GROWING OLD!

plaques
Donor

Re: GROWING OLD!

Post by plaques »

Suffered a depressing discovery while looking at the population age distribution of the UK. UK Population. Suddenly I realized that there were only 5% of the population who were older than myself. Stanley is in a worse position with only 3%. In effect almost everyone I talk to is younger than me. The chances are that unless I get knocked over by an elderly driver of a mobility scooter I will be thought of as a silly bugger who knows nowt. Never mind not much longer to go.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gee thanks P. 3%?
Get used to being patronised, they forget I have a brain the size of a planet and have been everywhere and done everything.... You'll get the same treatment!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

On Wednesday I was walking up the sloped walk-way heading for the bus and 2 elderly women using walkers were heading towards me, so I stood to the left to give them more room and this #@*&? came from behind them and ran thru us all. Then I was 2 steps away from stepping up and into the bus another #@*&? sped in front of me and got on the bus. The look on the bus-drivers face !! I wish the driver had said something but he didn't.
Just another day I guess..
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think what you describe is a common facet of the behaviour of many young people these days. (Not all....) Something I have noticed frequently is that I try to steer my course when walking so that I don't inconvenience other pedestrians. Some young people walk directly at you! In these cases I simply stand still and let them make a decision.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Where has Thomo gone? Hope he is OK. I noticed he started this topic.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

He only comes on from time to time now China, same on the local Facebook sites.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Thanks Ian.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

January 25th this year was the last time Peter was on.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hospital is on my mind and one thing that strikes me is that the doctors don't seem to be very comfortable with death. They treat me like someone 30 years younger and I have to keep reminding them that after 84 years only a fool thinks there will be nothing wrong with them. All their tests are geared to 30 year old averages and it would be surprising if high mileage people hit all their targets. I shall continue to try to educate them......
[Having said that, so far I have surprised them by being inside all their parameters!]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 15:40 January 25th this year was the last time Peter was on.
He commented on a Facebook post yesterday...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 03:19 They treat me like someone 30 years younger
What could be better for your ego and waking up surrounded by young lady nurses. You'll have us wrinklies queuing up to get in.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, I had no problem with my team of 20 and 30 somethings who looked after me. I helped to educate every student nurse I came across. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I had one male nurse and the rest were female. I didn't educate anyone! I tried to keep between the lines and under the radar in order to get out of there as quick as I could!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The nurse who fitted my sexy support stockings said I had lovely legs...... She brought her mate in to see them when she found out how old I was.... Very gratifying, the cycling and walking must have worked!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Did they use the plastic bag trick to get the stockings over your heel. I got very good at doing my own once I had the all clear for the shower. I went through four pairs in the three weeks I was in. Mine were a very fetching green. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes! First time I have seen that. Mine were green as well and I have the perfect way to get them off. Get a pair of scissors and cut the buggers off! I wonder how many people have injured themselves struggling to get them off.....? Dead easy with the scissors.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

That's only relevant if you don't need to put them back on. I got pretty good at both putting them on and taking them off, the shower was a good incentive and to be relished every morning. We had a wet room on the Neuro Ward, it was bliss. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have no difficulty cutting my toenails but yesterday mentioned to Susan that my right big toe was a bit painful, not serious but grabbing my attention. If you remember, she's a trained nurse and she told me to let her have a look. She immediately identified the cause, my defective eyesight had let me down and a corner of the nail was a sharp point and was digging into the bed. She ended up giving me a complete foot service and it was bliss!
Daughters are such a good asset!
PS. She's a trained and qualified Counsellor as well but isn't allowed to counsel me which I think is a bit unfair! However I cheat and take notice of what she says during our wide ranging conversations......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

That reminds me of the Terry Pratchett book I'm reading were one character tells another `I'm not allowed to tell you that the little door in the wall behind the castle tower isn't locked at night' to which the other replies `Thanks for not telling me'.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Exactly Tiz. Not long ago as I was being ferried to Airedale by Susan and Jess, Jess is a trained therapist as well, I mentioned that few people could have such well qualified voluntary carers in the family. They both told me to forget it as I can't afford the fees!
On the whole I don't worry about old age, I just make sure I recognise my limitations and don't stray beyond them. I remain convinced that a keystone of my regime is a good routine which starts each day with a half hour walk early in the morning with my personal trainer! As for other limitations. I have always remembered the sailor's dictum of 'One hand for the ship and one for yourself'. I always automatically use one hand as a support when bending or rising from a chair.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”