WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Wonderful, now use the technology to make a domestic micro-wave that cools instantly!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The change in the weather.... almost Spring-like this morning even though we have 100% overcast. Could we have wintered yet again.
The rabid reactions in the Right Wing media to Speaker Bercow's ruling. Have you noticed that the worse things go, the stronger the need to find someone to blame?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Click on this LINK if you have never heard of Marie Kondo..... It could change your life!
The global reaction to the Christchurch atrocity, in particular the response from the PM and Parliament. How nice to see a rational response from those in power.
The vague sense of unease that has returned now I have my next Airedale appointments. Bugger cancer!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cyber attacks are popping up everywhere now..
`Huge aluminium plants hit by 'severe' ransomware attack' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I forecast a long time ago that austerity would lead to erosion of society. Brexit has worsened that. Is that what we are seeing now? Scammers and hacking just one symptom. I picked the phone up the other day as I was half expecting a call. It was a 'lady' telling me my ISP connection had a problem. "Oh no it hasn't", bang as the receiver went down.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

if you thought you were up to speed on the Spring equinox and when Easter occurred - read this from the Diamond Geezer

This daily blog - which I've followed for ten years or so - is quite amazing. It's probably the worst case of OCD imaginable but an impossibly prodigious daily output from one person. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

OMG, and I thought I was a bit of a pedant about when the seasons start and end,. I wont feel as bad now for taking idiots to task who think that they start and end conveniently at month ends. I wonder if he has a view on County boundaries. :biggrin2:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

That post was (gently) aimed at you Ian. I thought you might enjoy it.

Not sure about Nicea in 345 AD though. That's a very long time ago. Did they have a March 21st then? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 03:42 Brexit has worsened that. Is that what we are seeing now? Scammers and hacking just one symptom.
Curiously, yesterday we got several emails trying on the business type of scam - invoices attached, payment demands, HMRC messages and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if it was prompted by the latest Brexit announcement. The scammers like to attack when people are distracted and worried. One message was very unusual. It purported to come from Lloyds bank and looked genuine with all the logos and wording probably lifted direct from a Lloyds message. It was warning of changes to the account and had various links in it - and the account was in the name of Mrs Tiz's mother, who had a Lloyds account! The give away was the lack of the usual post code verification and the email addresses not being Lloyds.

By the way...
`Brexit: Revoke Article 50 petition crashes Parliament website' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember reading the section on Easter in the Book of Common Prayer during sermons when I was a choirboy.... I didn't understand Golden Numbers then and I don't now....
Diamond Geezer needs to get out more. We all have a touch of OCD, Ian and I are not in that bloke's league.
Ditched the Damart vest...... Now that is significant!
News in the BET that the owners of the Fountain Inn have gone into administration and it is now up for sale.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tizer wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 11:31 `Brexit: Revoke Article 50 petition crashes Parliament website'
It's back up again now... LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Almost 4 million signatures this morning......
The buds on the trees, lovely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

4,033,204 as I write, the biggest response ever.

I read something about this a week ago in the newspaper. A lady had returned to the village where she was born and raised and found big trees covered in nets. Developers had done it to prevent birds nesting so they could be allowed to chop them down. In that case the developers hadn't even got as far as applying for planning permission. What next, a slash burn policy to make sure they can get planning permission?
`Why are nets appearing over trees and hedges?' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm watching it as well Tiz, getting close to 5million today.
Planners and developers hate trees, they are so untidy and always in the 'wrong place'. Think back to the slash and burn policy already in place in Sheffield where they outsourced tree care on streets and the contractor started to find 'reasons' for felling them. I've just posted an image of old Church Street in Barlick on Forgotten Corners and if I'm not mistaken there is a tree at the end next to the pub. We are lucky enough to have trees in Albert Road and Town Square and they do so much for the atmosphere and health of the town and its inhabitants. Alright, they drop leaves and sometimes obstruct vehicles, so what!
Once again Barlick is out of step with progress. One of the things that is very noticeable about the comparison of modern images to those a century ago, there are far more trees today. I love it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The woman who started the 'Rescind Article 50' petition has received death threats, what is wrong with these people?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, they are the same people who want us to crash out of the EU for no other reason than the fact they have swallowed all the lies and are xenophobic bigots anyway. Imagine them voting in another referendum.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In case anyone (like Farage) tries to tell you it's just bots and Russians driving the numbers up...
`Why bots probably aren't gaming the 'Cancel Brexit' petition' LINK

Kev, it's the same as when Gina Miller made the legal challenge against Brexit in late 2016. She faced a torrent of abuse and threats of acid attacks and now fears leaving her home. And she's no softie - in earlier years she faced a lot of abuse when she fought against financial misconduct in the investment and pension industries. Scroll down this Wikipedia page and see what she has to put up with: LINK
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 24 Mar 2019, 10:09 In case anyone (like Farage) tries to tell you it's just bots and Russians driving the numbers up...
One interesting fact about this poll is that we are talking about an internet poll that requires a unique e-mail address. Indirectly as polls go it is from a distinct group of people ie: those with internet access. The questions are... is this group representative of the general population and what percentage of those with e-mail addresses does it represent. These are big numbers in anybody's language and they should be taken notice of.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

plaques wrote: 24 Mar 2019, 11:45 These are big numbers in anybody's language and they should be taken notice of.
They were bigger numbers in the referendum and THOSE "should be taken notice of."

:biggrin2:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Agreed China. The poll for revoking Article 50 is only advisory to be discussed in Parliament. The referendum was also only advisory and should have been discussed in Parliament. But our bunch of incompetents took it as an instruction with no idea of the ultimate consequences or so it would appear. Mrs May covered up this black hole by claiming secrecy and jeopardising her negotiating position, not even willing to bring the deal to Parliament for a vote until she was forced into it by public action. Then the Tories have the gall to say Bercow's ruling was archaic when they were trying to usurp Parliament by claiming Royal prerogative. What a shambles.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

plaques wrote: 24 Mar 2019, 14:49 What a shambles.
What a way to run a country! Sack the lot of them and replace them with A.I. - Can we leave the E.U? - "Computer says no" - Little Britain. Job done.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The poll stands at over 5.2 million this morning. It may be only an indication but it's a hell of a big one. Could China be advising us that Brexit is the best option?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 03:43 The poll stands at over 5.2 million this morning. It may be only an indication but it's a hell of a big one. Could China be advising us that Brexit is the best option?
5.2 million in an unofficial poll or 17+ million in a real one, who do you listen to?

I'm of the opinion that Brexit won't happen any time soon, and Britain will keep pouring billions into the EU coffers.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm fed up with saying this China but one last time in case you are actually listening. 5.2 million informed and voluntary opinions. 17 million uninformed, in fact lied to voters presented with a binary choice and operating solely on gut instinct. I choose the former.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I walked up Ellis Street this morning and found that we had two charging points for electric cars! I had no idea we had progressed so far.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”