Aren't we wonderful?!!!
( so how big is your "pot of money"? You know how we thought we would save SO MUCH from not smoking? :laugh5: )
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My quitting and start on three months of patches was six months prior to my first grandchild being born. I realised that I would quite like to go to her wedding, if that ever happens. If not, just take part in her growing up. Comes in handy for the other two as well, and I reckon a quicker recovery from major surgery, win, win all round. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Nostalgia”