WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Tizer »

Some of you will remember my story about in the 1980s finding local gin being passed off as Gordon's in Majorca by using similar bottles and labels but with the name being `Godron's' (sic). I told the story back in 2011 when fake vodka contaminated with methanol was turning up in Britain. There had been other instances reported in 2008 and 2010. Similar reports were out in 2014 and 2016 and again now:
`A dodgy holiday drink made me go blind' LINK
Here's my old post from 2011...
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a genuinely frightening story.....Coincidentally I was telling Val Webster, the Labour history lady, yesterday about the fact that the main reason the Co-operative Society was founded wasn't cheap food but unadulterated food as this was rife in the 19th century. I pointed her towards Jack Drummond's book on the subject. It makes horse meat in burgers look innocuous! (Ian, she seemed to be very happy with our conversation.... She's going to come back so I can vet her text.)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent Stanley. :good:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Not something you see every day, the air ambulance on the town green this morning (pic from Facebook), an incident of some sort in St James Square (according to the Facebook gossip)

My old house (blue door) in the background.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent flying skills to land between the trees. Amazingly quiet, I only heard it circling earlier but saw it when it took off rising above Ash Grove.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A rare photo of a mother wrench feeding her young.
52396262_2203870812967118_3322065918221090816_n.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 10:44 Image

Not something you see every day, the air ambulance on the town green this morning (pic from Facebook), an incident of some sort in St James Square (according to the Facebook gossip)

My old house (blue door) in the background.
Apparently the 'incident' was down near St Joseph's church. There was some video footage of it taking off, very skilled indeed.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 19:16 A rare photo of a mother wrench feeding her young.

52396262_2203870812967118_3322065918221090816_n.png
:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You will notice that you cant quote a post with an image included as an attachment correctly. The attachment is only relevant to the original post and is not copied over when you include the quote.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard the helicopter come in and we were directly under its path, loud enough to make Jack bark so I think the noise level depends where you are in relation to the course.
Love the pic Wendy!
Watching Pluggy working his magic. Some things have defeated us as yet but I shall struggle on for a while before I call him back. See computer thread.....
Mick turning up with a new, very high quality toilet seat for me and fitting it. Better than the last one, the hinges are easier to clean! Thank you Mick.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later..... I was crossing the car park on my way to empty Jack and I was accosted by a hen party. They wanted me to do a pic of them so I did. They were a lively bunch! They have promised to send me the snap and if and when I am able, I'll post it for you.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

The things you get up to Stanley... Haha :extrawink: I bet that made your day.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Haha, did you escape virgo intacto, so to speak, Stanley! :laugh5:

Wendy, that's a very clever idea for the pic and well-suited to engineers, of course!

The sight of the helicopter among the trees is very familiar to us now. We live about half a mile from the main area hospital and it has a helicopter pad bang outside the front doors. The hospital is in a densely populated place with many trees around it and the helicopter lands with a 3-storey building on two sides and roads on the other two. Large trees are just across the road. They land at night too! When one is due to arrive the roads around the hospital have to be closed and pedestrians kept away from the pad.

Our house is also about 50 metres from the fence around the college playing fields and helicopters land just inside the fence, again almost right up against trees and houses. Amazing.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Four jets flying low overhead this morning, they were part of the Sheffield fly past organised to commemorate the death of 10 American Airmen in a bomber crash 75 years ago. They were F15 Strike Eagles and looked very scary!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... st-honour/
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not as scary as that hen party!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

EE nagging me again about not making calls or sending texts. I wish they'd shut up! I might ring Talk Talk, I have an idea I qualify for a free sim card....... Later....
Jack and I were walking up Butts, him off the lead of course as usual and we met three men with a terrier on a lead and a big black Lurcher running loose. You've guessed it, the Lurcher went straight for Jack, grabbed his back and shook him like a rat, it knew it's job. Jack bolted and after I had told the bastards exactly what I thought about them and set off after Jack hoping he would head straight for home. I was right, Brian was out with his dog, saw him, knew something was wrong and shut him in the back yard. I got him inside, gave him a sausage which he ate immediately and I examined him. Judge my relief when I found no wounds, when the Lurcher picked him up it must have been by his harness. He's lay quiet behind me and I think we have been lucky.
I rang 101 and got through straight away. I told the lady I knew they couldn't send the 7the Cavalry but they need to know these buggers are about after game. She said she'll alert a patrol car to have a poke round Brogden and Bracewell.
I have had a whisky.......
Just had a play with Jack and his ball to see how he's moving. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. We have been very lucky. What saved him was his harness and I have taken note. When he was nearly killed he hadn't got it on, I shall always leave it on in future even in the morning when we are near home....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Pleased to hear that both you and Jack got away unscathed.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You don't need that Stanley and that Jack and yourself are OK , relatively. :sad:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks to both of you. You're right Ian, I don't need shocks like that. I didn't think about myself, I just told those wastrels exactly what I thought of them. The police woman was very good, first time I have ever got through on that line.... We'll go out for a trot now and then dinner and bed for both of us.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 04:54 EE nagging me again about not making calls or sending texts. I wish they'd shut up! I might ring Talk Talk, I have an idea I qualify for a free sim card.....
Most mobile operators will suspend accounts if there is no traffic on the device. I'm with EE for my mobile and you have just reminded me to top up. I'm on their £1 a week deal, does all I want it to but I do use my mobile for odd texts, whatsapp, and calls. I have just chucked a tenner at it so will be OK for a while. Calls and text allowance is just about right and I never use much of my data allowance.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's what I'm on, must make a few calls.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Would you believe it? Perhaps it's no surprise that the port dumping the sludge is one of the biggest exporters of coal....
`Great Barrier Reef: One million tonnes of sludge to be dumped' LINK
`Australia plans to dump one million tonnes of sludge in the Great Barrier Reef. Despite strict laws on dumping waste, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA) gave the go-ahead. A loophole was found - the laws don't apply to materials generated from port maintenance work. It comes one week after flood water from Queensland spread into the reef, which scientists say will "smother" the coral...'
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Goodness, glad you and Jack are OK Stanley. Good on you for having a go. Will the police let you know if they catch the 'wastrels' ?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy.... I spoke too soon, As the day went on he worsened, stiffening up I think. By evening he didn't want to move and I had to lift him down and persuade him to pee. Same this morning. Worrying. I am keeping an eye on him. XXX (I am OK I think.....) I washed his back with warm water and Dettol....
Police.... I doubt it Cathy.
Tiz, never let the environment get in the way of making money!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Could he have been clipped by a car whilst bolting home, Stanley? He may have soft tissue injuries and bruising.
Better cook up a few more sausages...

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”